What's new

Guys, I don't think Ainge planned to tank...

Ainge planned to tank my dude.

He just wasnt tanking at all cost. He wanted the best possible assets, not to settle.

I definitely dont think he wanted to go into a OKC/Orlando style rebuild, but his initial goal was definitely to start the team with the most possible quality (aka 1st rounders) he could get his hands on.

All of Ainge's moves made sense even if the Jazz didn't have their own 2023 pick.

Obviously nobody expected the Jazz would be this good, but the purpose of those moves was to get a kingdom's worth of assets in exchange for a core that was obviously done competing for a title.

So will Jazz still have three first round picks if they keep playing this good?
I think so they just arent going to be lottery picks but who cares when we already have an All Stars in the making in Markkanen!!!

Ainge MO seems to be turning one mans trash into another mans treasure. Buy low, sell high. He also knows how to find a desperate buyer.

He got KG/Ray Allen for peanuts relatively speaking. He later traded KG and Pierce to a desperate Brooklyn which kicked started Celtics rebuild by drafting Brown/Tatum with those picks. He got Isaiah Thomas and Jae Crowder for virtually nothing and turned those two into Kyrie Irving who at the time was highly valued.

Comparing that to Gobert/Mitchell deals, he got his Thomas/Crowder in the form of Markaenen and Vanderbilt albeit vastly superior players with those two and far less likely to be traded. At the same time he got his picks in those two deals. All that is potentially left is the KG/Pierce deal which could happen if the Lakers get desperate, which could very well happen and would mean even more picks.

GUYS, I DON’T THINK DANNY AINGE PLANNED TO TANK

He pretty much said as much in that first News Conference, a sentiment reiterated on media day. Still according to most beat writers, NBA websites and fan forums like this one that was all wink, wink, nod, nod.

Ainge is obviously a shrewd business man, which shouldn’t be discounted by charges of fumbling one big, perhaps exaggerated but highly Conjectured lottery opportunity. Thanks to his persistence, we’re set up with firsts for years to come. Be they early or late, they can pay major dividends such as the two we just traded, Giannis, Butler, Poole etc.

But beyond his negotiating prowess, Ainge is a basketball savant IMO. Even more so than picks, Ainge was insistent on what players he wanted included in deals. He always had that blueprint in the back of his brain of what he was putting together, and he obviously intimately knows player’s abilities. People scoffed at the Beverly and Bogey deals that netted us THT and Olynyk respectively, but from a fit and team building perspective who’s griping now?

And the coach. Who doesn’t believe that Ainge was the Alpha Dog and the leading voice in the hiring decision. I mean we could of had Darvin Hamm or some old retread like Steve Clifford, or some Hot Shot former player like Steve Nash, but not for Danny Ainge. Ainge has a certain methodical, highly analytical way of doing things and it’s the right way. And for that, my hat goes off to Ryan Smith cause God knows that Gail wouldn’t have hired the guy that wooed Gordon Hayward to Tinseltown.

Even if you traded Conley, Beasley, and Olynyk today the Jazz would still probably be decent enough to win to the point they wouldn't be bottom 5. You'd have to trade Lauri at this point and Utah isn't stopping that low for a 14 chance at Victor.

Pretty much this.

Ainge planned to tank my dude.

He just wasnt tanking at all cost. He wanted the best possible assets, not to settle.

I definitely dont think he wanted to go into a OKC/Orlando style rebuild, but his initial goal was definitely to start the team with the most possible quality (aka 1st rounders) he could get his hands on.
wrong again smh Ainge has never tanked, all his assets have been other teams picks.
You just cannot get past all your previous takes like the one when you said " 4/6/23 will be the most important game of the season and it will decide who has the worst record in the NBA. "
lol

There's no way Ainge planned for this team to be a bottom 3 team with this roster. There is too much talent. The trade for Olynk to round out the roster was also a major sign they at least wanted to not suck really bad. The team has exceeded most people expectations though. I thought we would be .500 and maybe a low playoff team. That still could happen but now I'm thinking a 4/5 seed is possible.

We know there will be some great players in the mid to late first round. Hopefully Ainge can find them. The 'can't miss' top guys are starting to feel out of reach.