What's new

Game Thread: Jazz @ Clippers 11/3/19 19:00 MST

Only way it happens is by moving Joe and Dante (contractually). But it’s a very interesting point, even if everyone hates the idea. We can talk about boxing out, but everyone not named Gobert is poor rebounding, not just in general but for their position, for their entire careers. Nobody even rebounds well compared to SFs. If Gobert contests a shot, there’s nobody there for a rebound. Talk about boxing out all you want, you’re either a rebounder or you’re not. As much as people act like Love would be a defensive sieve, it’s important to look at what not securing defensive boards costs.

If Joe continues to contribute as little as he has, it’s a valid question (for us fans, FO ain’t making that move).

I think most of us went into the season realizing that rebounding would no longer be the strength that it was and that it would be a problem on some nights. It was an accepted trade off when we lost Favs to add Bogey's offense. However I don't think anyone expected it to be THIS bad. Fact is that the lack of boxing out IS the problem. We are literally giving up rebounds where we have 4 guys under the hoop not boxing out and 1 opposing player swoops in for a putback. There are going to be nights where we lose the rebound battle. And that's fine. Our defense is good enough to make up the difference and win games. We just can't get DESTROYED on the glass. We have to give effort and we have to boxout so that we keep the rebounding numbers as close to even as possible. This group is capable of doing that much.

Rebounding, or rather lack thereof, lost this game. This trend will kill us over the course of the season.

That and Conley just sucks. Why did we want him? Meh, some of us were less than thrilled. He does us less than no good if he gives us 5 absolutely ****** games followed by a single offensive explosion. Anyone we can flip him for?

Conley just never seems a good fit for us... yes we lacked playmaking and shot creation but that doesn't mean you have to overcompensate. now everyone just seems to want the ball in their hands and are completely useless when they don't. no one cares to do the little things such as setting good screens and boxing out. this is when i really wish we still have Favs and Crowder...

Last edited:
Conley will be fine. He spent 12 years in the same organization. He's adjusting to a lot on and off the court right now. I think that a big part of the issue for him right now is that for so long on the Grizzlies he was the #1 ball handler and the #1 scoring option so everything was going through him. Now that's not the case. Sometimes it's him, sometimes it's Donovan, sometimes it's Bojan, sometimes it's even Joe. He's trying to figure out where to fit in.

It's gonna take some time for the Donovan-Mike-Bojan trio to figure everything out on the offensive end and all get comfortable. It will happen tho. Conley is a good basketball player, he's not just gonna suck for good overnight.

Not worried about that at all.

That and Conley just sucks. Why did we want him? Meh, some of us were less than thrilled. He does us less than no good if he gives us 5 absolutely ****** games followed by a single offensive explosion. Anyone we can flip him for?

We wanted him because he's been a top 7 or 8 point guard in the league for the past decade and he's coming off of the best season of his career. It's only been 7 games, we need to be patient and give it more time. It'll eventually click, it took Rubio half a season to get comfortable in Quins system.

It's quiet chilling that Conley has had one good game in 7. You'd think that a player of his caliber, and experience of 13 years, would yield another good game, instead of just one.

No question that Faves was a good rebounder but he was also a poor floor spacer. Also no question that Rubio was a better rebounder and brought a toughness that I feel Conley lacks, but he couldn't throw a rock in the ocean from deep. I guess it's always a tradeoff. Personally though, I don't think the Jazz have ever been a great rebounding team under Quinn Snyder. Why is boxing out such a mystery to these guys? I was on an undersized team in high school but we didn't get killed on the glass cause coach instilled in us the fundamentals of boxing out.

1. whatever advantage that floor spacing gives us is negated by our inability to defend and secure rebounds.

2. Conley is shooting worse than Rubio this year. Conley is a much bigger liability on our team then Rubio ever was.

We wanted him because he's been a top 7 or 8 point guard in the league for the past decade and he's coming off of the best season of his career. It's only been 7 games, we need to be patient and give it more time. It'll eventually click, it took Rubio half a season to get comfortable in Quins system.

Even if Conley figures out his offense, our terrible rebounding limits us to being a 2nd tier team. Which is where we were prior to all these moves.

Even if Conley figures out his offense, our terrible rebounding limits us to being a 2nd tier team. Which is where we were prior to all these moves.

The rebounding is definitely fixable. We were actually rebounding very well the first 5 games. It's mostly just been an effort problem the last couple of games, guys aren't boxing out. Quin sounded pretty pissed about it after the game, he's not going to allow it to continue.

1. whatever advantage that floor spacing gives us is negated by our inability to defend and secure rebounds.

Inability to defend? Our defense has been great so far this season.

The rebounding is definitely fixable. We were actually rebounding very well the first 5 games. It's mostly just been an effort problem the last couple of games, guys aren't boxing out. Quin sounded pretty pissed about it after the game, he's not going to allow it to continue.

Our re will be better. We were top 3 defensive rebounding team coming into this game. Small sample size but still. Schedule has been tough. We will hustle more I bet

Sent from my SM-G977N using JazzFanz mobile app

I feel like maybe Rudy should have had this conversation with his teammates instead of saying it to the media.

Rudy is best at catching overhead passes and lobs. Anything that involves Rudy having to raise his arms after catching the pass will lower his effiency significantly(a bounce pass, for example). That's why Ingles is so important, being the only passer on this team who possesses the height necessary to make that sort of passes to Rudy on a consistent basis.

So let it be said, so let it be done.

I feel like maybe Rudy should have had this conversation with his teammates instead of saying it to the media.

Rudy is a beast in defense but is too predictable in offense. Is not so easy to pass to the big when everybody knows that this will happen. And Rudy needs the pick&roll, neither is great posting or in mid-range shooting. Sure sometimes is his teammates faults but the first you have to do is to try to improve your game to give more chances to your passers, a little bit of self criticism. I don´t like this statement from Rudy

After some reflection, I feel like we were in it to win it, but just petered out down the stretch. In all honesty, I felt like it was mostly the rebounding and Montrezl Harrell that killed us down the stretch with his crashing the boards. Now it's true that we have some rather soft rebounders on this team, but why does Snyder like to run his main horses into the ground like he does. Jazz starters consistently play more minutes than most other teams. We got killed down the stretch with offensive rebounds and second effort points and our guys were mostly just standing around looking gassed. Even with the injuries we still had thirteen in uniform last night, all professionals with ability (I mean he used Bradley and he's still green), but Quinn never seems to waver from a nine man rotation and Niang only played six minutes whereas all our starters save for O'Neale played over 33.

Rebounding, or rather lack thereof, lost this game. This trend will kill us over the course of the season.

2 in a row where lack of boxing out properly has cost us a lot of points and ultimately the games.

After some reflection, I feel like we were in it to win it, but just petered out down the stretch. In all honesty, I felt like it was mostly the rebounding and Montrezl Harrell that killed us down the stretch with his crashing the boards. Now it's true that we have some rather soft rebounders on this team, but why does Snyder like to run his main horses into the ground like he does. Jazz starters consistently play more minutes than most other teams. We got killed down the stretch with offensive rebounds and second effort points and our guys were mostly just standing around looking gassed. Even with the injuries we still had thirteen in uniform last night, all professionals with ability (I mean he used Bradley and he's still green), but Quinn never seems to waver from a nine man rotation and Niang only played six minutes whereas all our starters save for O'Neale played over 33.

Niang is unplayable. Outside of getting hot every 5th game or so, he has nothing to offer. He's an awful defender and rebounder.

Now they have angered the Frenchman.

I hope Exum comes back from injury to save us soon.

We've heard the expression, "if ain't broke, don't fix it?" The end of last year we had a sweet running offensive machine that was leading the lead in dunks, averaging way over 20 assists per game and blowing out teams left and right. A tweak here, a tweak there with our outside shooting and we could easily have gone from 50 wins to 55-60 wins this year. But no, we make wholesale changes and not only is our defense and rebounding worse...so is our OUTSIDE shooting, the very thing we were trying to fix! Did anyone in the front office say "Hey, let's think this thing out! We've got a well oiled offensive machine going with a strong defense and rebounding to boot, do we really want to break this all up for a 30 million dollar question mark?"