What's new

Following potential 2017 draftees...

It's already the offseason for Ohio State who didn't earn an NIT invite. 22-year old Junior 7-footer Trevor Thompson has declared for the draft.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7TtT1YUkgo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aPyBaBrqQM0

Ultimately right now the Jazz are one of the big losers from this rule because of the way their roster and cap is structured, and because of all the picks they've got stockpiled..

The list of high risk high reward players to take fliers on would undeniably be much deeper, especially if HS players were allowed to test the waters like the new draft rules have..

The rule limits variety, it's a fact that there aren't all types of players in every draft. Teams should be able to locate projects they wish to develop and draft them early IMO. There's so much $$$ involved those bets are seemingly trivial in cost but the ramifications are potentially awesome..

U could argue playoff teams could take potential lottery talents off the board a year early and it hurts the re-builders... but look at the distribution of power in the NBA as is.. You have less than a handful of true contenders..

I bet DL would vote against it.

I bet DL would vote against it.

I think a lot of front offices would, it's unscrupulous. Andrew Bynum played his first game 6 days after his 18th birthday. I'd make the rule "In the year you turn 18" and not restrict it to classes or 1 year college buffers.

I know a bunch of old people are hopped up about ageism, I've heard Dickie V blather on about it on TV. This rule is essentially agism vs young people.

It's not to protect the brand or any ******** like that, that's all a complete ruse.

There would be an initial boon of talent into the first draft class the rule gets reversed from though. So a few teams would benefit. and subsequent clearing out of the following classes.. but a domino effect would happen and I think in turn we'd see more integrity as far as 20 year old HS seniors and **** of that nature..

This class system is being abused, manipulated, loopholes have been exploited and publicized, it's a ****ing sham and it's territoriality biased AGAINST domestic players.. Play HS ball in the states that means you OWE the NCAA a year of service basically.. in 99.99% of the cases (other than the select few who might have pro options overseas)

If Williamson went and established himself as a Canadian Citizen years ago he'd be draft eligible in 2019 straight out of HS in his natural class that his parents enrolled him into when he was young..

now because he's in South Carolina where he was born he's not eligible til 2020 -- Unless he were to re-classify up into the SR class next year and finish his coursework.. Which is stupid, there's no reason players should be forced into doing that sort of thing as a business decision in their teenage years... but the rule has forced their hand and it becomes prudent to explore all sorts of options.....

Last edited:
I have a "well I'll be damned" reaction to these and many other Isaac Bonga highlights. This **** is undeniably impressive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aiigVVnPl5I

This kid is such a lights out talent If the rule was "the year you turn 18" and no 1-and-done, he'd be a no-brainer to promise with the 25th pick for Utah this year in my book.. He's as positionless as it gets other than Giannis and Bron and could still be growing, he's 17 and already a legit 6'10..

Worst case to me he seems like a much better version of Kyle Anderson. best case u have some sort of Magic Johnson variation. Projected lottery pick in 2018 as is..

There's a decently famous quote from Jim Rohn that I think applies to the 1ndone rule and it's;

“You are the average of the five people you spend the most time with.”

There's a certain archetype that is built to fall in line like that.. and Dante Exum was certainly appraised to be that by many, many teams..

It's just common sense..

I mean put yourself in the shoes of a player like DeAndre Ayton or a really good young player who's worked so hard at the craft that their ready for the lottery.. wouldn't you rather be on an NBA team, practicing and traveling around vets having the chance to pick their brains for all sorts of wisdom, and getting live reps vs pros.. To me it makes sense that more of the progress would rub off.. Good habits, pro habits, could be formed earlier (obviously if u get the wrong archetype it could be a hindrance, but thats why these teams have scouts..)

Full disclosure; I'm apt to have a hit the ground running mentality.

to me going to college for one year compared to strauight to the pros is better for the kid because they should be able to be a kid and have some fun before life starts. To me college is more about maturing then it is bball. These guys can work on their games whenever they want. Anyone in the world can. Bball is a sport like that where you can doa a lot of solo training. Heck you can go shoot 2000 jumpers a day, you you can AB instead of watching videos you can go work on your game. Jeremy Tyler was a player who skipped his senior year of hs even to go overseas and how did that work out for him?

have you seen him in an actual game or just highlights?

I have a "well I'll be damned" reaction to these and many other Isaac Bonga highlights. This **** is undeniably impressive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aiigVVnPl5I

This kid is such a lights out talent If the rule was "the year you turn 18" and no 1-and-done, he'd be a no-brainer to promise with the 25th pick for Utah this year in my book.. He's as positionless as it gets other than Giannis and Bron and could still be growing, he's 17 and already a legit 6'10..

Worst case to me he seems like a much better version of Kyle Anderson. best case u have some sort of Magic Johnson variation. Projected lottery pick in 2018 as is..

to me going to college for one year compared to strauight to the pros is better for the kid because they should be able to be a kid and have some fun before life starts. To me college is more about maturing then it is bball. These guys can work on their games whenever they want. Anyone in the world can. Bball is a sport like that where you can doa a lot of solo training. Heck you can go shoot 2000 jumpers a day, you you can AB instead of watching videos you can go work on your game. Jeremy Tyler was a player who skipped his senior year of hs even to go overseas and how did that work out for him?

Jeremy Tyler was a 2nd rd pick and is still a pro basketball player in his mid-20's. He's not what I'm talking about when it comes to this, he was a failure in scouting.

The rule doesn't hurt the Jeremy Tylers of the world it hurts the DeAndre Ayton's who are ready a year early but have to go thru some trivial buffering period.

People hate waiting for buffering when it comes to their videos and streams..

but when it when it comes to college basketball players they're staunch supporters of buffering for some reason... thats puzzling to me..

many including the commish even call for 2 years of mandatory buffering..

The rule for this 1st rd mock is "in the year the player turns 18" (right now it's 19)..International players born in the year '99 are eligible. (HS Underclassman that meet the age eligibility are NOT eligible or there'd be even more out of class intrusion)

All players that are listed that otherwise wouldn't be will be denoted with a **

1 - BOS - **DeAndre Ayton 7'1" C/PF - HS Sr.
2 - LAL - **Mo Bamba 7' - C/PF - HS Sr.
3 - PHX - Markelle Fultz 6'3½" PG/SG - Washington - Fr.
4 - PHI - **Luka Doncic 6'8" SG/PG/SF - Real Madrid - International '99
5 - ORL - **Michael Porter 6'9" SF/PF - HS Sr.
6 - SAC - Jayson Tatum 6'8" SF/SG - Duke - Fr.
7 - NYK - **Wendell Carter 6'9½" PF/C - HS Sr.
8 - SAC - Lonzo Ball 6'5" PG - UCLA - Fr.
9 - MIN - Josh Jackson 6'7" SG/SF - Kansas - Fr.
10 - DAL - De'Aaron Fox 6'3½" PG - Kentucky - Fr.
11 - POR - Jonathan Isaac 6'11" SF/PF - Florida St. - Fr.
12 - CHA - Lauri Markannen 7' PF/SF - Arizona - Fr.
13 - CHI - **Collin Sexton 6'2" PG - HS Sr.
14 - MIA - **Trevon Duval 6'4" PG - HS Sr.
15 - DEN - Frank Ntilikina 6'5" CG - Strasbourg IG - International '98
16 - MIL - Robert Williams - 6'10" PF/C - Texas A&M - Fr.
17 - DET - **Isaac Bonga 6'10" SF/PG - Frankfurt - International '99
18 - IND - Dennis Smith 6'1" PG - NC State - Fr.
19 - POR - Malik Monk 6'3½" SG/PG - Kentucky - Fr.
20 - OKC - Justin Patton 7' C/PF - Creighton - Fr.
21 - ATL - **Kevin Knox 6'8" SF - HS Sr.
22 - TOR - Miles Bridges 6'7" SF - Michigan St. - Fr.
23 - ORL - Zach Collins 6'11½" PF/C - Gonzaga - Fr.
24 - BKN - **Troy Brown 6'6" SF/SG/PG - HS Sr.
25 - UTA - Isaiah Hartenstein 7' PF/C - Žalgiris Kaunas - International '98
26 - BKN - OG Anunoby 6'8" SF - Indiana - So.
27 - POR - Terrance Ferguson 6'7" SG - Adelaide 36ers - International '98
28 - LAL - **Jaren Jackson Jr. - 6'11" PF - HS Sr.
29 - SAS - **Mitchell Robinson 7' C/PF - HS Sr.
30 - UTA - **Gary Trent Jr. 6'5" SG - HS Sr.

Last edited:
Here is my my solution or at least idea.

First it starts with making the dleague and official farm team. Every team has to have one and every team has to spend a min of 5 million on their roster. (Now teams can keep some players from going over seas)

Second every high school senior has a choice enter the draft or go to college. If they go to college they have a min 2 year commitment.

That way too talent can go pro. If you are a borderline first rounder you can be drafted and developed in the dleague or you can go to college

Sent from my Z981 using JazzFanz mobile app

Here is my my solution or at least idea.

First it starts with making the dleague and official farm team. Every team has to have one and every team has to spend a min of 5 million on their roster. (Now teams can keep some players from going over seas)

Second every high school senior has a choice enter the draft or go to college. If they go to college they have a min 2 year commitment.

That way too talent can go pro. If you are a borderline first rounder you can be drafted and developed in the dleague or you can go to college

Sent from my Z981 using JazzFanz mobile app

Thats just like baseball, it's called "the 2-and-none". I'm all for that. It makes infinitely more sense than 1-and-done..

my boy's younger brother got drafted in the late rounds of the baseball draft out of hs. didn't accept the deal, did his years in college and got drafted in the first 35.

as a result of that rule you'll see success type of improvement stories like that.

you'll also see the hs phenoms like LeBron and Dwight Howard go straight to the league, and see those success stories, THERE'D BE MANY OF THEM, which are now restricted, put on hold so they can be paraded around and lauded for their talents, at colleges under the guise of being model "student athletes".

Interesting prospect:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZs11ZYnSLA

Possible stash?

Interesting prospect:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZs11ZYnSLA

Possible stash?

He'd be great value to stash in the 2nd round. Honestly if they took him with the Warriors pick I wouldn't even kill it.

I watched him play those 3 games this summer at the Fiba Euro tournaments. He's got potential and I wonder just how he measures out. I'm pretty sure prototype PF size. He's got some muscle to him and he can shoot and he's athletic, and he can dribble the ball behind his back and stuff.....

If they got him i'd almost want him in the d-league and with the team as much as possible.

he's no stiff.. not in the least bit.. I'm not sure about SF tho..

He'd be great value to stash in the 2nd round. Honestly if they took him with the Warriors pick I wouldn't even kill it.

I watched him play those 3 games this summer at the Fiba Euro tournaments. He's got potential and I wonder just how he measures out. I'm pretty sure prototype PF size. He's got some muscle to him and he can shoot and he's athletic, and he can dribble the ball behind his back and stuff.....

If they got him i'd almost want him in the d-league and with the team as much as possible.

he's no stiff.. not in the least bit.. I'm not sure about SF tho..

Chandler Hutchison scored 34 in Salt Lake last night against Utah. He is a 6'7" 2-3. Might be worth a 2nd round pick after the 18 season.

Chandler Hutchison scored 34 in Salt Lake last night against Utah. He is a 6'7" 2-3. Might be worth a 2nd round pick after the 18 season.

He looks very good. I can;t find anywhere how old he is. I wouldn't be surprised if his wingspan is over 7-foot.
D_1610_095_187

Can do a bit of everything. 2.7 assists per game. huge uptick in 3pt shooting tho not crazy volume. and he's put on 20lbs since getting to campus and grown an inch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMdBlhCJVLA

If he can really shoot off the dribble he's gonna get drafted for sure (if his age isn't crazy for the class)

I always liked Bolden.. he's got prototype size, advanced skill level and seems smart. UCLA's super loaded but still could've used him. I'd guess his range is about 50-60.. (Arnoldas Kulboka might be one of my favorite value selections in that mock at 48, no way would I take Bolden over him..)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nPyUqkM78jU&t=1s
I haven't seen Bolden play this year. seems like he's grown.. I've always thought of him as a wing player so seeing DX have him at PF is odd.

They used to compare him to Nic Batum, that was popular at one point.

Thanks
I heard his dad speak the other day and say he was 6'11 with a 7'4 WS. He was just awarded the best new talent of the ABA league. Don't know what that really says as I don't really know the level of comp but he has had a few eye opening performances. Went 7/7 from 3 in a recent game and they were pretty deep 3s. I think his explosiveness has also improved a lot. I also like his ability to handle the ball. Again I'm an Aussie so take all this with a grain of salt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk