What's new

Future of the franchise is at stake

oldtimer

IMO if the Jazz don't get wiggins, parker or perhaps Exum (just not sure about him yet) out of this draft they condemn themselves to mediocrity for the next 5-8 years. I am not sure the franchise could survive in Utah just competing to make the playoffs every year.

I would do whatever it took to lose as many games as possible. I cannot understand a front office trying to win as many games possible and finish somewhere between 8-13 this year. It makes no sense to me at all.

Fire Corbin, play the youngs guys, play the old guys, but lose. Shut down Favors, Burks and Hayward the rest of the year. You have to give yourself the best chance to get one of those three guys. Embiid and Randle are great players, but neither will help the Jazz become a playoff team as much as Wiggins or Parker.

Can someone more tech savvy make a poll to see if the fans believe the future of the franchise is at stake with this draft?

And another one loses it completely.

I'm sure the STG crew can recommend a wonderful place down there for you, oldtimer. Padded walls, nice young men in clean white coats.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DxVkAhto0Ag

The team has competed for the 6-8 spot for years and seems to get great attendance. This year has just been bad because of how bad the team is and how bad the coaching is. I don't worry about the team leaving. There are other teams that are gonna relocate before Utah does

Getting a game changer in the draft would obviously be ideal. However, we have young talent to build around and more cap flexibility than most teams in the league. IMO there are multiple ways to move the bar with this team. Refusing to do trade deadline deals in exchange for more salary is brilliant and gives us options. So I am not feeling chicken little no matter what happens.

Last edited:
The team has competed for the 6-8 spot for years and seems to get great attendance. This year has just been bad because of how bad the team is and how bad the coaching is. I don't worry about the team leaving. There are other teams that are gonna relocate before Utah does

Essentially you're right - in terms of NBA home attendance Jazz were a top 10 lock every year for 20+ years

Jazz are currently 14th in the NBA this year in home attendance - not horrible; but horrible for them. And it's been trending downward fast since LHM died.
The problem is if you do a study of home attendance in any sport I think you'll find once you start losing fans it's hard to get them back just because you get a "little" better.

Last edited:
IMO if the Jazz don't get wiggins, parker or perhaps Exum (just not sure about him yet) out of this draft they condemn themselves to mediocrity for the next 5-8 years. I am not sure the franchise could survive in Utah just competing to make the playoffs every year.

I would do whatever it took to lose as many games as possible. I cannot understand a front office trying to win as many games possible and finish somewhere between 8-13 this year. It makes no sense to me at all.

Fire Corbin, play the youngs guys, play the old guys, but lose. Shut down Favors, Burks and Hayward the rest of the year. You have to give yourself the best chance to get one of those three guys. Embiid and Randle are great players, but neither will help the Jazz become a playoff team as much as Wiggins or Parker.

Can someone more tech savvy make a poll to see if the fans believe the future of the franchise is at stake with this draft?

Lol at shutting down Hayward in a contract year. Good one.

And another one loses it completely.

I'm sure the STG crew can recommend a wonderful place down there for you, oldtimer. Padded walls, nice young men in clean white coats.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DxVkAhto0Ag

You don't have to go that far at all. The facilities at the University of Utah's Neuropsychiatric Institute are less than two years old, and top of the line nation wide.

Liked the response Core4. It made me laugh. That being said I don't think the Jazz will ever leave Utah. However, the years of being in the top 10 in ticket sales will not last if they can't figure out that tanking in the perfect storm is the only option.

Perfect storm defined as starting 1-14, getting rid of Paul and AJ, Hayward stumbling under the weight of a new contract and being a number one, and a draft that many experts believe its amazing 1-5 or 1-6.

Liked the response Core4. It made me laugh. That being said I don't think the Jazz will ever leave Utah. However, the years of being in the top 10 in ticket sales will not last if they can't figure out that tanking in the perfect storm is the only option.

Perfect storm defined as starting 1-14, getting rid of Paul and AJ, Hayward stumbling under the weight of a new contract and being a number one, and a draft that many experts believe its amazing 1-5 or 1-6.
I think they're doing their best to tank. Very conservative approach with Favors. Still giving major mins to Jefferson and letting Burke and Hayward fire away; those three are amongst the worst on the team in terms of FG%.

I think the Jazz win against Boston, then hopefully lose to Phoenix. I'm also hoping Favors misses the road trip. He already had a hip problem earlier this season and now he has a recurrence. Only way to get better is through rest and physical therapy, not running, jumping and landing hard on it night after night.

Essentially you're right - in terms of NBA home attendance Jazz were a top 10 lock every year for 20+ years

Jazz are currently 14th in the NBA this year in home attendance - not horrible; but horrible for them. And it's been trending downward fast since LHM died.
The problem is if you do a study of home attendance in any sport I think you'll find once you start losing fans it's hard to get them back just because you get a "little" better.

This a million times over.

The previous generation grew up on a team that was entertaining, a great identity for marketing (pick and roll), and competitive. Jazz bball was Stockton2Malone, Sloan, Larry h, and Hot Rod.

Today, they are all gone.

And this upcoming generation is seeing a team that isn't competitive, has no identity, and isn't entertaining at all. Could you imagine if all you had seen of jazz bball was the alfense, the spurs 4 game *** kicking, and Ty Corbin? Jazz bball today is A bunch of role players no one knows or cares about, king Krupa head coach, and David Locke.

Yikes

And this upcoming generation is seeing a team that isn't competitive, has no identity, and isn't entertaining at all. Could you imagine if all you had seen of jazz bball was the alfense, the spurs 4 game *** kicking, and Ty Corbin? Jazz bball today is A bunch of role players no one knows or cares about, king Krupa head coach, and David Locke.

Yikes
Losing a thousand cheap seat ticket sales won't affect the Jazz. As long as they maintain corporate sponsors and the luxury boxes are sold out, the franchise has a solid footing in Utah. Besides, unlike most other teams, the Jazz (i.e. Millers) OWN the ESA. If they were to leave, they wouldn't be leaving the city with a vacant facility, they'd be removing a major tenant and still have to pay the loan back on the building.

Sure attendance is down. They knew it would be. But Lindsey said everyone was in on the rebuild and willing to be patient. I'm sure attendance revenue was one of the considerations. But also look at their payroll: still under the salary cap. Jazz will make money this season.

as things are as of now, Jazz are a team locked to be a play off team.
Marginally improved bench with a good coach would suffice for that.
If this is doable (and it is), Jazz faithful will be there standing & chanting.

as things are as of now, Jazz are a team locked to be a play off team.
Marginally improved bench with a good coach would suffice for that.
If this is doable (and it is), Jazz faithful will be there standing & chanting.

Agree. Jazz lose no one of value next season. They add two first rounders + Neto and/or another backup PG. You know Lindsey will address that. Add in 1-2 solid vets to replace RJ and MW. That alone makes them a playoff team regardless of who the coach is. Replace Corbin with just about anyone and the Jazz are in the 5-8 range.