What's new

George "The Astro Van" Niang!

The issue with Georges isn’t George’s per se. it’s that we need an athletic wing for n our rotation. The stuff he brings is really good... we just have a lot of it with Bojan already. If we were to swap one of them for an athletic wing with more defense I think it’d help when we reach the highest levels of the playoffs. Hard to argue against him being in the rotation with how well he’s played recently.

The issue with Georges isn’t George’s per se. it’s that we need an athletic wing for n our rotation. The stuff he brings is really good... we just have a lot of it with Bojan already. If we were to swap one of them for an athletic wing with more defense I think it’d help when we reach the highest levels of the playoffs. Hard to argue against him being in the rotation with how well he’s played recently.

Swapping Niang isn’t going to do much. Niang plays 10 minutes and might not play any in the playoffs. If you want that defensive wing aspect to our team, you’ve got to swap Bogey, Conley, Clarkson etc.

Vans are awesome. It’s kinda weird that there isn’t a more diverse market of types of vans.

Anyone who gets really deep into a craft will need a van eventually.

Swapping Niang isn’t going to do much. Niang plays 10 minutes and might not play any in the playoffs. If you want that defensive wing aspect to our team, you’ve got to swap Bogey, Conley, Clarkson etc.
I think in the regular season playing Niang is likely the best answer. I just worry in the playoffs there will be a matchup where you need to ramp Bojan's minutes down and play a more defensive minded wing for 20 minutes a night... they'd get Niang's minutes and some of Bojan's in that case.

I think in the regular season playing Niang is likely the best answer. I just worry in the playoffs there will be a matchup where you need to ramp Bojan's minutes down and play a more defensive minded wing for 20 minutes a night... they'd get Niang's minutes and some of Bojan's in that case.
We straight up do not have the personnel to go up against the bigger stronger wing and backcourt players we'll meet in the playoffs. Even with teams like the Lakers their bigs will occupy out defensive center to the point where it will hinge on our backcourt and wing defense, where we are sorely lacking. That's the overarching problem. Niang is fine in the regular season where often enough just outscoring our opponent is fine. Won't cut it to get much past the 2nd round in the playoffs.

We straight up do not have the personnel to go up against the bigger stronger wing and backcourt players we'll meet in the playoffs. Even with teams like the Lakers their bigs will occupy out defensive center to the point where it will hinge on our backcourt and wing defense, where we are sorely lacking. That's the overarching problem. Niang is fine in the regular season where often enough just outscoring our opponent is fine. Won't cut it to get much past the 2nd round in the playoffs.
Thats my worry exactly... we might actually lose more by playing Oni his minutes right now, but we also might find the guy that can contribute in that series.

We aren't quite good enough to mess around in the regular season with different players, rotations, and schemes while winning. So Quin will manage the season with the regular season record as the priority but I think it might be short sighted.

I don’t get looping Niang into this greater issue problem because Niang’s role can’t solve it. If Niang was prime Ron Artest, he still can’t change the defensive outlook by playing 4-6 minutes in between quarters. The theoretical players you’d want to shut down are typically taking a rest here anyways. You address the issue by having a high minute starting and closing player. None of which applies to Niang, so simply replacing Niang hardly makes a ripple.

So if we’re going to stress this defensive issue, which is undeniably a big problem, you have to talk about the root of this issue. I’m with you, it is not Niang issue. It cannot possibly be a Niang issue because it can’t be changed by Niang’s role. The root of this issue is that Royce is the only key perimeter player that can play defense...and he’s terrible whenever the other team sets a screen.

To actually address this issue you have to take the step you made and go further. Downgrade Bogey into Niang’s role and have Oni/Morgan play Bogeys minutes....now we’re talking. That is actually a change that could address this larger defensive issue.

I guess we can punt away Niang’s minutes to see if Oni/Morgan is good enough to overtake Bogey...but that’s what would actually need to happen. Niang is not the problem, it’s our core group of 6 perimeter guys that’s the problem.

Thats my worry exactly... we might actually lose more by playing Oni his minutes right now, but we also might find the guy that can contribute in that series.

We aren't quite good enough to mess around in the regular season with different players, rotations, and schemes while winning. So Quin will manage the season with the regular season record as the priority but I think it might be short sighted.

Typically I’d be ok with punting regular season games. But if we’re being real about our chances to make the finals....they are exponentially better if we play one LA team versus two. If the number one seed is not obtainable, it doesn’t really matter. Do whatever you have to do to get ready for the playoffs. But with the way this season has started and the craziness that lies ahead....I’m not ready to punt our chances away.

It’s pretty much a guarantee that these other players will get a chance anyways. There’s no chance we stay this healthy for the rest of the year.

I don’t get looping Niang into this greater issue problem because Niang’s role can’t solve it. If Niang was prime Ron Artest, he still can’t change the defensive outlook by playing 4-6 minutes in between quarters. The theoretical players you’d want to shut down are typically taking a rest here anyways. You address the issue by having a high minute starting and closing player. None of which applies to Niang, so simply replacing Niang hardly makes a ripple.

So if we’re going to stress this defensive issue, which is undeniably a big problem, you have to talk about the root of this issue. I’m with you, it is not Niang issue. It cannot possibly be a Niang issue because it can’t be changed by Niang’s role. The root of this issue is that Royce is the only key perimeter player that can play defense...and he’s terrible whenever the other team sets a screen.

To actually address this issue you have to take the step you made and go further. Downgrade Bogey into Niang’s role and have Oni/Morgan play Bogeys minutes....now we’re talking. That is actually a change that could address this larger defensive issue.

I guess we can punt away Niang’s minutes to see if Oni/Morgan is good enough to overtake Bogey...but that’s what would actually need to happen. Niang is not the problem, it’s our core group of 6 perimeter guys that’s the problem.
While I agree with your sentiment regarding more bang for your buck on a main rotation guy, first is that won’t happen. Second is that a 12 minute guy can become 20 minutes in the playoffs if you need to shave off a couple other guys’ minutes. With opposing team starters playing 38-40 minutes, that can be the kind of thing that can make a difference, rather than trotting Royce out there for 40 minutes and Thibbsing him into the ground.

Right... that’s what I’m saying... I’m not sold Oni or anyone on the roster is the answer. I’m honestly fine just playing Niang for now.

It’s a tough issue to solve... if you told me we could trade Bogey for something good that fits those needs a little better I’d probably do it. Then Niang can be the stretch 4 and his role might be bigger... I know Niang and Bojan aren’t the same but there are some redundant strengths and weaknesses.

And none of that may change our ultimate fate... we are really good and I can live with that.

Right... that’s what I’m saying... I’m not sold Oni or anyone on the roster is the answer. I’m honestly fine just playing Niang for now.

It’s a tough issue to solve... if you told me we could trade Bogey for something good that fits those needs a little better I’d probably do it. Then Niang can be the stretch 4 and his role might be bigger... I know Niang and Bojan aren’t the same but there are some redundant strengths and weaknesses.

And none of that may change our ultimate fate... we are really good and I can live with that.

I think the easiest solution is for Mitchell to dedicate more attention defense. I think he's played better during this streak...but I still think we can ask more of him from defense. With Mitchell's defensive talent, he shouldn't be a guy we stick on the worst player and hope he doesn't fall asleep. If we want him to be that guy on defense while he carry's a large offensive load, then we've got to think about moving Bogey/Conley. We can't have it both ways where he saves all of his energy for offense and surround him with mostly one way offensive players, somethings got to give. I'd be totally open to moving Bogey for a more defensive player...but I don't see who that player is and you can't trade Bogey when he's playing like this.

TBH, I also think individual perimeter defense is one of the more overrated aspects of basketball. Teams are always going to force switches and make the opposition defend as a team. Even if you're against Steph Curry I think it's more important to have Rudy than it is to have Dort. The first change that's needs to happen is Quin creating more versatile defensive plans. Our only gameplan is to have 3-4 guys be statues while Rudy tries to defend everything. There should probably be a larger focus on strategy instead of just personnel.

Our shooting is starting to look historically good. I will take that into the playoffs against the Clippers and Lakers. Yes, we have a problem against the tall athletic wings, but at the same time they will have a problem with the Jazz's shooting.

Vans are awesome. It’s kinda weird that there isn’t a more diverse market of types of vans.

Anyone who gets really deep into a craft will need a van eventually.

I just hope your "craft" doesn't involve duct tape and chloroform. . .

van.jpg

Great game Niang! Do it again on Wednesday!

reminds me of this classic:

**** gets done in vans. What did the A-Team drive? A RAV4? **** no, they drove a van, because a van is a mobile HQ where plans are made, and hands are piled atop one another before everyone screams BREAK! and bolts off to go take care of business.

A minivan is a blank slate. It’s flexibility, it’s possibility, it’s shelter, it can be a party inside or a serious workspace. It’s simultaneously a location and a means to find new locations.