What's new

Hey Everyone... Lets Chill on Writing Hendricks Off... TIA

Btw I completely acknowledge that hendricks has sucked. But a few guys have challenged him for sucking even more. Hawkins has been trash. Black has been a dumpster fire. JHS has been very poopy. A few others have had horrendous games with a few tiny flashes of good play.
If hendricks doesn't have the off season injury and gets to play in SL and practice more and if he gets more minutes in preseason (doesn't have a bunch of good dudes in front of him) then he would likely have a few decent games and some flashes of good play to go along with his garbage as well.
Hendricks hasnt just "sucked" though. He doesnt look comfortable or like he can really play at the NBA level (currently). I havent watched every single rookie, but a lot of them have looked great to my eye test. Ausar Thompson might not have great stats, but he always looks like he's out there making an impact.

Hendricks hasnt just "sucked" though. He doesnt look comfortable or like he can really play at the NBA level (currently). I havent watched every single rookie, but a lot of them have looked great to my eye test. Ausar Thompson might not have great stats, but he always looks like he's out there making an impact.
Eh, Hendricks shot has looked nice and smooth (black cant make a free throw while henny drains em) and he looks really fast and agile and bouncy and has good size. Physically looks like he belongs. mentally he looks really bad. Like he doesn't know what he is doing. Something that more practice and more time on the court with his teammates might help. Maybe that injury and missing summer league and practice time hurt him more than you know. Im sure you would never consider that though as we are talking about a player that you are rooting against.

And yeah, rookies dont put up great stats in the pre-season or usually to start the year.

Hendricks is on a different level of not ready than every other lottery pick I've seen.
Well to be fair Anthony Black has looked raw, very confused and borderline disastrous on offense. There were absolutely no preseason highlight videos posted about him in YT so I went to check the second half of their game against Pels and he just looked unplayable. G League likely for him as well.

Should we be concerned that he was our top target? I would say no. Its super hard to predict when the person steps in the way of the player, which I think is the case for both Black and Hendricks. And just because they need seasoning, it doesnt mean they wont ever be good either.

Well to be fair Anthony Black has looked raw, very confused and borderline disastrous on offense. There were absolutely no preseason highlight videos posted about him in YT so I went to check the second half of their game against Pels and he just looked unplayable. G League likely for him as well.

Should we be concerned that he was our top target? I would say no. Its super hard to predict when the person steps in the way of the player, which I think is the case for both Black and Hendricks. And just because they need seasoning, it doesnt mean they wont ever be good either.
I haven't watched Hawkins (a guy I really really liked) or JHS play but they have been really really bad statistically. Worse than Hendricks.

I think Jarace walker had one good game and the rest have been horrendous. Cason wallace has been quite bad. Grady dick has been pretty horrible. Bufkin has sucked. Its just dumb to freak out about a rookie already and say anything and everything negative about a rookie without using perspective and context. Especially when the rookie plays for your favorite team. Hendricks looks long, bouncy, agile and really really fast (his speed running the court jumps out at me) and his shot has looked smooth for the most part. It isn't all bad even though he has sucked. And again, his situation so far has been less than ideal to show what he can do. With more games (SL and preseason) and more minutes and opportunities the chances of more flashes goes up. Unfortunately he missed time to injury and has really good players and vets getting most of the minutes.

I havent watched Black at all so no comment.

I think it's not a great sign when a rookie looks as raw as Hendricks. If you read through the draft thread, the people who loved Hendricks billed him as being NBA ready. I havent given up on him (not that I ever believed in him to a large degree, but I think he should be a solid role player one day).

I think it's not a great sign when a rookie looks as raw as Hendricks. If you read through the draft thread, the people who loved Hendricks billed him as being NBA ready.
100% correct. No one has argued otherwise.

What's happening isn't surprising. Remember when we ranked all the dudes we loved and couldn't wait to possibly get on the team? But every so often everyone would have to be reminded that likely half of these dudes or more will just completely flame out. Of the ones who won't, many will not look good very early in their careers.

That's all we are seeing, those awful stats, for lots of players that's real, many dudes who we all know the names of, and thought would at least be rotational NBA players won't be that at all. We are just seeing the first signs of it. All we can do is hope our guys fall on the right side of the aisle.

I haven't watched Hawkins (a guy I really really liked) or JHS play but they have been really really bad statistically. Worse than Hendricks.

I think Jarace walker had one good game and the rest have been horrendous. Cason wallace has been quite bad. Grady dick has been pretty horrible. Bufkin has sucked. Its just dumb to freak out about a rookie already and say anything and everything negative about a rookie without using perspective and context. Especially when the rookie plays for your favorite team. Hendricks looks long, bouncy, agile and really really fast (his speed running the court jumps out at me) and his shot has looked smooth for the most part. It isn't all bad even though he has sucked.
Well here are Blacks stats (which is why I went to watch that half a game)

1697727713117.png

What's happening isn't surprising. Remember when we ranked all the dudes we loved and couldn't wait to possibly get on the team? But every so often everyone would have to be reminded that likely half of these dudes or more will just completely flame out. Of the ones who won't, many will not look good very early in their careers.

That's all we are seeing, those awful stats, for lots of players that's real, many dudes who we all know the names of, and thought would at least be rotational NBA players won't be that at all. We are just seeing the first signs of it. All we can do is hope our guys fall on the right side of the aisle.
This is very true. And also there are guys who look good now but will for whatever reason end up flaming out later on (injuries, personal trouble, limited ceiling etc.). So right now we evaluate them on a rookie scale but some might never reach pro scale.

History is full of ROTY top 3 finishers who turned into trash after looking like stars.

Yeah, that's a good point. Every year a lot of people think 30 players from the rookie class will eventually be solid NBA players, but it ends up being like half that at most. People really get mad at Locke when he points that out every year.

Good news is that I would put Keyonte with Amen, Cam, and Bilal as being as good as or better than expected and guys the fans are happy with.

I wish the internet were full of communities that reminded people, when appropriate, about the lack of available evidence. It sucks that it’s been the turbocharged opposite of that.

Some people are starting to argue that AI will kill parts of internet community life/formation. Kinda hard not to root for this outcome (while hoping that good guardrails are put on AI).

Well here are Blacks stats (which is why I went to watch that half a game)

View attachment 15235
Thats really bad. PG with more turnovers than assists (he had a poor assist to turnover ratio in college too). Shooting 27% from the field, zero % from three and 25% from the line. A point guard who cant shoot is not ideal. (couldn't shoot in college either). Really doesn't get uglier than that.

Some of you are going way overboard. A young player can go from looking lost to nba ready very quickly if they get some consistent minutes to work through the nerves and build some confidence. Unfortunately I don't think Hardy will even give him that chance. With Ochai last year it took management stepping in and forcing his hand to get consistent minutes.

Btw I completely acknowledge that hendricks has sucked. But a few guys have challenged him for sucking even more. Hawkins has been trash. Black has been a dumpster fire. JHS has been very poopy. A few others have had horrendous games with a few tiny flashes of good play.
If hendricks doesn't have the off season injury and gets to play in SL and practice more and if he gets more minutes in preseason (doesn't have a bunch of good dudes in front of him) then he would likely have a few decent games and some flashes of good play to go along with his garbage as well.

It's a bit unfair of a comparison though. You should take into consideration that the guys you mentioned probably played mostly against rotational nba players and they also have more complex roles on their team, handle the ball etc. So it's understandable that they struggled. While Hendricks played against complete scrubs and looked totally clueless.

For some perspective:
2023 picks drafted ahead of and around Hendricks and the stats in their recent game (went back like 5 nights or so)

Kobe bufkin: 3-11 shooting for 8 points and 3 fouls in 22 minutes

jarace walker: 2-8 for 4 points with 2 rebounds in 14 minutes. Also was a negative 24 in plus minus. By far the worst on the team. Pacers won the game by 4

Cason wallace: didn't play for the thunder in their last game.

Grady dick: 2-5 for 7 points with 3 turnovers in 17 minutes. Zero assists, zero steals, zero blocks.

Jordan Hawkins: 1-8 for 3 points (1-7 from 3) in 18 minutes. Did nothing else at all this game.

Anthony black: 0-1 for 1 point with zero assists and a turnover in 13 minutes (1-4 from the line lol)

Jett Howard: 0-6 (0-5 from three) for zero points in 12 minutes. Did nothing else at all this game.

Amen Thompson: 2-5 for 5 points in 21 minutes. Had 4 turnovers and 5 fouls lol.

Cam whitmore: 4-15 (1-7 from three). He did have 17 points and 6 steals though. 30 minutes.

Sidy cissko was a guy many of us liked and he only played 6 minutes for zero points in this same game (rockets vs spurs)

Bilal Coulibaly: 1-5 and the only player on the wizards who was a negative in plus minus (-4) in a game the wizards won by almost 30 points

Grady Dick: 2-7 (1-4 from three) for 5 points in 17 minutes

Cason wallace: played 8 minutes and scored 5 points. Zero assists, Zero steals, Zero rebounds, zero blocks and a negative 4 in plus minus

Brandon Miller: played 29 minutes and scored 8 points. (he did have an ok game overall though. #2 pick)

Scoot: Played 30 minutes and was 3-11 shooting. (0-3 from three) 8 points. negative 13 in plus/minus

Sidy: Played 9 minutes and was 0-2 for zero points negative 17 in plus/minus

Ausar thompson: 31 minutes 2-10 for 8 points

Cason wallace: 2-7 in 20 minutes

anthony black: 15 minutes. 2-5 shooting. zero assists. 3 fouls. 4 points.
As for playing for contenders or even for teams that aim for the playoffs, all these kids are in diapers and need time.

Let him figure it out. Sometimes it takes a year or two for a raw player. After that, it is a problem.
If you're raw, sure. But when you're a top 10 pick who was supposed to be much more NBA ready than your average draftee, it's already a problem. Someone messed up.

Sometimes it makes sense to pick an otherworldly athlete near the top even though it's clear to everybody that they're a major project. Hendricks is not that either. Not sure what he is.

Its
It's a bit unfair of a comparison though. You should take into consideration that the guys you mentioned probably played mostly against rotational nba players and they also have more complex roles on their team, handle the ball etc. So it's understandable that they struggled. While Hendricks played against complete scrubs and looked totally clueless.
It's preseason though. Everyone is playing against scrubs sometimes. If you look you will find that there are a bunch of teams in the pre season this season from other countries with talent like when we played new Zealand.

Anthony black is coming off the bench every game. Not playing against starters. Same with jarace walker. Same with jett Howard and Jordan Hawkins. Most of these rookies are coming off the bench playing against bench players. Many coaches are limiting starters or not playing them at all.

But I mean if you want to find the data to make the perfect comparison then be my guest. Find every minute every rookie played and find who they were guarding and who was guarding them for every second and that type of thing and then do your own analysis of who has played well and who hasn't.

I used the data I used and posted the results.