What's new

Has Any Jazz Player Hit Their Prime/Pinnacle Yet?

JazzyFresh

Banned
Just wondering what your thoughts are. It's really hard to say at this juncture I know, but I feel like there are a of couple guys that could be nearing it.

Favors would be at the top of my list. While he did improve last season, I just don't know if his ceiling is that much higher than it is now. He's still very young though and has continued to get better, so it tough to say he's there already. Again I'm just don't know what his ceiling is.

Hayward still has room to grow just like Favors, but how much? Can Hayward take that next step and become an super star player or is he going to be that borderline all star the rest of his career?

Burks is also a question to me. I know a lot of people think highly of him, but I just don't know how much better he's going to get. Is he going to become a legit jump shooter or is he going to be just a slasher the rest of his career?

I would also put Booker in the candidates, but I dont necessarily see him as a guy that needs to improve like these guys. To me he's more of a savvy vet, that if he improves, great. If not it's not overly detrimental.

To be clear in not saying any of these guys are at their prime yet, I'm more or less wondering how close they are or if you personally feel they are there yet.

Booker is probably in his prime.

He is probably at his athletic peak and his game is heavily dependent on his energy level, which benefits from great leaping ability.

Like cy said, Booker.

I think Hayward is closer to his ceiling than favors (Hayward is older too)

I think Burks has a big year of improvement next season and is not that close to his ceiling

Just booker.

I thought Hayward was peaking in 2014-- **** was I ever wrong.

Fav peaking at averaging 16PPG from completely incompetent PG play is still damn exciting. Imagine what hell average with a player who can properly and consistently make good plays for him. Obvs he hasn't peaked yet tho

Hayward and favors probably won't improve a ton more athletically, but they can definitely get smarter. I would say they hayward is pretty close to his pinnacle, and favors is a year behind that. Pretty good players, probably multiple all star appearances, but not superstars or franchise defining guys.

Like cy said, Booker.

I think Hayward is closer to his ceiling than favors (Hayward is older too)

I think Burks has a big year of improvement next season and is not that close to his ceiling
It's really easy to forget that burks is on the team after he missed so much time last year. I really hope he stays healthy so we can finally see what he will be like as a player. He definitely has number three on a good team potential.

Booker, Ingles, and Millsap. Hayward will probably peak this upcoming season or the next. Favors should make notable improvements for a couple more years.

I don't know how anybody could think Burks is close to his ceiling if they are paying attention (unfortunately, too many aren't paying attention, I'm afraid) He's only 23, has played only one full season with significant minutes and in the couple months he played last year, he improved his 3 pt shooting to a solid 38% and his jump shooting in general was among the best on the team while he was out there. To assume he's just a slasher, means people aren't paying attention to what's happening on the court. Add to that, playing for a coach who knows how to develop players and run an offense, the sky is the limit for AB.

Hayward has reached his ceiling. I see only small improvements from here on out. He made a huge leap this past year, and I dont think he has another huge leap in him. That would take him to top 10 players in the league. I see minor improvements with Hay like less turnovers, better passing, more knowledge of the game, etc. The question is whether he can perform for us in the playoffs.

Favors is very similar. I think hes reached his overall ceiling, and we are going to see minor improvements from here on out.

Players Im excited to see how far they can go. Exum, Hood, Burks, and obviously Gobert. I wouldnt be shocked if Hood is a cornerstone of this franchise for years to come.
I can see him hitting legendary shots on the playoffs for us.

Lol @ people saying players that improved their offensive production by 3-4 points per 36 just last year are done growing.

Lol @ people saying player that improved their offensive production by 3-4 points per 36 just last year are done growing.

So what would you guess Haywards ppg are next season? You think he's going to go up to 22/23 ppg? That's pretty bold if so.

So what would you guess Haywards ppg are next season? You think he's going to go up to 22/23 ppg? That's pretty bold if so.

I don't know if it will be next season, but I can see Hayward having a 22ppg season in the next 3 years + having improvements in other parts of his game. I can also see Favors having a 20/10 season by the time his current contract expires.

Last edited:
Nobody on this team has hit their prime or has learned all they need to. We've probably got a few who are finally reaching their max athletic ability, but nobody that has hit their prime with overall IQ, shooting percentage, etc. our team is so young that you might want to break this thread back out in 3-4 years.

Everyone will improve to some degree.

This season I'm expecting phenomenal to solid improvement from Gobert, Exum, Burks and Hood.

No, but that doesn't mean he's not improving. I mean technically, those who are saying guys have reached their ceilings, but will make small improvements...isn't that saying they haven't reached their ceilings yet (or are we raising the roof at the same time?).

I really don't care if Hayward or Favors become 20ppg players. I don't think that should be a goal. SA won the championship two years ago with their top scorer at <17ppg and no one played >30 mins/per (regular season averages). That's what I want to see! I want to see an incredibly balanced team with all 5 starters and 1-2 subs in the 14-18 pt. range. That would be a difficult team to beat.

I also want to see shorter minutes for our main players. Let them play at a higher intensity for shorter bursts. Then bring in the next wave. We're going to have the depth to do it.

No one on this team has reached their ceiling. Some may have less room to grow, but NO ONE is at their peak yet. And that has me pretty damn excited, especially with a coach known for player development!