What's new

Following Potential 2018 Draftees

We cant absorb Faried. The best offer we could make to Denver would be based around Burks and #21. Burks makes a couple million less than Faried next year and he is a U of Colorado guy, but I don't think that's enough.

Outside of Burks' expiring and #21, our only other expendable valuable assets are Bradley, future 1sts and 2nds.

I don't think anybody else is available.

Sent from my VS995 using JazzFanz mobile app

Good point. It's possible to create cap space but only during the free agency by renouncing Favors and Exum so that's a moot point. Denver's pick is off the table then.

The available picks to move up are Phoenix #16, Milwaukee #17. Phoenix would probably take a protected 2019 pick plus a second rounder if they don't like who they can get at #16. Maybe even would have something like protected 2019 pick and Bradley (I don't think his value is particularly high now). Milwaukee pick is actually even easier because if you agree to send them a future pick and take Dellavedova's deal (2 years, about $10M a year) and send back Burks who they can actually use (and he has just one year left as opposed to two) then you probably have yourself a deal here. I doubt Milwaukee really want to add more young players currently so getting an upgrade in a backcourt position, some reasonably reliable shooting and a future asset should work perfect for them.

Picks behind Jazz that the team could acquire are maybe #24 from Portland (I'm their fan so I know the situation there, you are my second team) but that would require to take on Turner's or Leonard's contracts which are just pure evil, and maybe Celtics pick for future assets.

You get #16 or #17 and #21, take Huerter and one of the promising point guards (Okobo, Simons etc.) and you are sorted in terms of future talent to work with. Huerter would IMO play at the 3 and occasionally at the 2 when Mitchell steps up to the point guard role at times. He'd also help stretching the floor massively.

Or just go all in and absorb Noah's contract from New York in exchange for #21, Burks and additional future asset. New York will want to be players in free agency at some point in the near future, letting Noah go and taking on one-year Burks deal that is serviceable helps that. At #9 you can definitely get a proper talent to go along with Gobert and Mitchell. You give up the 2019 cap space though which is a worry.

@Sarni

I'm all for trades but I'm finding extremely difficult to devise plans this year. Over the last 5-10 years, we had players and picks and expirings and sometimes good exceptions at our disposal. This year, the expendable asset cupboard is so bare.

I do think we would trade our 2019 first if the right player dropped. I don't think that player is Huerter or Okobo but somebody more like Bridges, Porter Jr, etc.

As for NY, I've speculated on us getting Noah and an asset for a while. Seems unlikely, but then again, the core of this team is signed as long as or longer than Noah's deal. The only one missing is Rubio but I'm not worried about him. I think he is staying and we wouldn't lose him because of Noah's deal.

For NY, it would have to be Burks, Bradley, a minor throw in, and #21 for Noah and #9 http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=y9sulpzg. For Charlotte, it would just be Burks and #21 for Marvin and #11 http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=y9ux4z3j We also could package #21 and 2019 to move up for something else.

We do so many workouts with guys in our range but I would love to know what our FO thinks about lottery level guys.

@LoPo

Yes, indeed it's hard to figure out what's the right deal out there. It's safe to say Utah are not likely to get a prime free agent this offseason, the speculation about Paul George come simply from the fact that Mitchell said it on Woj podcast but it wasn't even a serious conversation I feel. He's going to Los Angeles almost for sure and it's useless dwelling about this. I generally think that cap space is overrated for teams like Utah and Portland, we are both best off looking for bargains as prime free agents don't come here but we both have had plenty of success in the draft so that's where I'd look for improvements. I hated it when Portland spent all this money in 2016 free agency and it hurts us up until this very moment. Even what looked like an obvious move at the time, Hassan Whiteside, would be a terrible piece for us now.

Burks as an expiring contract, and a player who can actually contribute from time to time, has some value. I know from a Portland fan perspective that possibly swapping Leonard or Turner for him while attaching extra assets would be somewhat tempting. Crowder must also have some value across the league as a $7M a year player who you can play for 20-25 minutes a night and find use for.

Utah need a wing and a big that can shoot, probably. There are two bigs that can shoot and are very good at multiple things in this draft but both will go in high lottery. Jaren Jackson is completely off the table, Wendell Carter could theoretically fall to 9-11 range (well, he should). As for wings, the main two for me are Porter and Miles Bridges, then maybe I'd give Kevin Knox some thought (I think Mikal Bridges is also off the table). Porter is the ultimate dream scenario because the only reason he has been falling recently are his injury issues and if he is healthy, he could develop into a franchise cornerstone. A lot of the teams in the lottery are in no position to gamble on someone who might struggle to hit the floor due to health issues which gives me some hope that he falls to 9 or even 11. If that happens, Utah should probably have a conversation with New York, Philly and Charlotte.

Fully agree that Huerter, Okobo etc. are not really the kind of player you move up for.

It's anticlimactic but if everyone is gone we trade the pick, gain a vet and 2nd rounders, there are going to be some NBA players go in the 2nd round (Chimezie Metu, Devonte Graham, Grayson Allen, Barford, Simons?) and talent that goes undrafted (Macon)

My best guess, if I had a crystal ball, our pick is Huerter.

But if he's gone? DD

Is Okobo’s contract up overseas? Has he publicly started he wants to come play in the NBA this season?

This is the most perplexing draft because its compounded by the fact that we are so content with our face of the franchise and immediate supporting cast. It truly is a "best player available" with projects being considered because there might not be much playing time for this pick (if we actually use the pick).

Its possible that Exum and Favors and Thabo and Jonas all come back. If that happens, when does this pick get playing time? We are stacked at PG with Rubio and Exum and some Mitchell. We have a 36 minute per night guy at SG with his buddy O'Neale as his backup. Ingles is entrenched at SF with O'Neale and Crowder there to give him rest. If Favors is back, we have him and Crowder getting those PF minutes with Ingles and Thabo and Jonas there a bit too. Then at C, we have Gobert and Favors plus hopefully getting Bradley some time.

Honestly, when does a project get playing time of everybody returns?

My newest board with Okobo jumping in the top 7. I had to make this move since I just couldn't justify Okobo being below the Bridges and Walker. I'm reevaluating how i see him compared to the 4 bigs in the tier he's in right now... It's very possible by the end of it I will have him above some of them:

ANvkmix.jpg

Last edited:
Props for being different. I'd love for it to play out that way with SGA falling to #21 - no way he'd fall past us.

Good point. It's possible to create cap space but only during the free agency by renouncing Favors and Exum so that's a moot point. Denver's pick is off the table then.

The available picks to move up are Phoenix #16, Milwaukee #17. Phoenix would probably take a protected 2019 pick plus a second rounder if they don't like who they can get at #16. Maybe even would have something like protected 2019 pick and Bradley (I don't think his value is particularly high now). Milwaukee pick is actually even easier because if you agree to send them a future pick and take Dellavedova's deal (2 years, about $10M a year) and send back Burks who they can actually use (and he has just one year left as opposed to two) then you probably have yourself a deal here. I doubt Milwaukee really want to add more young players currently so getting an upgrade in a backcourt position, some reasonably reliable shooting and a future asset should work perfect for them.

Picks behind Jazz that the team could acquire are maybe #24 from Portland (I'm their fan so I know the situation there, you are my second team) but that would require to take on Turner's or Leonard's contracts which are just pure evil, and maybe Celtics pick for future assets.

You get #16 or #17 and #21, take Huerter and one of the promising point guards (Okobo, Simons etc.) and you are sorted in terms of future talent to work with. Huerter would IMO play at the 3 and occasionally at the 2 when Mitchell steps up to the point guard role at times. He'd also help stretching the floor massively.

Or just go all in and absorb Noah's contract from New York in exchange for #21, Burks and additional future asset. New York will want to be players in free agency at some point in the near future, letting Noah go and taking on one-year Burks deal that is serviceable helps that. At #9 you can definitely get a proper talent to go along with Gobert and Mitchell. You give up the 2019 cap space though which is a worry.
I see no way that Phoenix or Bucks are trade up possibilities for Utah.

I think SAS are the only possibility.

1. I don't think the Jazz would attach future picks to trade up.
2. I don't think the Jazz would take on longer salary like Delly for Burks. They want max, or close to it, capspace in 2019

Spurs remain the easiest/most likely trade partner because of their rumored interest in Tony Bradley at last year's draft.

Last edited:
it is funny how Sarni and in some ways lopo want to get rid of all the Free agents and get draft picks.Let's take a look at some facts

at 21 there are no players as good as Favors might as well bring favors back on a 1 year deal
at 21 it might be hard to replace Exum but maybe not. Exum is at least a known commedity.
I don't see a big that has Udohs defense available any time. Maybe Metu in the second maybe
Sefelosha is probably the easiest person to replace because with his injury we have no idea how he is coming back. Hutchinson could be a good replacement
Jerebko should be improved upon and the draft might be able to do that i like KBD.
Neto is the last free agent and he is a good 3rd guard option but there might be some cheaper options in the 2nd round. Jevon Carter for starters if he hasnt worked his way into the first round. Jalen Brunson also. Shamet also
I think O'Neale has proven a good rotational and his production would be hard to replace
The last player on the list is Burks and that is a wild card

Last edited:
Wonder what the jazz think about deanthony Melton. In that podcast the stepien guy likes him better than Lonnie says he's the best guard defender in recent yrs..
Melton doesn't get nearly enough consideration in this thread. I wonder how he's been shooting, damn good athlete with very good instincts and he can pass.

I’m firmly on the draft Troy Brown bandwagon, however it looks more and more like it will take a small trade to get him.

Cy mentioned the Spurs. With Bradley. I’m down for that.