What's new

Hayward - after 2 more seasons can opt out - due to DL gambling and losing....

I still think we overpaid for Hayward. The only thing that is making it look ok is the fact that the cap is changing. Hayward is our best player realistically, but he is also just too inconsistent to be the go-to guy, and I think what we see now is generally what we get. If he can maintain better percentages and cut down on the off-games he would go from a borderline all-star player to a near-perennial all-star level player. But that inconsistency drives his value down.

Hayward has a potential superstar center and a potential superstar point guard on his team, two great friends in Evans and Ingles (and I suspect we'll keep both, or potentially bring Evans into a front office job), a great relationship with his likely All Star power forward, and a coach who - while it isn't Brad Stevens - is one he really likes and respects. He's also seen first hand what happens, more often than not, when players leave in free agency - he had a front row seat to the D-Will experience. I'm sure he's watching what's happening in Charlotte this season. And he, for the forseeable future, is the leader of the squad. And he likes Salt Lake.

In other words, I have absolutely zero concern that he's even thinking about leaving. He knows what we're building and what he's got here.

+ a lot.

Simply put Hayward is looking forward to his future with the team and isn't thinking about leaving. That doesn't mean he doesn't have his best financial interests as a priority. I am pretty sure he will try to get as much money as possible as soon as possible, but no reason why he would try to do that somewhere else though !

Unless we're still a lottery team by the time he can opt out, I expect him to resign with the team. The question will be how much more he has progressed by then, how much of a raise he is looking for, & where our other wings (Burks, Hood, this year's draft pick if we go with a wing) are at in their development. If we are on the brink of becoming true contenders, I think Hayward would even be willing to take a little less $ to assure that we can retain all of our key members.

I agree that, in hindsight, it was a mistake to not sign Hayward to a deal similar to that which Favors received (if the rumors were true- although I seem to remember reports indicating that he was looking for slightly more than what DF received), but I understand why DL took the risk that he did. If I remember correctly, the Jazz were offering somewhere around 4/40 & when I heard that Favors had signed for 4/50, I felt like he was worth more than Hayward. I was undecided as to whether they should have gone that high, & was hoping that they would meet somewhere in the middle (4/44-46).

Unfortunately, that didn't happen, & Hayward went on to receive a max offer with an opt-out clause, after not having the type of season that you would expect to bring in that type of offer. DL certainly couldn't have anticipated that &, I expect, will handle these situations differently when it comes to future (& past) contract negotiations (ie Burks- wanted to retain him & did so by slightly overpaying in order to assure that he didn't receive a contract that they were uncomfortable matching- & Kanter- he wouldn't sign at a price that they felt was fair value so they traded him instead of allowing him to reach RFA).

I am (& I imagine DL is now too) a firm believer in not allowing others to dictate the terms of the contracts that you sign. Even after a down year from Hayward, we stated that we would still match any contract he received, which tells you that he was always in our future plans. Oh well, lesson learned; if you identify a player as a crucial part of your long-term plan, you retain him however necessary, even if that involves paying slightly more than you would like. The opt-out clause is worse than the paying him max $ part, especially when you figure it's only $3-4 mil more than what we could have paid him, as well as the timing of the opt-out, which comes just as we project to be truly contending.

I still think we overpaid for Hayward. The only thing that is making it look ok is the fact that the cap is changing. Hayward is our best player realistically, but he is also just too inconsistent to be the go-to guy, and I think what we see now is generally what we get. If he can maintain better percentages and cut down on the off-games he would go from a borderline all-star player to a near-perennial all-star level player. But that inconsistency drives his value down.

Good realistic non-god referential take on Hayward. It is what it is though, he's in our roster and I'm rolling with it. Just hope he becomes more consistent.

Good realistic non-god referential take on Hayward. It is what it is though, he's in our roster and I'm rolling with it. Just hope he becomes more consistent.

I also agree with LogGrad98. I see the determining factor for Hayward staying or going as how well this team develops over the next two years. I believe that that includes the continued development of Hayward. In other words how at that point how he sees his future with this team.

My point was rumor was Hayward wanted 4/50.

Rumor was that Gordon turned that down.

He then followed up passing on a huge extension by bricking a ton of pull-ups and being on a terrible team. The gamble was matching the offer sheet because he wasn't even close to worth that in the previous year. THAT gamble IS paying off.

He is going to opt out and probably close to a max again. I don't see him not being a top 30 player in 2 years from now, which will usually get you somewhere in the veteran max range (he would still be young too).

17th highest scorer in the entire league without anybody to create shots for him = inconsistent go to guy. Makes sense.

Hayward will be better next year, putting up close to 22/5/5. I'm not worried about him at all.

If I were him, that would be the only reason to leave, to get to a contender. (Hopefully we are there by then and makes it a no brainer)

He might want to get to a big market and pile up endorsements that would make his salary look puny

Derp. I'm gonna have another beer...

Yeah!

I don't think Hayward will leave. I think given the demographics of the area, what his wife looks like and what he likes to do, SLC is the perfect place for him.

Every single team in the NBA would love having Hayward on their squad. He has somehow pulled off respectable percentages on max-like numbers while playing with one of the worst SG AND PG rotations in the NBA. It's really quite remarkable.

17th highest scorer in the entire league without anybody to create shots for him = inconsistent go to guy. Makes sense.

Hayward will be better next year, putting up close to 22/5/5. I'm not worried about him at all.

I doubt we will see much statistical improvement. We are going ot have a healthy Burks and improved players across teh board. I think Hayward's numbers relatively stable for the next 2 years.

I want to know who these mythical more consistent players are? All player's in the league have off shooting nights. Hayward brings it in other area's of the game even when he is missing shots. Hell some of the best shooters in the league have horrible shooting nights. Some of them don't bring a lot to the game besides scoring. At the very least Hayward brings it on both ends of the court far more often than not.
I was on the we over paid for him train. I was wrong. He is now worth the contract and to think he should be more consistent to me is the height of having unrealistic expectations. Can he get better? Absolutely, especially with a little more help and improvement from the young guys. But don't expect him to eliminate off nights. That won't ever happen.

I don't see Hayward leaving unless the changes to the CBA make it so we can't pay him more.

Hayward has two all-star caliber players up front, a surprisingly shiny rookie at the deuce, and (hopefully) a growing starter at the 1. On top of that, he's got a mad-scientist coach and a system that helped to improve his overall game and he can make more cash here.

The only reason he leaves is because he hates the scenery. He's already tacitly stated he likes the Jazz when he said he took Kancer's remarks "personally".

Last edited:
Hayward was definitely worth every penny. It just sucks we couldn't dictate the terms and get that extra year. That extra year would have been huge, considering now we'll have to try to convince Hayward to stay the same year we are maxing Rudy, and deciding on Trey (Trey still has to prove himself, and hopefully we cab ink Rudy before Oct 30th so we aren't dealling with it the sametime we are dealing with Hayward). But, with the new CBA dollars being available, it is scary to think what those contracts will look like. The next year, we'll have Rodney, Derrick, and Exum to pay. Madness.

Even though we have some money this offseason, we need to be wise with it if we want to keep these guys together.