What's new

Hayward has agreed to an offer with Hornets

Which player was available, who wanted to come to Utah, that the Kirilenko contract prevented us from getting?

I'm not making any assumptions about Hayward wanting to take a paycut. If you read my post, you'll see that I was projecting what the market will be like for Hayward in four years. That's what is going to determine his next contract.

I think the Jazz would have been much more likely to match the Wes Matthews contract if it weren't for AK's contract. Thats what we're looking at here too, losing Burke or Gobert because we have can't afford what they are offered (assuming Kanter and Burks are both re-signed). I'm OK if they re-sign him if that's what they choose. That's 3 years away, and we may be OK letting Burke walk if Exum becomes a stud.

Which player was available, who wanted to come to Utah, that the Kirilenko contract prevented us from getting?

I didn't take you for a fool, but it seems you think that cap space can be utilized strictly and exclusively for the pursuit of other teams' free agents. That is ****ing foolish.

Last edited:
Doubt that will happen. I'm against the match, but if we do match I'm behind Hayward 100% and hope he can turn into a superstar like Paul George / Leonard, etc.
Ya me too.

Still gonna say told you so doe

I think the Jazz would have been much more likely to match the Wes Matthews contract if it weren't for AK's contract. Thats what we're looking at here too, losing Burke or Gobert because we have can't afford what they are offered (assuming Kanter and Burks are both re-signed). I'm OK if they re-sign him if that's what they choose. That's 3 years away, and we may be OK letting Burke walk if Exum becomes a stud.

Exactly. $6M was high, but might have been matched. But largely due to AK's contract, Matthews' deal would have cost the Jazz $9M+. Portland knew that and made the offer accordingly.

If we had Hayward instead of AK on those teams, how much better would Utah have been? Would the huge contract have been such an issue?

I didn't take you for a fool, but it seems you think that cap space can be utilized strictly and exclusively for the pursuit of other teams' free agents. That is ****ing foolish.

What? That's not at all what I was implying. The Jazz were able to add talent to the team in several ways over the life of that contract. We signed good free agents, we made good trades, we drafted okay, we kept our own free agents.... (I did talk about this in my original post in this thread.) Amongst the additional values of having cap space is having the capacity to pick up players and assets in salary dump trades. I get that. But after a certain point, I'd rather have a strong roster and no cap space. "A bird in the hand...."

You play the tanking / rebuilding / assets-for-cap space game for a limited period of time. Then you cash in, and try to become something. I don't think AK's contract prevented us from becoming something. Neither will Hayward's. It sounds like we may have a difference of opinion.

I think the Jazz would have been much more likely to match the Wes Matthews contract if it weren't for AK's contract.

That is a damn good example. They made a colossal mistake in thinking Raja would be better than Matthews going forward. Yeah. Okay. You make an excellent point. I'll concede that one.

I still think it will be the right thing to match on Hayward, though, for all the other reasons I've stated.

Duh.

But for those that say we shouldn't match (i.e. me) and he goes to Charlotte and puts up back-to-back 30+ point games, the "we should match" crowd screams at the top of their lungs.. same in reverse.

It WILL happen, no matter what.. and I'll love it, because drama is what I come here for.

JohnnyDrama.jpg

Duh.

But for those that say we shouldn't match (i.e. me) and he goes to Charlotte and puts up back-to-back 30+ point games, the "we should match" crowd screams at the top of their lungs.. same in reverse.

It WILL happen, no matter what.. and I'll love it, because drama is what I come here for.

If the Jazz match, I'll just have to convince myself Gordon can bring it more often like he did that one game against OKC, when he scored 37 points, including the last 17 of the 4th quarter and shot 13-16. That was a fun game to watch!

If the Jazz match, I'll just have to convince myself Gordon can bring it more often like he did that one game against OKC, when he scored 37 points, including the last 17 of the 4th quarter and shot 13-16. That was a fun game to watch!

I wonder how much uncertainty around contract and extension impacted his game last year. May be he would be more relaxed this coming season, may be having Exum breaking down the defense will give him more scoring opportunities & easier catch and shoot chances, may be Hood & Burke's shooting will open things up for him....

#May_Be

If we had Hayward instead of AK on those teams, how much better would Utah have been? Would the huge contract have been such an issue?
I think hayward would have been a little bit better fit..... but ak was a better player (at least early on when he was gettin 5×5)
So i dont think it would have made a big difference...... though if we had hayward instead of ak, after ak became an injured whiny lil bitch, then he woukd have maybe made us a fair amount better

I think hayward would have been a little bit better fit..... but ak was a better player (at least early on when he was gettin 5×5)
So i dont think it would have made a big difference...... though if we had hayward instead of ak, after ak became an injured whiny lil bitch, then he woukd have maybe made us a fair amount better

AK must break Hayward.

I'm gonna predict we do a S&T and get a couple ends and expiring ex-Spur Gary Neal back.

For Hayward?
I predict we'll do a S&T of Marvin to a contender. Williams is a great guy and a solid player. I hope he finds a good home (now I'm making him sound like an abandoned puppy). Seriously, I think Utah needs to move forward with Hood as the backup SF and Novak and maybe Murphy get the stretch-4 mins. So let's get assets back for allowing someone to get Marvin.

I'm not well-versed on S&T's under the new CBA. I'm sure there are restrictions on what teams can do.

We can't sign and trade Hayward now that he signed the offer sheet.

We can't sign and trade Hayward now that he signed the offer sheet.

It's shocking to me how many people don't understand this. I was listening 1280 The Zone on the radio yesterday, and one of the radio guys (can't remember who) was saying the same thing--that the Jazz should do a sign & trade. Sorry, not possible!!