What's new

Hill is probably going to the Jazz, if they want him.

framer

I see all of the hand wringing about Hill is a lock to the Spurs, and I shake my head. Lets do the analysis.

1. Just about all of the possible destinations for Hill to go to have dried up. Not just the contending teams with cap, but almost all teams that are in the market for a point guard of any kind have that position covered.

2. That leaves the Jazz and the Spurs.

3. In order to get the money to spend for Hill at the contract that he will be looking for, the Spurs will pretty much need to liquidate Gasol, Green, or Aldridge. If effect they would be trading Gasol, Green, or Aldridge for Hill.

4. Green isn't going anywhere. He is a key ingredient of what the Spurs do and isn't easily replaceable in the system.

5. Gasol and Aldridge have been relative disappointments for what was given to get them, but they are your front line, without much depth behind them. And they don't suck. If you are going to jettison one or both, you will need to get back bigs with talent, preferably also with youth. George Hill is the opposite of what they would need.

6. The difference between Hill and Patty Mills at the 1 is far less than what you are going to get from swapping out Aldridge or Gasol and whatever you are going to get from the scrap heap.

7. Point guard is a position of need, but unless you are going to get a young star or a superstar with mileage, the cost is way too great to sacrifice your front court.

8. Hill is past 30 with a record of not playing for non-trivial stretches of the season. Spurs are one of the best GM'd teams in the league. They know this better than anyone.

9. Pop is not above, however, creating noise to drive up the price of one of his "favorite" players in order to get that player more money and to place more financial handcuffs on a rival.

10. DL is not an idiot either. I think he is aware of the market and that a 4 year 80 million dollar offer is more than enough to get Hill. However, I think that this offer is contingent on Hayward also signing. If no Hayward, the money available to Hill goes down considerably. If Hill and Hayward are "good friends" the only way that both maximize their value entirely is to stay in Utah, which is also a pretty good situation.

"1. Just about all of the possible destinations for Hill to go to have dried up. Not just the contending teams with cap, but almost all teams that are in the market for a point guard of any kind have that position covered."

Hill to the Clippers?

"1. Just about all of the possible destinations for Hill to go to have dried up. Not just the contending teams with cap, but almost all teams that are in the market for a point guard of any kind have that position covered."

Hill to the Clippers?
Not for what he gets paid. They're tearing it down to the foundations and starting over. My guess is that they preserve 2 max cap space for next year's mega free agency period. Ballmer is going to go cheap this year and then try to make a LeBron James sized splash next year.

Ehhh

The good news is that the bad teams who could run up his price probably wont run up his price.

The bad news is that the team who has always been the main competitor for Hill still remains the main competitor, and with the CP3 trade it might be that George Hill is now the priority #1 target for the Spurs.

Add Minnesota to the mix too.

Yeah, but they have to clear space and trade out of Rubio to make that happen.

My dream (in the event where Hill says he doesnt want to sign with Utah) is still that Minnesota gets so thirsty to get out of Rubio to get Hill that they give us a S&T where they give us assets and we find a 3rd team to take Rubio (who also gives us assets), while we get draft picks and then go pick up Teo.

Well, as of right now the Spurs have to cap room. They need to clear the space to sign Hill, Holiday or Lowry.

Yeah, but is going to be super easy for them. They just have to deal Danny Green.

What is the upside of dealing Danny Green on a good contract for Hill on an iffy one. Remember that Green took less money to fit Aldridge in. Danny is the same age as Hill.

Yeah, but they have to clear space and trade out of Rubio to make that happen.

My dream (in the event where Hill says he doesnt want to sign with Utah) is still that Minnesota gets so thirsty to get out of Rubio to get Hill that they give us a S&T where they give us assets and we find a 3rd team to take Rubio (who also gives us assets), while we get draft picks and then go pick up Teo.

I heard today the TWolves may have interest in Rose.

Spurs would never sign Hill to a 4 year/$20 million contract. I sure hope they Jazz don't either, he is not worth that much money.

Hill could go to Toronto if Lowery leaves, SA if they create some space, Minny if they trade Rubio, NY or NJ if they over pay, etc etc

Sent from my VS995 using JazzFanz mobile app

I think Hill has run out of options... I think we offered near max and now he is looking at 4/70. I'd take him at that number all day if Hayward returns.