What's new

Hockey in Utah

Peter Effin' Parker

For the other Utahn's on the board, how are we feeling about the push to get hockey here?

I am all in . . . especially after Ryan Smith mentioned the name Utah Yeti as a possibility. That name kicks ***.

Also, any bets on what gets to SLC first? MLB or NHL?

We had hockey. It's been tried. Not sure what's different now.

We had hockey. It's been tried. Not sure what's different now.

NHL hockey? The highest we've had is the triple A equivalent. Add NHL talent and then watch it in an arena built for hockey with proper site lines. (not a basketball stadium) It will be incredible.

It's brilliant really. Jump on the NHL bandwagon while there is potential funding out there for a hockey specific arena built using Olympic money.

UTAH YETI

watch it in an arena built for hockey with proper site lines. (not a basketball stadium) It will be incredible.
The site lines are the same between basketball and hockey. The LA Kings play in the same arena as the Lakers and Clippers. The Red Wings play where the Pistons play. The Rangers and Knicks share a building. The Toronto Maple Leafs in hockey heaven Canada share a building with the Raptors.

I'm not trying to rain on the idea. I have mad respect for hockey. I had a friend in high school on the hockey team and he knew how to reset dislocated fingers because it happens so often in hockey. Yikes! Like I said, mad respect but I don't think you need a new building to make it happen.

No thanks. No hockey, no baseball, no winter Olympics, no more population increase would please me.

I want less people in the slc area not more.

I agree that the name is cool though.

Sent from my CPH2451 using Tapatalk

NHL hockey? The highest we've had is the triple A equivalent. Add NHL talent and then watch it in an arena built for hockey with proper site lines. (not a basketball stadium) It will be incredible.

It's brilliant really. Jump on the NHL bandwagon while there is potential funding out there for a hockey specific arena built using Olympic money.

UTAH YETI
Eh, we had season tickets to the Golden eagles. That was a lot of fun, I'll admit. But they couldn't maintain the fan-base. Every game we went to was maybe 1/2 full, maybe up to 2/3. Granted we didn't go to every game, but still. Unless they think an NHL team will get fans to move here or something I just can't see it taking off here, at least not any more than the grizzlies.

Last edited:
No thanks. No hockey, no baseball, no winter Olympics, no more population increase would please me.

I want less people in the slc area not more.

I agree that the name is cool though.

Do you think hockey or baseball really has that much of an affect on population? It's more the other way around. The teams coming are a result of the population increasing.

Do you think hockey or baseball really has that much of an affect on population? It's more the other way around. The teams coming are a result of the population increasing.
Much of an effect? No. Some of an effect? Yes

Like if I had the money and/or type of job that made it easy to move and I wanted to move to a place with an NHL or MLB team then maybe I move to SLC instead of Jackson hole or something.

I agree with your last sentence though

The other effect things like this can have is simply more eyeballs on the city.

People might not know how much SLC is growing if they live in Iowa. They see we are getting NHL and MLB and Olympics and think what the hell is going on in SLC and do a little research. See a good economy with job opportunities. Low crime. National parks. Etc

Maybe they weren't even thinking about Utah but they are hockey fans or whatever and hear about SLC getting an NHL team and start to look into the place. Find out it isn't just a bunch of Mormon polygamists eating jello and fry sauce. Find out it's a pretty nice place.

I'm just bah humbug on more people realizing how awesome it is.

All these people are moving here which exasperates the few negatives we do have (drought/lack of water, horrible air).

Eh, we had season tickets to the Golden eagles. That was a lot of fun, I'll admit. But they couldn't maintain the fan-base. Every game we went to was maybe 1/2 full, maybe up to 2/3. Granted we didn't go to every game, but still. Unless they think an NHL team will get fans to move here or something I just can't see it taking off here, at least not any more than the grizzlies.

Bee's games are usually 1/2 full to 3/4 full as well. . . SLC Stars games get like 12 people, where the Jazz sell out every night.

We are talking about the NHL!!! Or Major League Baseball!!! Yeah people don't pack the house to see the Topeka Corn Busters or the Des Moines Mighty Sewer Punchers.

But the Chicago Blackhawks!?!? The New York Rangers!? Pittsburgh Penguins?? Or the ****ing Chicago Cubs coming into town for a 3 game home series? You are smoking crack if you think the fans won't show up for that.

Not to mention the local players that become part of the community and aren't at risk of being called up to the majors as soon as they are any good.

There's a big difference between a minor league team and a major league team. Being mentioned on ESPN every night drives some interest. Look at the Kraken or the Golden Knights. Who would have thought VEGAS could field a Hockey team?

There's a big difference between a minor league team and a major league team. Being mentioned on ESPN every night drives some interest. Look at the Kraken or the Golden Knights. Who would have thought VEGAS could field a Hockey team?
Yeah but you have to ask, why weren't they already there then? It's been talked about for 30 years or more.

I can’t imagine how anyone with half a brain could think that building up Draper is a good idea. The gridlock between 7200 S. And Thanksgiving Pt in Lehi is the worst traffic in the entire state. Far worse than anything headed in or out of downtown. Bangeter and I15 is a mess most of the time. Which exit would even work for a hockey/jazz arena? 134th south? Building a new home for the Jazz, bringing in a new hockey franchise, and building up the prison site with commercial buildings and town homes will just make that area worse, on par with the 405. It’s better focus on improving east and west traffic and build a big park on the prison site. Build more of the commercial crap somewhere else. Keep the sports teams downtown, where all the bars, restaurants, and public transportation are.

Anyone else miss the days when you could go up any of the canyons and enjoy quiet solitude? Anyone else miss the days when there were spaces in between towns?

Last edited: