What's new

Following potential 2017 draftees...

He asked for a top 5 shooters tho. I'm not putting Fultz or Bridges up there. I'd probably put Ball for his insane range and consistency all year in catch and shoot.

Its a combo of stats and eye test.

Sent from my A0001 using JazzFanz mobile app

To me it's not only about %s. It's also about how does his shooting project to develop. Looking at Bridges' pre season dx vid, his 3pt shooting was 29% in 35 listed games.
https://youtu.be/LOyxkHy-2_s?t=259
That 10% bump at age 18-19 is not too bad. Similar for Dennis Smith development, but I feel like Smith is very streaky and I don't know if that's because he sometimes plays out of control.
Fultz on the other hand alread shoots 42% on 5 attempts, similar to Bridges, but the degree of difficulty of his attempts is insane, due to the poor coaching and quality of his teammates. If you'd let him play in a sportsVU equipped arena the effective 3p% when you consider proximity of the contesting defender, being on the move vs catch and shoot, his adjusted %s would skyrocket.
His balance is really special when he pulls up and he's got a consistent release point at such a young age. Once his NBA squad starts winning(or maybe he'll win from the start - thx Billy King) and his team has proper spacing on the court, PnR defenses will face difficult dilemmas going over screens, switching and helping in driving/diving lanes. He's already unfazed by players going up to reject his 3s because he knows he's longer and ppl can't block him, only bother/irritate.

Because if it's not just roleplayer potential as a spot up guy, we'd have to include Fultz, Ball and Bridges.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FzwcFmj4Bwg
Bridges has really smooth mechanics and a great instinct for geometry. Look how he readjusts his angle to the basket by a few degrees a couple of times when he has enough time. His free throw struggles are weird to me, but I'm willing to give a 19 yr old the benefit of the doubt when he makes 2/5 3s a game with great mechanics.

I mean just a few years back Fultz was just a mid-range shooter. Thats one of the reasons he was playing JV..

Bridges could've shot atrociously this year and still been a 1st rd one-and-done..

Ball is a player that went under consideration.

Markus Howard is a 5'10" PG I've made a few posts about here, he's actually too young for this draft despite being a freshman for Marquette. He led the NCAA's shooting 54.7% from 3.

James Blackmon Jr. could be in this draft he's easily a better shooter than most of the wings/guards listed in mocks..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=orR1KovO-rk

If we're being honest Malik Newman probably deserves a mention too. along with Derrick Walton Jr. and Monte Morris.

I mean just a few years back Fultz was just a mid-range shooter. Thats one of the reasons he was playing JV..

Bridges could've shot atrociously this year and still been a 1st rd one-and-done..

Ball is a player that went under consideration.

Markus Howard is a 5'10" PG I've made a few posts about here, he's actually too young for this draft despite being a freshman for Marquette. He led the NCAA's shooting 54.7% from 3.

James Blackmon Jr. could be in this draft he's easily a better shooter than most of the wings/guards listed in mocks..

If we're being honest Malik Newman probably deserves a mention too. along with Derrick Walton Jr. and Monte Morris.

True, I don't know much about NCAA basketball outside of high level draft prospects. But when you look at how does the shooting translate to the next level, those guys with versatility and shooting capability/potential are probably going to translate best because they have different tools to keep the defense honest and the size to make contesting/blocking a hard task to begin with.
I'll stick to my point though that Bridges projects to be a better shooter than Justin Jackson because he made the same jump from HS senior -> college frosh that Jackson made from college soph -> jr, while being in the same age group as college seniors. The likelihood that Bridges shooting develops better looks just higher to me and I enjoyed watching Jackson in the tourney.

I just think of players who wouldn't even be discussed if not for their shooting, Grayson Allen comes to mind..

Sounds overly dramatic but his 3pt shot is his saving grace.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-QStWJOjcA

I just think of players who wouldn't even be discussed if not for their shooting, Grayson Allen comes to mind..

Sounds overly dramatic but his 3pt shot is his saving grace.

True, very legit. I just thought since 3 out of your 5 on the list were lottery guys with Markkanen, Jackson and Monk plus another 1st round lock with Kennard, I'd just add a couple other high level guys.

[MENTION=2408]PG_AB[/MENTION] who looks foolish now?

Sent from my iPhone using JazzFanz

You're the one who looks foolish, you're like a battered spouse with abandonment issues when it comes to minor movements in a mock, thats still 100 days from it's final update..

Your feeble attempts to pigeon hole finality into a strung out process of constant revision is a formation of your self-amusement and we all know it.

Wanna know something thats really funny? A cold reality we all know is true too..

You don't speak to people like this every day.. For you Jazzfanz represents a very serious form of escapism, a world where you get to talk **** and not get ragged on as you would do in person...

The punchline is You go to your job and take orders like most everyone else

Me, I don't have that problem.. how I uphold myself is how I am every day. I don't change masks from being at work, to being social or leisurely to some ******* internet persona, because that's completely unnecessary. You can't afford that luxury and it's manifested itself into a boyish Norman Bates persona, congrats.

You don't like me and thats good, I prefer it that way. Much more predictable. I take solace in the fact that you leave this forum and go do what your ****ing told hahahhahah..

Me on the otherhand, I have friends who are ex-pro's I play basketball several times a week, many of my friends are professional gamblers, many of my friends are huge college basketball fans, these are the networks I choose to keep.

I'm here talking about the **** that I'd be talking about if I wasn't here. Meanwhile you are here talking about ME... see whats queer about that?

Our conversations are like;

lets say there was a big lottery I wanted to enter in 100 days and I made a thread discussing which numbers I'm going to select, and posted every day til then. Things like "I like the number 21 today", you're the type who shows up and says well I like the number [whatever] and it;s better because I said do. Then tommrow I say I like the number 7 today, feeling good about it, and you say WAIT. WHAT HAPPENED TO #21, have you no faith? are you confused?

The scarcity of the position and overall firepower on the wing works greatly in Jackson's favor, and also the tapering off of Malik Monk's play.. After Fultz/Jackson and then Frank Ntilikina it's UNC's Justin Jackson..

I literally just wanted to know why you changed your mind on Jackson. Don't think it warranted that response at all. Stop getting upset when someone asks you a hard question.

I literally just wanted to know why you changed your mind on Jackson. Don't think it warranted that response at all. Stop getting upset when someone asks you a hard question.

You didn't just ask a sincere question. You went all douchebag and got the response you deserved.

Big difference between "hey pgab, why the change on Jackson" and

"Who looks foolish now"

Bottom line: if you just wanted to know why he changed his mind, perhaps you should have simply asked why he changed his mind. Just a thought.

You didn't just ask a sincere question. You went all douchebag and got the response you deserved.

Big difference between "hey pgab, why the change on Jackson" and

"Who looks foolish now"

Bottom line: if you just wanted to know why he changed his mind, perhaps you should have simply asked why he changed his mind. Just a thought.

Lol he wants to brag about all his "right" calls but goes on the defensive when someone calls him out. He will continue to get treated like he treats everyone else.

I don't mind PG_AB, I really don't. What is annoying as **** is how he won't own up to his mistakes (he has plenty). If you want praise for your right takes (which he needs desperately) then be able to man up and admit when you were wrong about a prospect.

Don't start insulting people and going on random rants about Norman Bates and your day job and who you know. It's dumb and pointless.

It's pretty hilarious and entertaining that all I had to say was "Who looks foolish now?" to get that type of response.

My question about shooters was primarily for consistent floor-spacing purposes.

Most elite teams have these guys. Over the last few years, Curry, Thompson, JR Smith, Korver, Danny Green (bad year), Redick. There is a monumental role these guys (Curry and Klay are sort of silly examples I know) play on their teams. And to have someone at or above 40% from three is crucial imo to having big time success based on how the game's evolved.

For his career, Hood is at just 36.3% with tiny deviations from that season to season. We can blame it on injuries and whatever else but after three seasons, I believe we would have seen a decent little uptick (38.5-39%) from a guy at his age with those mechanics. And yet we haven't.

Our early season success was due in large part imo to how well we shot the ball. Along with Gobert, Ingles and Hill were in the top 5 in TS% for quite a while and they've fallen off quite a bit.

I'm of the mind that we really need to target a great floor spacer. A guy that is simply a natural shooter. All of the guys I mentioned are. In high school, in college. We looked at them as great shooters.

So, which 2's coming out are the best pure shooters who you can envision actually starting over Hood? Ideally, whomever is named can play solid d and be coached into playing above average defense.

Kennard shot 43.8% on 5.4 attempts per game. However, his standing reach is just 8'2.5".

How do you guys who know much more than me (pgab, seattle, Cy, BTP, WC) feel about him on the defensive end in the NBA?

Who will be a better version of him in the NBA?

Kennard shot 43.8% on 5.4 attempts per game. However, his standing reach is just 8'2.5".

How do you guys who know much more than me (pgab, seattle, Cy, BTP, WC) feel about him on the defensive end in the NBA?

Who will be a better version of him in the NBA?

Kennard is by far my favorite prospect in this draft. It's such a beautiful thing to watch him shoot the ball.

He is a disciplined defender and the biggest knock on him is what you already mentioned. His standing reach is hardly something that would bother a shot in the NBA. I'm not too worried about it although. Simply put he can hold his own but he is not a shutdown defender. Would fit in perfectly with this team having good defenders all-around and Gobert in the middle.

Some interesting little snippets I would like to add. He shot 51.4% on dribble pull-up shots (Hayward is elite at this) which would make me believe he will be able to get and make his own shots in the league. He is a pretty rebounder (5.1 RPG) and passer for his position with a 12.1% defensive rebounding rate and a 13.6% assist rate which is pretty good for a 6'5 shooting guard. On top of all that he had a 63% true shooting percentage and had a +1.2 defensive box score plus minus.

Last thing I want to add is he improved a ton from freshman to sophomore year and is a player I could see improving his PPG every year like Hayward has.

It's helpful if the shooter can shoot off the bounce and also create a bit off the dribble. Teams now are scheming to run guys off the 3-pt line, so a player's got to have a plan B if they get chased off their mark. Seth Curry (Steph's brother) is now making a living at this despite defensive limitations.

That said, a two-way player who can hit shots is much more valuable (see Kris Middleton).

What do guys think of Mykhailiuk from KU? There's also that Russian guy in the mid-2nd round Vezenkov.

Tyler Dorsey from Oregon had an incredible game shooting the ball in the Elite Eight. Not sure if that's an aberration though.

this guy is going to be the steal of the draft. His numbers are better than all the PGs projected to go ahead of him - it's just due to his height he's not a lottery pick. I'd love to see him fall to the jazz.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AL1p-byYCAg