What's new

Hayward has agreed to an offer with Hornets

Adrian Wojnarowski ✔ @WojYahooNBA
Follow
Charlotte offer sheet for Gordon Hayward expected to include player option on fourth year, and a trade kicker, league sources tell Yahoo.

A trade kicker could hurt us. Don't see us matching.

Damn, Hayward getting that Lebron max offer clauses.

I completely reject the "who else would we pay?" argument. If a guy's not worth the $, he's not worth the $. Period. Look at some of the crippling contracts we were stuck with around here in years past.

DL has a hell of a decision to make here. If he thinks that GH will thrive under Quin with the rest of the young guys, then **** it - pony up and give Gordo the max. It's just really tough to project a guy so highly coming off of a fairly mediocre season.

Honestly - I hope we let him walk.

How dumb are you?

-This max contract doesn't restrict Burks and Kanter extensions

Unless burks and kanter figure they can play crappy next year and then become restricted free agents and get the max from the jazz too

Assuming the Hornets are using the line of thought "Hayward played pretty well besides shooting, which he has been historically good at. If he continues the same production, but his shooting corrects itself, we have someone approaching a max contract player. Plus we just had Hairston punch a HS kid in the throat, we need someone who looks nice to make the PR Guy's job easier."
If I was a terrible team , I could maybe possibly somewhat justify not completely hating this. But I like to think we are well run. And we have plenty of other players to develop and sign to deals they might actually deserve. This is exactly what teams like Charlotte do, which is why we'd be insane to match.

I wonder if the Jazz don't have a third option - do a sign and trade. What can we get from the Hornets? First round pick? That's probably going to be borderline lottery. Any other asset that you'd like to have from the Hornets? MKG?

How dumb are you?

-This max contract doesn't restrict Burks and Kanter extensions

-You would rather have Al Jefferson over Hayward on your team?

It holds up money for future signings. Just because we have space right now doesn't mean we should just fill it with overpriced players that don't deserve the money they are making.

I'd rather have Big Al, he put up all star numbers on a top 5 defensive team. Plus his contract is better.

I completely reject the "who else would we pay?" argument.

Agree.... completely retarded arguement.

there are lots of guys we could pay

None would come. Jazz have never been able to sign a max-type player. Never.
Marvin williams would come for the max i bet.

I mean we have the money right?

He may not be, but he received a max offer sheet and all indications show the Jazz will match.
This is true. I dont see a point, opinion, or any new info in this post.... but it is true

We won't lose an asset - period.

I know this is more than he's worth, but who else is going to take the $30 mil we have to sign just this year? I haven't seen a lot of FA's at Best Buy lately.

Im not a fan of tanking, but I'm pretty sure Hayward just gift-wrapped a reason for the Jazz to bottom-feed.

Theres SF's out there that can fill minutes next season though, I know yall have seen Francisco Garcia in the west for the past 9 seasons, hes far from ideal but a platoon of him and Hood could get the job done.

Who knows what improvements Burks has made this offseason too, if he put on 10lbs of muscle he might be able to play SF much better than what we saw last season.

Exum is skinny, but you could play him some minutes at SF, and run like hell.

Rodney Hood is probably ready for more minutes than most would give him credit for, his defense isnt ****. but hes money in halfcourt offense.

We won't lose an asset - period.

I know this is more than he's worth, but who else is going to take the $30 mil we have to sign just this year? I haven't seen a lot of FA's at Best Buy lately.

Im sure marvin williams, trevor ariza, bazemore and many other players undeserving of the max (like hayward) would take it.

Hell, might as well max them all. We have the money right? Might as well spend it

Adrian WojnarowskiVerified account
‏@WojYahooNBA
Jazz prepared for possibility of max sheet for Hayward and remain unwavering about revelation it's coming: They plan to match and keep him.