Interesting comparisons:
Larry Legend:
Both Bird and Hayward are from Indiana
Both Lead small Indiana schools to National Title game
Both got beat by bigger program in National Title game
Both considered "too white" to be great

Deron Williams
Both got drafted after losing in National Title game
Both drafts had bigger players the Jazz wanted (Bogut and Cousins)
Other players were considered better that were drafted later (CP3 and a long list)

Interesting comparisons:
Larry Legend:
Both Bird and Hayward are from Indiana
Both Lead small Indiana schools to National Title game
Both got beat by bigger program in National Title game
Both considered "too white" to be great

Deron Williams
Both got drafted after losing in National Title game
Both drafts had bigger players the Jazz wanted (Bogut and Cousins)
Other players were considered better that were drafted later (CP3 and a long list)

So if he is not as good a Larry Legend then do we get to slap you?

You forgot to mention that Larry Bird Averaged 30PPG 13.3 RPG 4.6 APG while in college

Also....We traded up for Deron Williams, we didnt wait for him to come to us at the 6th pick because he wouldve been gone. We didnt settle for Deron Williams like we did for Hayward.

Both of your statements are irrelevant besides the tournament which is coincidence

You forgot to mention that Larry Bird Averaged 30PPG 13.3 RPG 4.6 APG while in college

Also....We traded up for Deron Williams, we didnt wait for him to come to us at the 6th pick because he wouldve been gone. We didnt settle for Deron Williams like we did for Hayward.

Both of your statements are irrelevant besides the tournament which is coincidence

Umm, you are aware, aren't you, that the Jazz tried hard to trade up but could not reach a deal?

Umm, you are aware, aren't you, that the Jazz tried hard to trade up but could not reach a deal?

I think thats a load of ********, if they were actually trying hard, we would atleast have something done.

Golden State was wanting to give up their 6th pick because Udoh would fall back
Minnesota was trying desperately to get something

In reality what this comes down to is money.
Utah didnt want to spend the money nor take on a contract(Monta Ellis,Elton brand) to try and move up and get a better pick.

They tried their hardest to move up without spending money thats for damn sure, and look what it got us.

I think thats a load of ********, if they were actually trying hard, we would atleast have something done.

Utah didnt want to spend the money nor take on a contract(Monta Ellis,Elton brand) to try and move up and get a better pick.

They tried their hardest to move up without spending money thats for damn sure, and look what it got us.

Yah a sweet Small Forward that will be awesome vs. a few ok bigs that will be bench warmers

More than likely teams we talked to about moving up wanted Millsap in return. Unless we plan to re-sign Boozer, which I doubt, I don't think $$$ was an issue.
From what I'm reading, this was a better pick than Babbitt. I'd not have been happy if we'd picked Aldrich. At his official height of 6'9", he is too small to play C, and I'm not sure he'll be effective at PF either.
If Hayward looks ready to play at the start of the season, I see him backing up CJ and Kirilenko getting most of his minutes at PF this coming season. Or, Hayward might be able to back up Matthews at SG. I'm sure Sloan will move him around to see where he is most effective. ESPN's Chad Ford likes him:
https://www.deseretnews.com/article/700043101/Calculated-risk-analyst-says.html

Ya know, AK was a 23rd pick, er sumthin like that. If this Honzward guy can be anything close to that, except bustin *** and givin 100% 48/82, likes they seem to think, the Jazz could actually be a better team, down the road. The Paperboy aint gunna duplicate Boozer, but he can replace him, and he aint gunna go quittin. AK probably aint gunna be back, so it looks like Deron's team now, fo sho. Deron like guys who go all out. His main job now will be whuppin some BIGTIME Fess ***, to git that boy motivated, I figure.

It aint gunna be the same damn team--mebbe more better, mebbe more worser, but different, either way.

So if he is not as good a Larry Legend then do we get to slap you?

lol, ok that was funny. Of course, we'll change it to love tap. ;) lol

No, I don't think he'll be as good as Larry, but I do think he has the potential to be nearly as valuable as someone like Hornacek to the Jazz. One player that Hayward said he tried to model his game after was Steve Nash. He said that this was before he hit that growth spurt and therefore made it harder to follow through on that. Butler needed him more in other areas.

In the Jazz system, I could see him providing much more assists--especially to Deron and our slashers. At any rate, I'm glad we keep getting great passers for this team. It's fun to watch.

Last edited:

Actually, Minnesota seemed greedy to me. They could have made a couple different trades that would've made them better but said they could do better. Well, they ended up keeping the pick so I guess that's what they felt was best for them.

Golden State traded Maggette and got back what they wanted. Therefore, they could afford to keep their pick as well.

Without cap space, you really are limited in what trades you can do because the other team has to like a player or players on your roster that you don't mind parting with. Also, you can only trade so many draft picks before it becomes too destructive for your team's future.

Ya know, AK was a 23rd pick, er sumthin like that. If this Honzward guy can be anything close to that, except bustin *** and givin 100% 48/82, likes they seem to think, the Jazz could actually be a better team, down the road. The Paperboy aint gunna duplicate Boozer, but he can replace him, and he aint gunna go quittin. AK probably aint gunna be back, so it looks like Deron's team now, fo sho. Deron like guys who go all out. His main job now will be whuppin some BIGTIME Fess ***, to git that boy motivated, I figure.

It aint gunna be the same damn team--mebbe more better, mebbe more worser, but different, either way.
All good points! Contrary to some of the critics comments, I think Deron will love both these guys, as they are both all about effort!!! I also read the lesser known of our European guys we own the rights to will be in the summer league this year (Dragen?). I think he's like 6'9" 227; the same size as AK is now.