What's new

Former Utah Free Agents

Jeffrey32

It's amazing that 4 of the top under-the-radar free agents are all former Jazz men: Millsap, Matthews, Carroll, and Koufos!!! Credit to KOC for finding gems and sadness for the former Jazz coaching staffs for never using these guys to their fullest potential.

https://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/13171973/nba-free-agency-preview

4. Who's the best under-the-radar free agent on the market?

Adande: Wesley Matthews. Even if he isn't quite the same player some four months after tearing his left Achilles tendon, he's still the same person who helped give the Trail Blazers a fighting spirit for much of the season. They went 10-12 after he went down (and other injuries began mounting) and never seemed to have the same edge. He could still bring that attitude.

Elhassan: Ready for a hot take? Kosta Koufos! This guy is a starting-caliber center who's been forced to play a bit role behind one of the best frontcourts in basketball. Because his per game numbers aren't eye-popping, he'll likely get a modest deal somewhere, but he's my pick for best value (along with Patrick Beverley).

Stein: Paul Millsap, Danny Green and a title-tested big man getting very little attention with all the other top bigs on the market this summer -- Tyson Chandler -- all come to mind. From the restricted free agents: Orlando's Tobias Harris.

Windhorst: Millsap. He has been underrated for much of his career. There's a bunch of teams who think they have a chance to get him and he is coming off a contract where he was underpaid. Perfect for a bidding war.

Obviously, this is a new Jazz team and it was not possible to build the pieces they have while keeping these guys, but imagine how good this team would be if it had the best of both worlds: all the players it has gotten from picks and trades plus Matthews as the starting 2, Koufos as the back-up center, Millsap and Carroll who could 100% start at the forwards or come off the bench behind Favors and Hayward. Utah would be a championship-caliber team and easily the deepest team in the league.

It's a nice dream.

That said, if I could only bring one or two of these guys back, it would probably be Koufos and/or Matthews. Koufos will still come at a reasonable salary and fills a need as the back-up center. Matthews is one of the top 3-D guys in the game, assuming he is healthy again, and also fills a need as a starting 2-guard. Millsap and Carroll would both be great additions and sentimental choices but their roles have been filled by budding all stars in Favors and Hayward. If DL could somehow get Koufos or Matthews back in Jazz uniforms, though, that would be a helluva summer.

I'd be down like Charlie Brown for signing Matthews. If he regains 75% of his self last season, and comes at a cheaper price, I would sign him. Give him like a 2 year deal at 8 million per year. That is a pretty good amount of money. He gets the first season to get back in shape and he gets the 2nd season to show teams that he can still ball like he has in year's past.

I have no idea what the market will be for him though. Not sure if that is underselling for a player of his caliber, even coming off a major injury like an achilles.

past.jpg