What's new

Following Potential Draftees - 2019 (not kidding)

2019-Rankings.png

I grew tired of not being able to complete this so I just completed it.

I like that you have your own thoughts rather than consensus of public mock drafts.

I like Paschall but I don’t think I’d have him that high. He pops off the floor and can withstand nba physicality... I’m worried about his shooting a bit. He has some weird leg movement kickout stuff going on... Jae has some similar unnecessary leg movement... not a shot dr. So who knows how much it matters if at all.

I like taking guys that played a role in college that could be very similar in the pros. I’d be happy with Eric at 23.

If we took a cent like Gafford I’d hope we had moved back and got a couple second rounders and took him with one of those picks. Like if we could move back to 33&34 with the 23rd pick and get Paschal and Gafford that’s be awesome.

I like Paschall but I have concerns about him too. I'm not sure that his outside shot translates. His mechanics are so wonky. His legs are all over the place when he shoots it. It's not a repeatable form. It's also a slow shot that takes him a while to load up. I have concerns about his lack of rebounding production. I also have concerns about him defensively. He was a solid college defender but his movement on film is a little rigid. And his body is so wide he's gonna get stuck on some screens.

I do like his bball iq a lot. And his ability to faceup, handle and drive.

Overall I see his upside being a rotation player. I'm with Catchall that we need to aim higher on the upside meter.

I saw the same stuff on the jumper. I think he can fix it though and I like the other stuff... as a small ball four he won’t really be navigating a ton of picks and his girth will help hold his ground. I think he can be a reliable rotation piece (talking like 10 -15 minutes a night) right off the bat and that’s a huge benefit. Big swings in the 20s almost always flame out.

To me, just feels like this front office is going to go with an older prospect (22-23) who's more ready to contribute even if that means their ceiling may not be quite as high and they are a 'culture' fit. I think it's why guys like Jerome, Schofield, Paschall, Windler, etc. are considered in play while guys like Porter Jr., Langford, Bol are unlikely.

If there's a lottery talent that I think the Jazz would consider moving up for a la Mitchell a few years back, it's Keldon Johnson. He seems the most likeliest of freshmen we could possibly draft.

Of course, watch us trade out of the first round entirely and this 4+ year thread becomes an exercise in comedy.

To me, just feels like this front office is going to go with an older prospect (22-23) who's more ready to contribute even if that means their ceiling may not be quite as high and they are a 'culture' fit. I think it's why guys like Jerome, Schofield, Paschall, Windler, etc. are considered in play while guys like Porter Jr., Langford, Bol are unlikely.

If there's a lottery talent that I think the Jazz would consider moving up for a la Mitchell a few years back, it's Keldon Johnson. He seems the most likeliest of freshmen we could possibly draft.

I like it with where we are as a franchise. Guys have to be able to get some floor time to develop... if they are too raw its tough to get them on the floor with how good we are.

I like that you have your own thoughts rather than consensus of public mock drafts.

I like Paschall but I don’t think I’d have him that high. He pops off the floor and can withstand nba physicality... I’m worried about his shooting a bit. He has some weird leg movement kickout stuff going on... Jae has some similar unnecessary leg movement... not a shot dr. So who knows how much it matters if at all.

I like taking guys that played a role in college that could be very similar in the pros. I’d be happy with Eric at 23.

If we took a cent like Gafford I’d hope we had moved back and got a couple second rounders and took him with one of those picks. Like if we could move back to 33&34 with the 23rd pick and get Paschal and Gafford that’s be awesome.
I decided I like Paschall because he's a super athletic player.

I'm probably pregassing him though because I anticipate him being the Jazz pick.

I've been posting my boards for years here, but this year I haven't been able and/or willing to watch many of the prospects so I will not be posting a board this year. Just a lot of the prospects I've seen are extremely meh to me and don't excite me so at some point I just lost steam and decided to go with a less opinionated draft season this time around.

Here's the players I kind of like(from the ones that might drop to us), with the disclaimer that I haven't watched a ton of them and that I think even most of them have severe weaknesses and/or question marks:
-Kevin Porter Jr... again... huge character/attitude asterisk... and jumpshot questionmark
-NAW - kind of my favorite prospect that can reasonably fall to us... more likely we need to trade up for him
-Bazley and Lacque - look the part ON HIGHLIGHTs... no tape of any consequence available - NONE!
-Samanic and Zagars... not super convinced they are good... but again... look intriguing on limited tape I've seen... more projects than ready to contribute.

Players that are not exciting in the traditional sense but IMO can be solid:
-Ty Jerome and Talen Horton-Tucker... and Okeke(ACL out for rookie season)

I saw the same stuff on the jumper. I think he can fix it though and I like the other stuff... as a small ball four he won’t really be navigating a ton of picks and his girth will help hold his ground. I think he can be a reliable rotation piece (talking like 10 -15 minutes a night) right off the bat and that’s a huge benefit. Big swings in the 20s almost always flame out.

Even if they are likely to flame out I'd rather take the swing than not. We're in a position where just one more draft hit like Rudy or Donovan could get us a ring at some point.

Even if they are likely to flame out I'd rather take the swing than not. We're in a position where just one more draft hit like Rudy or Donovan could get us a ring at some point.

that's fair... I also think having a Kyle Kuzma or Malcolm Brogdon level of hit would change things quite a bit for us. I guess Dante has kinda soured me on projects... Tony Bradley too.

Bol I would at least understand the theory of how he is worth it... so I wouldn't be too down on the pick... just a preference not to take on projects.

I like your strategy and think your right but Keldon Johnson a player who could slip to the Jazz. He went from Lottery to non lottery one year under Coach Cal, most overrated coach ever. Bol Bol someone Is going trade up to the teens to draft him. Big gamble, big payout.

I know I can't wait to see Michael Porter Jr in the summer league this year. He might not have the numbers Zion will get but he has potential to win ROY since he will be a rookie like Blake and Ben were. Nuggets need a go to scorer and if MPJ can do that at 7foot then the nuggets are going be a handful and a top western conference team for awhile. All but Millsap are young. Nuggets had one of the youngest teams in the league last year.

I like your strategy and think your right but Keldon Johnson a player who could slip to the Jazz. He went from Lottery to non lottery one year under Coach Cal, most overrated coach ever. Bol Bol someone Is going trade up to the teens to draft him. Big gamble, big payout.

What teams do you think would try and trade up for Bol Bol? not being critical... just curious.

What teams do you think would try and trade up for Bol Bol? not being critical... just curious.

I think Celtics grab him at 14 but a team like Golden State, oKC,Philly, Portland.
Imagine a Pick n pop with warriors, the there point shooting twin towers with Joel Embied. Portland always needs bodies And Not going resign Meyers Leonard, who I think the Jazz should go grab.

I've been posting my boards for years here, but this year I haven't been able and/or willing to watch many of the prospects so I will not be posting a board this year. Just a lot of the prospects I've seen are extremely meh to me and don't excite me so at some point I just lost steam and decided to go with a less opinionated draft season this time around.

Here's the players I kind of like(from the ones that might drop to us), with the disclaimer that I haven't watched a ton of them and that I think even most of them have severe weaknesses and/or question marks:
-Kevin Porter Jr... again... huge character/attitude asterisk... and jumpshot questionmark
-NAW - kind of my favorite prospect that can reasonably fall to us... more likely we need to trade up for him
-Bazley and Lacque - look the part ON HIGHLIGHTs... no tape of any consequence available - NONE!
-Samanic and Zagars... not super convinced they are good... but again... look intriguing on limited tape I've seen... more projects than ready to contribute.

Players that are not exciting in the traditional sense but IMO can be solid:
-Ty Jerome and Talen Horton-Tucker... and Okeke(ACL out for rookie season)
Dont be a baby, do a board

If the Jazz do decide to stay at 23, I have a feeling they'll play it safe and go with either Eric Paschall, Cameron Johnson, Terence Davis, Dylan Windler, Ty Jerome or Admiral Schofield.