What's new

How amazing of a coach was Jerry Sloan? He turned tin cans into gold....

yamers

He made poor players into decent players

He turned decent players into ALL STARS.

Look at Deron MEWilliams with the nets, the guy is one of the most over-paid players in the NBA.

Reading some tweets,
"Kazeem Famuyide ‏@RealLifeKaz 11h
Back in my day Deron Williams was a top tier point guard."

"Frank Isola ‏@FisolaNYDN 11h
Again, what does Deron Williams do out there. Other than getting torched by Kyle Lowry."

"Mel. I think ‏@LayupGod Apr 27
Boozer is one of the most overrated players of this generation. He's still eating off deron williams and jerry sloan pick n rolls"

Next up Carlos "Max Player" Boozer
The Bulls are trying to do anything in their power to unload him from the team asap.

"Free Wayne!!! ‏@tran_Quillity 11h
Deron Williams and Carlos Boozer really *** without Jerry Sloan"

Idk if the same goes for Stockton and Malone, but then again stockton and Malone where both amazing players in their own respect.

It sickens me when I hear that Sloan was feeding off the "ELITE" players that made him look like a great coach. It's even more disappointing that Jerry Sloan was never coach of the year.

Injuries robbed Deron of his skills. Don't forget he and the JAzz were in a long losing skid before the whole Sloan/Williams thing blew up.

As for Boozer, "caveat emptor." He had shown a LONG history of all offense/no defense and being prone to injuries.

But yes, I do agree that Sloan could get the most out of many players. And the Jazz offense was geared towards getting high-percentage shots. Jazz were generally among the leaders in team FG% when Sloan was coach.

Shandon Anderson, John Crotty, Howard Eisley, Blue Edwards, the list goes on and on. He took below average talent, and got the most out of them. Danny Manning's year with the Jazz landed him a decent deal in Dallas when he had no knees.

Adam Keefe
Antoine Carr
Greg Ostertag (sometimes)
Greg Foster
The artist formerly known as Chris Morris
Howard Eisley

Sloan got guys like that to the NBA Finals.

I think Greg Popovich is more impressive though. He rotates personnel like it's no big deal.

Jerry did a few things that drove me nuts. He waited too long to call timeouts, didn't take advantage of bad matchups often and, most of the time, was too strict with his rotations. But it is undeniable that he got the most out of his players. How he managed to win 42 games in 2003 is something I'll never undestand.

The 1988 Jazz pushed the eventual champs (the Lakers) to 7 games, almost winning game 7 in L.A.

Jerry Sloan inherited this team the next season and never repeated that feat in more than 20 years.

The 1988 Jazz pushed the eventual champs (the Lakers) to 7 games, almost winning game 7 in L.A.

Jerry Sloan inherited this team the next season and never repeated that feat in more than 20 years.

Sloan never won the Western Conference or made it to the NBA finals? I honestly did NOT know that.

He made poor players into decent players

He turned decent players into ALL STARS.

Look at Deron MEWilliams with the nets, the guy is one of the most over-paid players in the NBA.

Reading some tweets,
"Kazeem Famuyide ‏@RealLifeKaz 11h
Back in my day Deron Williams was a top tier point guard."

"Frank Isola ‏@FisolaNYDN 11h
Again, what does Deron Williams do out there. Other than getting torched by Kyle Lowry."

"Mel. I think ‏@LayupGod Apr 27
Boozer is one of the most overrated players of this generation. He's still eating off deron williams and jerry sloan pick n rolls"

Next up Carlos "Max Player" Boozer
The Bulls are trying to do anything in their power to unload him from the team asap.

"Free Wayne!!! ‏@tran_Quillity 11h
Deron Williams and Carlos Boozer really *** without Jerry Sloan"

Idk if the same goes for Stockton and Malone, but then again stockton and Malone where both amazing players in their own respect.

It sickens me when I hear that Sloan was feeding off the "ELITE" players that made him look like a great coach. It's even more disappointing that Jerry Sloan was never coach of the year.

Agree but Exum gonna be bawse dog awesome on Dog the Bounty Hunter!!

Add donyell marshall and david benoit to the list

Sloan never won the Western Conference or made it to the NBA finals? I honestly did NOT know that.

Right. Not what I said at all.

.. but I will say that literally hundreds of coaches, given what Sloan had to work with, could have matched his success, IMO. I liked him, but he is over-hyped.

Right. Not what I said at all.

.. but I will say that literally hundreds of coaches, given what Sloan had to work with, could have matched his success, IMO. I liked him, but he is over-hyped.
The way it was stated is that losing in 7 games in the WC finals (to the eventual NBA champs) was the pinnacle of Sloan's success. He did it with someone else's team and never had the same level of success thereafter.

I doubt HUNDREDS of coaches could have won 1200+ games. Agree Sloan was sometimes outcoached in the playoffs. But the Jazz were generally just 1-2 players away from being a complete team. Needed a SG for the longest time, then a consistent SF, then a center after Eaton left. I blame the lack of a title on Larry H. He needed to open up his wallet sooner. Towards the end, he increased payroll, but by then Stockton, Malone and Hornacek were not quite as dominant and the ship had sailed. And, you also have to admit Karl was never actually clutch in the playoffs. He cost Utah a few key games.

The way it was stated is that losing in 7 games in the WC finals (to the eventual NBA champs) was the pinnacle of Sloan's success. He did it with someone else's team and never had the same level of success thereafter.

Fair enough. I'm just trying to say that Frank Layden pushed a historically great (again my opinion) team to the brink of elimination in 1988. It was an extremely competitive series. Jerry Sloan beat some really good teams in the playoffs, but could never match what they did in 1988. The Bulls were the only great team he would ever face. I don't think those two series were nearly as competitive as 1988. For that reason (and by my convoluted way of thinking) 1988 was the closest we ever came to being a championship caliber team. An argument could be made for the two years that MJ was playing baseball.

I doubt HUNDREDS of coaches could have won 1200+ games. Agree Sloan was sometimes outcoached in the playoffs. But the Jazz were generally just 1-2 players away from being a complete team. Needed a SG for the longest time, then a consistent SF, then a center after Eaton left. I blame the lack of a title on Larry H. He needed to open up his wallet sooner. Towards the end, he increased payroll, but by then Stockton, Malone and Hornacek were not quite as dominant and the ship had sailed. And, you also have to admit Karl was never actually clutch in the playoffs. He cost Utah a few key games.

I can't argue with any of that. The "hundreds" thing is just an opinion. No coach in the league had more backing from ownership than Sloan had. He also had Stockton, Malone, and Phil Johnson. That's why I think he had more to work with than most coaches. But Stockton and Malone were usually surrounded by soft players. Not sure if it was a money thing, or just poor selection. Jerry probably isn't blameless for that himself.

The bottom line is that I'm disappointed we didn't get a ring with Stockton and Malone. I hate the fact that they have an asterisk by their names in any discussion about the all-time great players. I think the team plateaued in 1988, so I have a hard time giving Sloan credit for taking them to new heights.