What's new

Hey Everyone... Lets Chill on Writing Hendricks Off... TIA

I think I’m on record saying I thought this draft wasn’t as good as people were making it out to be. I thought a lot of players were slated a notch higher than they would be on a standard draft. It’s definitely a very young class with very few older players so we’ll have to give it time.
I never thought he was "NBA ready." He's 19, and big guys, with the exception of Kessler, take three years or so to start to show out. I also was not a fan of the coaching he was getting in college and I knew he was going to have to be rebuilt to match what the Jazz want out of him.

What we knew is that he was super athletic and could shoot. The shooting being a sure thing is a very nice luxury most of the other lottery picks don't have. I guess that might make others think he was NBA ready?

I never thought he was "NBA ready." He's 19, and big guys, with the exception of Kessler, take three years or so to start to show out. I also was not a fan of the coaching he was getting in college and I knew he was going to have to be rebuilt to match what the Jazz want out of him.

What we knew is that he was super athletic and could shoot. The shooting being a sure thing is a very nice luxury most of the other lottery picks don't have. I guess that might make others think he was NBA ready?

For me at least, there was an assumption that 1) he could defend and 2) he could shoot. I still think he can shoot, but if I had to bet his defense is not looking pretty in camp. If you can do those two things you have a really easy path to playing time especially in a smaller role. I don't know if it's correct to call him a big, but I don't actually think it's true that bigs take a longer time to contribute nowadays. Maybe in the past when they were posting up, but nowadays most C's have streamlined roles. In any case, I thought his role would be simple: stand in the corner, hit threes, and defend.

I was calling Bilal the French Michael Jordan and.was desperate.we traded picks to get him. I probably still overrate him but dang it! We could have had Dunn, KG, Bilal, Ochai, Kessler as our 2nd unit. :(

I was calling Bilal the French Michael Jordan and.was desperate.we traded picks to get him. I probably still overrate him but dang it! We could have had Dunn, KG, Bilal, Ochai, Kessler as our 2nd unit. :(
Bilal has looked very good. I only worry that the Wizards end up turning into some obnoxious Jordan Poole one man show and that will hurt him a bit.

Poole went for like 50% usage in the first half against the Knicks and absolutely did not look to pass the ball..... In a freaking preseason game.

KqWIN with some really really good posts the last couple pages. Well done dude

Sent from my iPad using JazzFanz mobile app

Just wild to me the guy billed as a shot blocking super athlete hasn't had a single highlight moment in 60 preseason minutes. He looks like a guy I would have some hope for if you told me he was the 35th pick but I would still be on the fence about.

You can call it hating all you want, but he gave us nothing on film to get excited about. I would be shocked if he gets any minutes this year unless the Jazz turn on a tanking effort. At this point I'm a bit concerned the G-League is going to be too much for him.

I think it's not a great sign when a rookie looks as raw as Hendricks. If you read through the draft thread, the people who loved Hendricks billed him as being NBA ready. I havent given up on him (not that I ever believed in him to a large degree, but I think he should be a solid role player one day).
How many of the rookies are 19 years old? I honestly don't know the answer, just thinking about it. It's pretty unusual that we drafted three 19 yr old freshmen.

How many of the rookies are 19 years old? I honestly don't know the answer, just thinking about it. It's pretty unusual that we drafted three 19 yr old freshmen.
Holy cow. I guess a lot of them were/are. Maybe has something to do with why a lot of the rookies aren't looking awesome so far.

Just wild to me the guy billed as a shot blocking super athlete hasn't had a single highlight moment in 60 preseason minutes. He looks like a guy I would have some hope for if you told me he was the 35th pick but I would still be on the fence about.

You can call it hating all you want, but he gave us nothing on film to get excited about. I would be shocked if he gets any minutes this year unless the Jazz turn on a tanking effort. At this point I'm a bit concerned the G-League is going to be too much for him.
Every single rookie in the league gets the benefit of doubt in the preseason!

Except one, apparently. . .

Every single rookie in the league gets the benefit of doubt in the preseason!

Except one, apparently. . .
Other rookies showed flashes or things that are interesting.

We drafted a stand in the corner shooter who can't do a single other thing.

Had a thought...

No matter how bad Hendricks he won't be as disappointing when we used 3 on Kanter
Or 5 on DedEx.

At one point last season I pointed out that we have found some of the best players in franchize history including our HoF duo around the 15th pick (Stockton 16, Malone 13).

Lets hope this year repeats that history.

You can fool yourself. Hendrix need time and his ceiling is around Collins. Wemby will be like out of box for three years. Didnt we need tank better to have a chance for him? We have change of generation for next five years in the nba right now. Jazz will be in the rebulding for years . Good luck no tankers.

Last edited: