What's new

Gobert should start

I think Booker should start and Rudy should should take most of Kanter's minutes. Maybe the only reason Kanter is getting significant minutes is because they are trying to shop him.

It's always funny to me when people act like there was defense being played in the 80s. Nobody played a lick of defense until Detroit showed that by playing defense you could beat more talented teams like the Lakers and Celtics - teams that had always been able to win by just out-scoring everybody. The Bulls, with Jordan and Pippen knew they had to defend in order to beat the Pistons and by the time the Bulls beat the Lakers in 91, NBA teams knew they'd better figure it out and that is what led to the mid-90s ugliness you mention above.

ARE YOU SERIOUS??? Defense was not only the concentration of a team strategy back in the 80's but the ref's would also let them play it. Defense was much more implemented back then. If you went to back down in the post, your defender could put his elbows into your ribs. If you grabbed a rebound you threw elbows to clear space and if you clipped someone in the process, you still played!!! There weren't the whistles like there are today. Today is an outside to inside game (in that order). There is no middle range. Middle range is where teams from back then developed their offense, its also where defense needs to be played.
In the 80's there was so much physical contact that they changed the rules to the rules we have today to protect the players a little more. I can't even believe I'm reading this.

1. Defense in the 1980s was hilariously non-existent. It's the biggest reason I can't stand watching basketball from that era; getting open shots was incredibly easy. It was the defense and overall physicality in the mid-1990s that forced the NBA to make rule changes to open the game up.

2. Maybe "scrub" is a bit strong. Still, I find it hard to believe that Eaton would do well against most matchups he'd face in today's NBA. He's a less mobile, less skilled Hibbert. He played in a post-centric era, where his strengths far outweighed his weaknesses. I don't think that would be the case now.

Your crazy to think that defense was non existent in the 80's NBA. Here is a list of the best defensive players both retired and active.
Rank Player DWS
1. Bill Russell* 133.64
2. Tim Duncan 98.11
3. Kareem Abdul-Jabbar* 94.49
4. Hakeem Olajuwon* 94.47
5. Wilt Chamberlain* 93.92
6. Karl Malone* 92.41
7. Kevin Garnett 89.23
8. Elvin Hayes* 83.65
9. Patrick Ewing* 81.42
10. David Robinson* 80.14
11. Jason Kidd 75.14
12. John Havlicek* 74.09
13. Robert Parish* 72.98
14. Ben Wallace 70.58
15. Dikembe Mutombo 68.53
16. Scottie Pippen* 67.29
17. Shaquille O'Neal 66.36
18. John Stockton* 64.93
19. Michael Jordan* 64.13
20. Wes Unseld* 64.11
21. Charles Oakley 63.34
22. Nate Thurmond* 62.23
23. Buck Williams 61.79
24. Jack Sikma 60.69
25. Shawn Marion 60.33
26. Paul Pierce 59.14
27. Larry Bird* 59.03
28. Rasheed Wallace 57.12
29. Dolph Schayes* 56.15
30. Dwight Howard 55.95
31. Clifford Robinson 55.89
32. Dave Cowens* 55.83
33. Marcus Camby 54.89
34. Dennis Rodman* 54.46
35. Moses Malone* 54.36
36. Charles Barkley* 53.91
37. Dirk Nowitzki 53.14
38. Vlade Divac 52.90
39. Shawn Kemp 52.17
40. Paul Silas 51.74

As you can see there a quite a few 80's players.

Team strategies were focused on defense back then. The rules allowed them to play hard defense without being penalized with a foul. Big men cleared space by throwing elbows. Guards/forwards though twice about driving in because they could be hammered to the floor. I have to ask, did you watch basketball in the 80's?

On the defensive end, bigs have to be a lot more mobile with the changes to the hand checking rules. Guards need a lot more help on pick and rolls.

On the offensive end, with changes to illegal defense rules, and the way teams load up on the strong side and pack the paint, it's a lot harder to hide a player who can't consistently hit a jump shot.

FWIW, I think college teams today would be pretty competitive in the NBA of the 1980s.

"college teams of today" is pretty broad. Could you be more specific, with "college teams of today" as well as NBA teams of the 80's?? Do you have any idea how many college teams there are now and were then? There were good teams of then and bad, as that goes for NBA teams. I could say that I am going to die anytime between tomorrow, and 2073 and I have a pretty good case that I won't be wrong.

I think Gobert should start. He clearly has an impact on the game. I'm not sure why Booker gets in before him.

I think Gobert should start. He clearly has an impact on the game. I'm not sure why Booker gets in before him.

Booker would get in because Snyder wants 48 minutes of Favors-Gobert at "Center."

I'd be fine with Booker. Just get Enes out of there.

Booker would get in because Snyder wants 48 minutes of Favors-Gobert at "Center."

That can still be accomplished with a rotation like this. . .

Gobert - Favors

Favors - Booker

Gobert - Kanter

Then mix and match with whoever is playing the best. It's not like losing games is the end of the world for a young, developing team like the Jazz. Try different combinations and see how they fit together. I personally have liked what I've seen from everyone so far except for Kanter. I just don't know where he fits in. If Favors can defend the 4, I'd really like to see him and Rudy out there together. Maybe it doesn't work, but I'd sure like to see Snyder at least try it to see.

That can still be accomplished with a rotation like this. . .

Gobert - Favors

Favors - Booker

Gobert - Kanter

Then mix and match with whoever is playing the best. It's not like losing games is the end of the world for a young, developing team like the Jazz. Try different combinations and see how they fit together. I personally have liked what I've seen from everyone so far except for Kanter. I just don't know where he fits in. If Favors can defend the 4, I'd really like to see him and Rudy out there together. Maybe it doesn't work, but I'd sure like to see Snyder at least try it to see.

Our offense would most likely be awful starting Gobert/Favors.

I disagree. Our offense thrives when we get stops on defense and can run and Rudy makes that happen more then any player on the team.

I'm 100% in favor of starting Rudy and Favors, and brining Enes in with Booker for a scoring punch off the bench.

It seems that either Favors or Gobert will have to be in the game when Enes is on the floor. He can't defend at the C position. I hope to see Q's rotations reflect this from here on out.

As long as Favors is dependable from the free throw line area and Gobert is good with passing out of horns, then it could work. I think it could quickly become a better overall package (offense and defense) than Favors and Kanter.

You might be right. The problem with the Jazz mentality under Corbin was that there was never any willingness to try things to actually see if they worked or not. Right now, I'd rather see Snyder try whatever he wants. If it doesn't work, then he try's something else. Burks should start. Core 5 (whatever it is) should play together. Dante should play with Burke some rotations and with Burks on others. The plain and simple fact is that despite several years of drafting and now developing lottery players, the Jazz aren't any closer to knowing what kind of team they have. I think they should TRY whatever they want and actually see how it works before assuming that it will or won't.

Maybe I'm wrong, but if they try it they'll actually know (instead of assume) that the offense stinks with Gobert and Favors out there together and they're not any further from the playoffs than they were by teaming Gobert or Favors with Kanter or Booker. They're a long way from contending, so I think they should learn as much about these kids as they possibly can over the course of this season.

Tough night for Rudy.

Good night for Booker.

Bottom line: a usurper will emerge. Goodbye Enes.

This isn't likely unless they get Favors to extend his shot to the 3 point line, and also learn how to defend the perimeter (which would still be a couple of years away if they did). Favors is looking more confident with his mid range shot at the moment so hopefully he is able to increase that range.

[size/HUGE] fixed [/size];888053 said:
The workability of a Favors-Gobert frontline has as much to do with Favors' improvement as it does with Rudy's. If Favors takes a step forward offensively, which I think he will, then this combo becomes more likely. Derrick needs a 15-footer and the ability to work a little faster. I think Quin's system will install the latter. And, I think he's been working on that shot.

[size/HUGE] fixed [/size];889071 said:
It's mostly just a hunch. One of my least favorite things about Favors is his tendency to check out... I think the new culture that Quin is installing (not to mention that the games will start counting toward something) will really help. I also think you'll see Favors getting offense in better ways (high screen-roll + dump offs). And, I think his iso skills have been getting better each year.

fixed saw the future. RIP.

Fish, I'm really losing confidence in Kanter. He may have good shooting form but he can only shoot his jumper when he's wide open and it seems whenever there's someone contesting it, it alters the way he shoots and it's off the mark. His inability to play help D tonight also was part of the reason they were getting all those open 3's. Both Rudy and Booker make the Jazz a better team right now. I don't know if Kanter is ever going to turn it around.
Ya, every game I lose more hope for him.... combined with booker playing very good.

I have never said this yet but, bench kanter and start booker.

(When fish gives up on a core 4 guy you know he is truly sucking hard)

This. Sadly

I'd like to see Rudy prove he can hold onto the ball before he starts, and work on his body some more. Not sure if he can hold up physically with starter mins

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk