What's new

Formula to Beat Spurs

I guess the original post. He says Big Al doesn't run, which is true, but that doesn't mean the rest of the team can't run. The team still needs a viable halfcourt option when running fails.

I may be mistaken, but doesn't Memphis have two of the fattest front-players in the league, neither of whom run on the fast break (Randolph and Gasol)? I understand that getting Al out of the game improves defense, but I still don't think it is going to improve it enough to where we are shutting down the Spurs more than it will hurt our offense in the long run.

No, the difference between Gasol and Jefferson is that Gasol and the Grizzlies played good defense to ignite the fastbreak for other players. Gasol doesn't have to run the break, he just needs to play good defense to help ignite it. Jefferson cannot do that. Favors does what Jefferson cannot do, i.e. force the Spurs into bad shots and block shots on help defense, which in turn ignite the fastbreak. Ever notice how few easy buckets in transition we get when Al is in the game. It's because his defense is so putrid.

but that doesn't mean the rest of the team can't run.

Yes, when he is in the game it does mean the rest of the team can't run because he does not play defense. The team can't run when the Spurs get to take a good shot everytime down the floor. Do you not understand basketball? That's how you get easy buckets in transitions, by forcing the other team to take bad shots and controlling the glass. Al is a humongous liability.

if the Jazz only change one thing, they have got to cut down on the Spurs stealing passes.''

this is not only the responsibility of the passer, but also the receiver.

you've got to know where the defender is... if he is going to try to get a hand on the pass, move yourself into position to cut him off. Take a step and meet the ball.,

lol, good luck playing and up and down game with the Spurs....seriously, you wanna run with the Spurs?.....Go'head, tell me how it works out for you;)

I really dont like big al. Its funny how you guys say you like him as a person as if it even matters. Not in this thread but ive seen it countless times in other threads. I just need to come here and vent after i watch his piss aweful defense

Last edited:
Formulas to beat Spurs:

1. Fire your coach with a 75% career winning percentage, tank under Poppypopper, draft MVP.

2. Hip check the best player on the opposing team so you can win the series.

lol, good luck playing and up and down game with the Spurs....seriously, you wanna run with the Spurs?.....Go'head, tell me how it works out for you;)

I don't recall them running much in the first game.
Who are their best players in the open court?

Obviously, it all starts with Tony Parker. But he's "old",....right? He's only 29 still one of the fastest guards in the league and a top 5 MVP canidate this year. Kawhi Leonard runs the floor excellent (20 yr old rookie), Danny Green, Manu Ginobili, Patty Mills, Gary Neal and Steven Jackson all run the floor well. And it's not even just layups while running the floor. It's the transition 3 point shot that ya'll have to worry about. Seriously, the Spurs played pretty crappy that first game and still put up 106 pts. The Jazz actually had more "fast break" points that the Spurs. So, in those regards, yes the Spurs didn't run much the 1st game. I seriously doubt they get outscored by the Jazz in game 2 for fast break points.

The Jazz were not wanting the Spurs to run. Their transition defense was pretty good save for a couple of lapses here and there, but overall the Spurs couldn't really run as much. The Spurs are really really good in the open court. Almost every Spur will get down the court or trail the break for a 3 or nice cut to the basket. The Spurs are well coached and if given the opportunity to speed up the game, they will. Every player on the Spurs this season has been unbelievable on the break. Especially the Spurs young guys Leonard and Green. Neal is also ridiculously good at the stop and pop on the break. Manu is awesome at igniting the break with ridiculous open court passing, and Parker is a one man break. The Spurs bigs get in on the action quite often. Bonner trails for 3, Diaw runs point forward, Duncan/Splitter trailing cuts in the secondary break. Hell, Blair is pretty good at poking the ball away and igniting the break with a quick outlet. The answer for the Jazz is not to quicken the pace. It will be a very fast series should they turn it into a shootout. I have been trying to figure out what the Jazz could possibly do to get the Spurs out of rythym, but the only reason I can come up with isn't as valid anymore because the team that did it was the Lakers. In the next two games, the Spurs adjusted and commenced to curbstomping LA in consecutive meetings.

I'd leave this alone, the Spurs weren't one of the highest scoring teams in the NBA by simply playing really good in the half court game. These guys can run...

How to win. When the entire Spurs D collapses in paint in obvious attempt to stop our inside scoring, MAKE OPEN PERIMETER SHOTS.

STOP letting Tony Parker run wherever he wants to giving him open lanes to the basket.

Since neither of these is likely to happen, our best shot it to go all "World Peace" on these guys and play like deranged psychopaths.

(Someone tell Jefferson to box out for once in his career...)

to clarify, I was suggesting for the Jazz to get out on the break on offense with Burks, Hayward, Favors, maybe Kanter

I was not suggesting to give the Spurs more fast breaks.