What's new

HBO’s The Outsider

Keefe

Please discuss. This show based on the Steven King novel started on Sunday with its’ first two episodes.

I watched episode one last night and thought it was excellent. It’s currently sitting at a 9.1 on IMDb and for good reason.

I’m not a big fan of the supernatural and **** like that but if delivered right (see The Green Mile), it can work.

Please discuss. This show based on the Steven King novel started on Sunday with its’ first two episodes.

I watched episode one last night and thought it was excellent. It’s currently sitting at a 9.1 on IMDb and for good reason.

I’m not a big fan of the supernatural and **** like that but if delivered right (see The Green Mile), it can work.
You read the book?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using JazzFanz mobile app

I'll check it out.

I read a lot of SK when I was younger but haven't in a long time. I'll have to pick a few things up. I "read" via audiobook quite a bit lately...

Fwiw King handles that kind of stuff pretty well most of the time. Hearts in Atlantis is imo his best quasi-dark-tower book and it handled that aspect with aplomb. I'll have to check this out.

Man, episode 3 was really good. I’m a bit nervous for the direction it may be going but hopefully they deliver it well.

I'm loving this show. I haven't read much as I'm trying to avoid the spoilers but I hope it's a one season show rather than being stretched out.

I'm loving this show. I haven't read much as I'm trying to avoid the spoilers but I hope it's a one season show rather than being stretched out.

It is so far as I know. It’s based off of a King novel. And yeah, though a different genre, it’s a bit reminiscent of The Night Of, but I find the pacing, mood and writing to be better in this. TNO was far too clichéd for me.

Watched ep 1 last night. Wife and I both thought it was solid. I'm definitely intrigued enough to be committed to seeing how it all plays out.

I will be watching this eventually, no doubt

Anyone still watching? First 2 eps are great but it’s gotten progressively worse each episode since, until the last 2 min of the last episode anyways. Will finish it but I’ve lost quite a bit of interest.

Anyone still watching? First 2 eps are great but it’s gotten progressively worse each episode since, until the last 2 min of the last episode anyways. Will finish it but I’ve lost quite a bit of interest.
I stopped after episode 1. Really can't stand the way that lead detective talks. Noticed a few things that seemed like inconsistencies, maybe they get cleared up but I don't see how. I didn't find the plot as far as it had been revealed very interesting as it seems that it hinges on some sort of supernatural BS that will eventually be revealed.

I love Jason Bateman and would almost just keep watching because of him but I'm hating that lead detective enough to cancel that out.

Ben Mendelsohn’s been really ****ing good. Period.

As far as supernatural bs, if you watched the trailer for two seconds, it’s pretty obvious there is going to be some sort of supernatural element. I can’t stand that **** either but this show’s slow reveal has presented it about as well as you can.

I disagree with beer that it’s gotten progressively worse. I think it’s been strong throughout though I did think episode 6 was the weakest of the bunch so far.

This show has been cast exceptionally well. The big ****ed up detective is perfect for this. The black chick who was up for an Oscar for Harriet is exceptional. I really like Mendelsohn’s partner—the Hispanic guy who talks in a sort of quiet manner. He’s really good and fwiw, I think is the guy from Seinfeld who with his partner steals Elaine’s armoire off the sidewalk and in a different episode during the AIDS walk blurts out, “Who?! Who doesn’t want to wear the ribbon?!” That dude was also in that Depp movie Nick of Time from like 30 years ago where his little girl is kidnapped by Walker for political reasons.

As far as supernatural bs, if you watched the trailer for two seconds, it’s pretty obvious there is going to be some sort of supernatural element. I can’t stand that **** either but this show’s slow reveal has presented it about as well as you can.

I disagree with beer that it’s gotten progressively worse. I think it’s been strong throughout though I did think episode 6 was the weakest of the bunch so far.
Well I might have kept watching but my wife isn't interested and I don't watch any TV other than the occasional Jazz game by myself. I have enough shows to watch that I don't need to watch something I'm on the fence with.

Nothing personal.

It is a great cast and great acting just has kind of lost its steam. That might be a symptom of starting out so strong or it might be plot based. Even IMDb has every episode rated worse and worse so it’s not just me.

Loved that episode. This show is about as perfectly done as a show can be.

My one criticism would be how easily some of the cops bought the story a few episodes back. There wasn’t quite enough disbelief or gtfo from them. Beyond that, the show is exceptional considering how insane the plot is.

Loved that episode. This show is about as perfectly done as a show can be.

My one criticism would be how easily some of the cops bought the story a few episodes back. There wasn’t quite enough disbelief or gtfo from them. Beyond that, the show is exceptional considering how insane the plot is.
Wow that's high praise. Definitely gonna start this series tomorrow night

So a little update. I watched episode 2 and 3 by myself then told my wife it was worth giving more of a chance. So then I watched 2, 3 and 4 with her, then we seemingly dropped it with a few other shows we always watch starting back up. So tonight I decided I was going to keep going without my wife, but she woke up to use the restroom and I told her I was about to keep watching without her and she told me not to, that she wanted to keep watching it.

So that's where I'm at. We're going to keep watching but I think it's about #5 at best on our shows to watch depth chart.