What's new

General NFL 2010 Regular Season Thread

Manning was dreadful today. That being said, I'm not sure how any QB can win with the absolute utter lack of running game the Colts have. Donald Brown is just a waste as a first round pick.

He should consult with Aaron Rodgers.

He should consult with Aaron Rodgers.

As bad as the Packers may be in rushing, the Colts are just so much worse. Especially with Addai being gone. Donald Brown is their "featured" back and he's averaging 3.3 yards per carry. And from watching the games, I almost want to double check to see if it's that high. Still, even with that Manning is throwing passes he really shouldn't be throwing.

Manning is one of the closest things the NFL has had to hero-caliber in recent years. It's painful to see him struggle like he has been.

Obviously Henne is not on the same planet as Manning but as a Phins fan it has been equally as frustrating watching him throw the ball to the other team with such frequency that he is the opposing teams MVP and he has a storage warehouse full of game balls from the OPPOSING teams coach.
Henne for a QB that is touted as having a strong arm he consistently under throws the deep ball for INT's and on a rarity that it is not it is usually on the wrong shoulder so the db can usually still make a play. He had what should've been 2 TD's, first one was a 30yrd pass in the end zone tipped that wasn't too bad only under thrown by a yard or so and maybe should've led the WR a bit more. Second one was around a 40yrd pass too a WIDE OPEN Hartline with at least 10yrds separation but he under threw it so bat that the WR had to completely stop and then the CB caught up right in stride to INT the ball.
His 2nd INT was an over throw to a short receiver (Bess) on a short route, he has to know his players and Bess is easily the shortest player on the field 99% of the time so if you miss you miss low.

I'm hoping for a shake up this off season if Sparano wants to keep Henne I'll trust him but then lose the OC Henning and hopefully get Pennington to be the QB coach.

Manning was dreadful today. That being said, I'm not sure how any QB can win with the absolute utter lack of running game the Colts have. Donald Brown is just a waste as a first round pick.

Yesterday Manning reminded me of Dan Marino late in his career. For years, Marino & Manning made their receivers better players by virtue of their leadership and amazing passing ability. More often, it's the other way around - Dan Fouts was a nobody until he had 3 all pro receivers to throw to. Dante Culpepper is another good example.

Now as he's getting on in years and he needs help; but he doesn't have the pieces surrounding him - particularly a competent running game.

I know it's crazy but I still have to believe:

The Miami Dolphins woke up Sunday morning with negligible playoff hopes and then lost another home game. The Cleveland Browns kicked a field goal as time expired to beat the Dolphins 13-10 in Sun Life Stadium.

The Dolphins, however, are not mathematically eliminated from the postseason race.

With help from ESPN.com's NFL Playoff Machine, which is updated up until the Sunday night game, I've worked up some projections by toggling through the remaining weeks.

Since winning out to finish 10-6 alone won't get the Dolphins into the playoffs, they need to combine that with a near-winless collapse for one of the teams ahead of them in the standings.

So we begin with the premise the Dolphins win the rest of their games and consider the following:

If the Jets don't win another game, then the Dolphins project as the sixth seed.

If the Patriots win one or fewer games, then the Dolphins project as the sixth seed.

If the Jets lose to the Patriots but win just one other game, then the Dolphins still project out of the playoffs.

If the Baltimore Ravens win one or fewer games, then the Dolphins project as the sixth seed.

If the Pittsburgh Steelers win one or fewer games, then the Dolphins project as the sixth seed.

If the Indianapolis Colts lose the rest of their games, then the Dolphins still project out of the playoffs.

https://espn.go.com/blog/afceast

So, matematically, the Patriots losing tonight helps Miami more.

Pats Schedule:

Jets
@ Bears
Packers
@ Bills
Dolphins

Jets Schedule:

@ Patriots
Dolphins
@ Steelers
@ Bears
Bills

I can't for the life of me seeing the Jets lose to the Bills at home like they did last season. I'll take my chances and root against the Patriots tonight. I'm going to need a lot of soap for my next shower.

Jets are great against the bottom feeders in the NFL.

Problem is they're 1-3 against teams with a winning record with at Steelers and at Bears coming up.

Can I just say...it's miserable being a Jets fan.

As far is this year, if you were buying into the hype it your own damn fault if you actually watched the games. They have gotten so many breaks. It was bound to bite Sanchez eventually to keep pegging defenders int he face with the ball.

Tough for McDaniels. Coaches don't get much time. Caught cheating twice and can't get along with superstars (Cutler and Marshall). It's entirely possible McDaniels didn't do anything wrong but the perception is there.

Albert Hainesworth suspended for the rest of the year without pay. Ouch

What a miserable season he's had. Hopefully no one had him on their fantasy team.

He's such an idiot. Get into half decent shape, shut up, clog up the middle, and get paid millions. That's all he has to do...

I told my friend/bandmate (a Chargers fan) while watching Chargers v Broncos on MNF that "McDaniels is going to get fired and end up being the best assistant coach in the NFL". We're halfway there.

When I heard this on the drive home last night I thought to myself, I wouldn't mind McDaniels getting on as the Dolphins OC, except for the whole cheating thing and the history with Marshall. Those things will prolly keep him from even being looked at but it would be nice to have him as the OC when going up against the Billicheats.

I told my friend/bandmate (a Chargers fan) while watching Chargers v Broncos on MNF that "McDaniels is going to get fired and end up being the best assistant coach in the NFL". We're halfway there.

Best assistant coach? I hope you're kidding. What's he done? Coordinated an offense that had the best qb, the best deep threat in NFL history, and the best possession wr in the game, and he was the key ingredient? Please. Gregg Williams, amongst others, are a million times better than McDaniels as far as coordinators go.

When I heard this on the drive home last night I thought to myself, I wouldn't mind McDaniels getting on as the Dolphins OC, except for the whole cheating thing and the history with Marshall. Those things will prolly keep him from even being looked at but it would be nice to have him as the OC when going up against the Billicheats.

I can't imagine he has a future as an OC in Cleveland either given that he gave up Hillis.

Best assistant coach? I hope you're kidding. What's he done? Coordinated an offense that had the best qb, the best deep threat in NFL history, and the best possession wr in the game, and he was the key ingredient? Please. Gregg Williams, amongst others, are a million times better than McDaniels as far as coordinators go.

That's what they said about Charlie Weis - he's doing some good things in KC with not nearly as much as he had in NE.

That's what they said about Charlie Weis - he's doing some good things in KC with not nearly as much as he had in NE.

I won't deny that though they're in a mediocre division and the Chiefs O-line and weapons are very underrated. That said, McDaniels has very little track record. Look at Gregg Williams' resume. Or Dick Lebeau's. McDaniels' doesn't hold a candle to theirs. Sorry but to say he is the best coordinator in the league is more than just a stretch.