What's new

House fire

I’m sorry man. I hope the repairs happen soon and everything goes well. When’s the insurance guy coming?
Thanks man, I talked to customer service for the insurance last night and opened a claim, but I haven't heard from the claim agent yet.

Last year, a fire in my neighbor’s yard torched up the side of my garage. The insurance was nightmare. Careful documentation is crucial.
Yuck, that's what I'm most worried about. I've been taking a hell of a lot of pictures and videos of everything, but I hope the insurance company doesn't try to jerk me around too much.

Wow!! As long as you're ok, nothing else really matters, you can rebuild. My Aunt and Uncle got burnt out in some bush fires here years ago. It was an inconvenience but they were alive, others weren't.

Any updates?
Got the fire restoration guys working this week, the smoke smell is way way down, and they've begun cleanup of the porch and the charred back wall. We're probably going to have to wait another week for word from the insurance company on reimbursement.

We've received a ton of support from the community, which I really did not expect. Especially for a fire that all things considered was relatively minor. One of the dealerships in town caught wind of it and made a generous donation, and my friend's coworkers have been awesome making meals for us a few times a week since we don't have use of our kitchen.

Thanks to everyone here for your kind words as well!

Got the fire restoration guys working this week, the smoke smell is way way down, and they've begun cleanup of the porch and the charred back wall. We're probably going to have to wait another week for word from the insurance company on reimbursement.

We've received a ton of support from the community, which I really did not expect. Especially for a fire that all things considered was relatively minor. One of the dealerships in town caught wind of it and made a generous donation, and my friend's coworkers have been awesome making meals for us a few times a week since we don't have use of our kitchen.

Thanks to everyone here for your kind words as well!
That's awesome! I'm 100% convinced that a good chunk of the answer to the "why does God let bad things happen?" question is to give people a chance to step up and do good things for others.

Thanks man, I've always been a charcoal guy but I got that smoker as a gift last summer. I never fully trusted it and now I know why lol.

maybe I missed the post do you now know how and why it started? Was there a short? Was there an issue with grease? I have a neighbor who uses his Traeger almost every week just outside his door. Hmmm.

maybe I missed the post do you now know how and why it started? Was there a short? Was there an issue with grease?
Don't know for sure yet, other than I'm pretty certain it wasn't grease. I had just cleaned and degreased it and was cooking a pretty lean pork loin. My money's on some sort of electrical failure.

Don't know for sure yet, other than I'm pretty certain it wasn't grease. I had just cleaned and degreased it and was cooking a pretty lean pork loin. My money's on some sort of electrical failure.

@bigb had rewired your house, hadn’t he?

@bigb had rewired your house, hadn’t he?
Hey, BigB wired my 240v outlet in my garage that I've used for years for my brew system that I frequently draw about 46 amps on for extended periods. It's a 50 amp max outlet and I'm kind of bending some rules by using it so close to its maximum capacity for sometimes several hours on end and I've had nothing but success. Not only that but I had envisioned a much more costly way of getting the outlet in my garage and he basically saved me money over what I would have spent doing it myself because his solution was so much better. And by better, not just in initial installation, but my brew system runs completely separate from the rest of my house. He explained at the time that most homes have an outside breaker that is 100 amps. Like I said, I use 46 amps for my brew system when its going at full burn. So that would mean I would only have 54 amps left over for the rest of my house had I done things the way I was thinking of doing them. The way it is now I have 50A from the outside panel for my brew system and 100A for everything else in my house. All that and it was a simpler install.

I'm sure that was nothing compared to what BigB does on a normal day to day, but had I gone to some random person I'm sure they would have been more than happy to just do it the way I thought it would have to be done and charge me a lot more and leave me with an inferior end result.

So don't you be besmirching BigBs electrician skills. I just won't stand for it!

Hey, BigB wired my 240v outlet in my garage that I've used for years for my brew system that I frequently draw about 46 amps on for extended periods. It's a 50 amp max outlet and I'm kind of bending some rules by using it so close to its maximum capacity for sometimes several hours on end and I've had nothing but success. Not only that but I had envisioned a much more costly way of getting the outlet in my garage and he basically saved me money over what I would have spent doing it myself because his solution was so much better. And by better, not just in initial installation, but my brew system runs completely separate from the rest of my house. He explained at the time that most homes have an outside breaker that is 100 amps. Like I said, I use 46 amps for my brew system when its going at full burn. So that would mean I would only have 54 amps left over for the rest of my house had I done things the way I was thinking of doing them. The way it is now I have 50A from the outside panel for my brew system and 100A for everything else in my house. All that and it was a simpler install.

I'm sure that was nothing compared to what BigB does on a normal day to day, but had I gone to some random person I'm sure they would have been more than happy to just do it the way I thought it would have to be done and charge me a lot more and leave me with an inferior end result.

So don't you be besmirching BigBs electrician skills. I just won't stand for it!

Shucks, now I’m blushing.

Sent from my iPad using JazzFanz mobile app

@bigb I need you to come down here to CA and put in an RV hookup on my garage. Stat! Got relatives coming in 2 weeks!

Edit: we need some lights installed as well. Hook me up bro!

Last edited:

I had a Traeger that I used frequently and cleaned the entire thing every other cook, which is more than recommended. Anyways, one time right after cleaning I was getting it started, and after a few minutes the darn thing lit up. Flames coming out of it. If you've ever used a Traeger, you know there shouldn't ever be flames. And of course the darn thing was set up just outside my kids' room. I wasn't taking any chances. Unplugged it, cut the wiring off at the base, and tossed it.

Luckily my local hardware store was selling Pit Barrell Cookers for 1/2 off that week, so I could keep on smoking.

Anyways, so sorry about the fire, so glad you're all okay. Good luck with all that is to come, and buy a pit Barrell cooker. So much better than a pellett smoker, just as easy, much cheaper.