What's new

Following Potential 2018 Draftees

My only reservation with Huerter is potentially his lack of iso-scoring and questions about how much he can do with the ball in his hands.

There was a guy last year who I liked late in the 2nd round -- Antonio Blakeney, who ended up going undrafted but getting picked up by the Bulls. Blakeney played with Ben Simmons at LSU and fell off the radar somewhat because that team was terrible. He wasn't even invited to the 2017 Combine. He spent most of the year in the G-League and had some really good games. If I'm overrating Simons' abilities, I could see Simons at least being comparable to Blakeney, and to be honest, I expect Blakeney to have an impact in the league at some point.

My only reservation with Huerter is potentially his lack of iso-scoring and questions about how much he can do with the ball in his hands.
Yup. He is going to have a harder time than Hood did scoring in the paint. He has a similar body type, but smaller. He doesnt have Hood's vertical reach or shooting mechanics that allow him to rise up over the top of defenders in mid-range/paint area shots.

I wouldn't worry about ISO scoring with Huerter. Do we really need him to do that? He will space the floor. He can drive, play off the ball, and set up other people.
His passing ability is pretty damn strong too.

We need someone who else other than DM who can do that, yes.

I don't like the way he takes his work out video so casually. He doesn't seem to have the fire to be good

Sent from my Z981 using JazzFanz mobile app

That video didn't impress me much
We need someone who else other than DM who can do that, yes.

We need another scorer, more offense, and floor spacer. another 3 pt shooter. We dont just need an ISO player. And an ISO scorer is not more important than a guy who brings
spacing, 3 pt shooting, and drive ability.

There was a guy last year who I liked late in the 2nd round -- Antonio Blakeney, who ended up going undrafted but getting picked up by the Bulls. Blakeney played with Ben Simmons at LSU and fell off the radar somewhat because that team was terrible. He wasn't even invited to the 2017 Combine. He spent most of the year in the G-League and had some really good games. If I'm overrating Simons' abilities, I could see Simons at least being comparable to Blakeney, and to be honest, I expect Blakeney to have an impact in the league at some point.

The problem is it is tough to teach defense and I do not see Simons ever even being passable

my wife died over a year ago from complications caused by a car accident. I had to make the choice to unplug her from life support then watch her die. So yes i am entitled to miss her every now and again
That's horrible. I'm sorry you had to go through this. :( Hang in there...

i can almost guarantee that the Jazz are going to draft some one that is good at defense. This is my drawback to Huerter but he is decent.
Melvin Frazier and Jacob Evans should both get a workout with the Jazz. I could easily see them impressing scouts in that setting.

i can almost guarantee that the Jazz are going to draft some one that is good at defense. This is my drawback to Huerter but he is decent.

I agree. Whoever we draft has to play defense. Defense is our identity. Everyone has to buy in. No matter who we draft, they will probably struggle offensively because almost all rookies do. Mitchell is a once in a generation talent for us and it took him close to a month to find his feet offensively.

You guys know these prospects better than me so tell me, who plays the best perimeter defense in this draft?

This is why I think KBD is the pick or one of the more athletic guards .e.g. Allen, Donte, Okogie or Smith etc.

To me KBD is the only player who can do everything the Jazz require, but obviously they’ve had workouts to increase player knowledge.

I think taking Donte or Allen is risky as the Jazz need more offence & defence (doubt they can guard 1-4). Nothing says the Jazz can’t take a player that gives them everything.

Not saying KBD or nothing but again he fits and gives the Jazz options.

I agree. Whoever we draft has to play defense. Defense is our identity. Everyone has to buy in. No matter who we draft, they will probably struggle offensively because almost all rookies do. Mitchell is a once in a generation talent for us and it took him close to a month to find his feet offensively.

You guys know these prospects better than me so tell me, who plays the best perimeter defense in this draft?

We are not looking for a defender above all else. We have Rudy, O'Neale, and DM. Yes they will look for a player who will buy into the scheme, but
I do not believe for a second that they are focused on defense over offense right now. Adding another offensive weapon makes us better next year more than
a defensive one.

We are not looking for a defender above all else. We have Rudy, O'Neale, and DM. Yes they will look for a player who will buy into the scheme, but
I do not believe for a second that they are focused on defense over offense right now. Adding another offensive weapon makes us better next year more than
a defensive one.

Sorry if I was unclear. I was saying that the player will have to have the ability to play defense not necessarily be a defender. So let me rephrase:

The FO will not draft a guy who is a defensive liability regardless of how great his offense is.

We got rid of a guy like Hood because we'd rather have guys like Crowder.

Good post. Simons a better prospect than Blakeney, Simons is a possible PG! He's got a better head on his shoulders too.

Who’s watched a lot of Knox?

Spent some time looking at him more this weekend and thought “damn....Bryant and Lang could really work with this kid”.

I think it all depends on where he goes.