What's new

GODZINGIS vs GOBERA

• Thread starter Deleted member 5000
  • Start date
rudy can't guard 3 guys at the same time consistently though, and we barely won this game cuz of that play. that is my concern. like even though he's shown us moments like those, his defense stats still have gone down as a whole from the last two seasons. the man needs more help on the defensive end. he can't do it all by himself.
We shot like shot for three quarters and DM was too hyped for the game and turned it over a bit much.

Doesn't seem true, but according to a report I read from a Dallas paper, we led that game for a sum total of 73 seconds. Doncic did have a costly turnover with the score tied and also only made one field goal in the fourth with 66% from the line. One of the worst clutch performers in the league apparently (among star players). Scary team though with road wins in LA, Philadelphia, Toronto and Milwaukee. Of their 17 losses, 11 have been by 5 points or less I also read. Kinda reminds me of the Jazz and Mitchell (with no help) last year with those close losses. Doncic is clearly a special player like Mitchell and will improve in that department. Just a reminder of how lucky we are to have clutch performers like Gobert, Mitchell and Bogdanovic this season.

Doesn't seem true, but according to a report I read from a Dallas paper, we led that game for a sum total of 73 seconds. Doncic did have a costly turnover with the score tied and also only made one field goal in the fourth with 66% from the line. One of the worst clutch performers in the league apparently (among star players). Scary team though with road wins in LA, Philadelphia, Toronto and Milwaukee. Of their 17 losses, 11 have been by 5 points or less I also read. Kinda reminds me of the Jazz and Mitchell (with no help) last year with those close losses. Doncic is clearly a special player like Mitchell and will improve in that department. Just a reminder of how lucky we are to have clutch performers like Gobert, Mitchell and Bogdanovic this season.
I made this same observation in the quotes thread. I wonder how much of the clutch issues are Doncic needing help down the stretch vs just getting experience in winning close games.

Probably a bit of both I guess.

The Mavs just lack experience and some defense. That's why they struggle to close games. And it will likely be their undoing in the playoffs this season too. Future is bright though.

andy larsen's analysis on rudy's winning block against delon wright kinda sums it up nicely

https://www.sltrib.com/sports/2020/01/26/jazz-mavericks-analysis/

compared to the last two seasons in which rudy focus primarily on rim protection, he's forced to do more work on the perimeter this season and guard multiple guys at the same time, which ultimately hurts his defense stats. all due to us losing favors and replacing his minutes with bad defenders such as bojan and niang who would rely heavily on rudy to save their lives.

so despite tonight's win, i still view dallas as a bad matchup for us given the number of offensive weapons they have available to really work rudy on the perimeter and the inability of our perimeter defenders to keep up. we can't really expect rudy to consistently pull off that last play on a nightly basis. whenever rudy is drawn out of the paint to contest porzingis, finney smith, kleber, etc, they basically will have an clear path to take all the way to the basketball cuz we got nobody behind to step up and challenge. just in this game, we've seen at least 10 possessions in which doncic just drove to the basket completely unimpeded cuz rudy wasn't there. just way too easy. stuff like that will not work in our favor in a 7 game series.

We’ve seen how it ends for the Jazz in a 7 game series against teams that can score. IMO, this past offseason for Utah was a delicate balancing act in trying to improve the Offense drastically and trying to shift some of the scoring load off of Donovan while still managing to be an above average Defensive team. So far, I think it’s a resounding mission accomplished.

I’ve seen it mentioned a few times that Dallas is a bad match-up for us. I see it as: We just beat a very good team while Mitchell, Bogey, and Clarkson shot like garbage. If you wanna throw Ingles in there, while he only took 7 shots, he missed over half of them. In our future match-ups with Dallas, I’m pretty damn confident that we won’t see such bad shooting performances from all 4 players in the same game again. If Dallas was doing something to put added duress on our shooters, I’d be a bit more worried, but those guys were getting good looks. The ball just didn’t go in.

Dallas is a very legit team. So much so that they’re gonna pose some match-up problems for anybody they face in a 7 game series. I just happen to think that poor shooting performances by the Top 4 offensive threats from Utah helped negate the fact that we pose some pretty problematic match-up problems for Dallas as well.

Now why would it be up to 16 for western conference? lol But I mean, c'mon either the Clippers or Lakers would claim the number 1 seed. I don't like being the big homer like some you guys here, so I'm keeping it reasonable by saying 2 to 4 seed. That's all.

Balls to that I say! Balls!!!!! The fakers may hang on but if we go say 8-2 over this stretch we've got a decent chance of snagging the number 1 spot. The LeLakers lost today, a few more slips and we'll have them in our cross hairs. Damn you reasonableness man!!! Damn it to hell!!!!

The Jazz win a thrilling big game, and the Lakers lose and the headline on NBA sports is Lebrons Greatness. LMAO

I question... why are we playing Conley? I don’t care if he makes 100 million. If he isn’t going to play well let’s put Mudiay back in. I think we were playing better with him off the bench anyway.

I didn’t see Mudiay there today. Was he out?

He played very well in the 4th quarter and helped keep the Jazz in the game. Hell, it was probably a mistake to take him out at that point.

Somebody should probably say something about the rebounding. Gobert of course with 17, but Spida with 8, and Bradley with 9 in 11 minutes played. Even Conley had 4. Dallas is big, but we kicked their butts on the boards which allowed us to weather our poor shooting. That's how we won the game.

I made this same observation in the quotes thread. I wonder how much of the clutch issues are Doncic needing help down the stretch vs just getting experience in winning close games.

Probably a bit of both I guess.
Yeah, actually your post kind of inspired mine. Just didn’t think it was appropriate to quote and go off on a tangent in the Jazz Avenues thread.o_O

This offseason when Rudy said it was time for him to take his game to another level.....

he followed through.

Wow, no kidding! People seem to have forgotten how raw he was when we first got him. Hell, he wasn’t even starting for his National team! This year besides the pn’r he’s developed a post game with even a sweet lefty hook. Hell, the guy’s turning into a cross between Bill Russell and Kareem Abdul Jabbar! One of the reasons I’m not giving up on Bradley as well.

Last edited: