What's new

How should the Jazz use their extra draft picks?

How should the Jazz use their excess of draft picks?

• Trade for a star

Votes: 22 44.9%
  • Move up in the draft

Votes: 11 22.4%
  • Trade for rotation players

Votes: 1 2.0%
  • Use them all to draft players

Votes: 11 22.4%
  • Other (comment below)

Votes: 4 8.2%

• Total voters

SoberasHotRod

The Jazz have more draft picks than roster spots over the next 6 years. They will likely need to find a way to maximize their value in hopefully building a long term championship contender.

What do you think is the best way to use our pick stash? (Obviously we can use them in multiple ways and obviously is very dependent on circumstances, but you have to select one way you think is the most likely best use, which would you pick).

Another related question is how many players is realistic for us to draft in the next 6 years?

I think we could draft maybe 9. If 5 become rotation level players then you have Lauri (hopefully he gets locked in long term), Kessler, Agbaji (maybe), +5 drafted players, + free agents is a lot. So we likely have 6 excessive draft picks to trade with.

Maybe to better answer your question and to address one of your main points: There are enough picks that they almost have to go after veteran/star players/promising young players. I think that’s part of the point.

The way I think of it is the Jazz should be trying to draft/develop another Mitchell/Gobert or two in the next 2-3 years, then have enough assets from trading them to trade for 1-2 more stars. THEN have enough picks/tradable players to churn the end of the roster to keep the payroll under control and maybe hit on more prospects in that churn in the process.

The Jazz are WAY ahead of the curve with the emergence of Lauri and Walker. It’s important to recognize the good but also to not get complacent.

Last edited:
Another related question is how many players is realistic for us to draft in the next 6 years?

I think we could draft maybe 9. If 5 become rotation level players then you have Lauri (hopefully he gets locked in long term), Kessler, Agbaji (maybe), +5 drafted players, + free agents is a lot. So we likely have 6 excessive draft picks to trade with.
This exactly why I'm a proponent of trading up in the draft. I get that it stings to package a bunch of picks. As fans we like to believe that all those future picks will be high value and turn into great assets. But we have such an excess we actually can't roster all those picks. And the 2027 and 2029 Cavs and Wolves picks might be top 5 or top 10 so we should probably keep those. But the 2025 picks and 2027 Lakers pick should be on the table for trades. I'd like to trade up in the draft and hopefully get a young star on a rookie contract with long term control.

But it is a much higher risk than trading for an established star. The problem is I don't think the Jazz are quite ready to trade for an established star. Let's not go all in early like the Cavs and Wolves in regards to getting a star. Let's instead gamble in the draft and hopefully get the next Kawhi Leonard or Jimmy Butler and then go from there.

Also our 3 picks this year should be on the table for trades. After all everybody says there's a big drop off after the top 8. We're at 9,16, and 28. Let's make some moves and get top end talent on a rookie contract with long term control

This exactly why I'm a proponent of trading up in the draft. I get that it stings to package a bunch of picks. As fans we like to believe that all those future picks will be high value and turn into great assets. But we have such an excess we actually can't roster all those picks. And the 2027 and 2029 Cavs and Wolves picks might be top 5 or top 10 so we should probably keep those. But the 2025 picks and 2027 Lakers pick should be on the table for trades. I'd like to trade up in the draft and hopefully get a young star on a rookie contract with long term control.

But it is a much higher risk than trading for an established star. The problem is I don't think the Jazz are quite ready to trade for an established star. Let's not go all in early like the Cavs and Wolves in regards to getting a star. Let's instead gamble in the draft and hopefully get the next Kawhi Leonard or Jimmy Butler and then go from there.

Also our 3 picks this year should be on the table for trades. After all everybody says there's a big drop off after the top 8. We're at 9,16, and 28. Let's make some moves and get top end talent on a rookie contract with long term control
What number do you think Kawhi and Jimmy were drafted at? The next whoever cannot just be decided on and then picked. You have to make your pick and then just get REALLY lucky that they are that kind of player. You can’t trade up and get that player either. All of those superstar players that you are thinking about were littered about in both rounds. Now I agree that statistically speaking better players on average are higher up in the draft, but if you are trading up because you think some player is going to be the next whoever, you are going to fail at least 9/10 times. You said “you have to risk it for the biscuit.” Well, in a sense that is true, but what you are talking about is betting it all on green 00. It is okay to trade up but understand that shouldn’t give too much and the likelihood of you getting a superstar is close to 0.
Personally, I am more of a proponent of keeping all of this years picks because you are more likely to hit or at the very least get a few above average players for your team.

Ok, so I'm just looking at all sides of the trade up scenario, especially trading way up in the draft. One reason why that option is difficult is that it requires uneven talent evaluation by teams, and typically the team trading up would have less information as players often give the greatest access to teams drafting in their range.

What number do you think Kawhi and Jimmy were drafted at? The next whoever cannot just be decided on and then picked. You have to make your pick and then just get REALLY lucky that they are that kind of player. You can’t trade up and get that player either. All of those superstar players that you are thinking about were littered about in both rounds. Now I agree that statistically speaking better players on average are higher up in the draft, but if you are trading up because you think some player is going to be the next whoever, you are going to fail at least 9/10 times. You said “you have to risk it for the biscuit.” Well, in a sense that is true, but what you are talking about is betting it all on green 00. It is okay to trade up but understand that shouldn’t give too much and the likelihood of you getting a superstar is close to 0.
Personally, I am more of a proponent of keeping all of this years picks because you are more likely to hit or at the very least get a few above average players for your team.
I bet when you go to wendover your the person who only bets $5 a hand and gets scared to double down when you have a hard 10 or 11 and the dealer is showing a bust card.

And Kawhi Leonard and Jimmy Butler were drafted 15th and 30th back in 2011. I believe back when wing players were considered tweeners and not nearly as sought after as today. You can't judge where some players were taken over a decade ago in a draft and apply to today when so much as changed and what teams value now than in comparison to then.

And I'm not betting it all on green. I offered one trade example to move up. I through out 5 picks. The jazz have plenty. What are you going to use them for? To draft a team of roleplayers like Jordan Clarkson? Enjoy getting eliminated in the second round every year. I even said I would keep the 2027 and 2029 Cavs and Wolves picks. Those picks probably will be quite valuable.

Due to the abundance of picks the jazz have, yes I would trade some of the lesser value ones to try and move up in the draft and hopefully though not guaranteed get a stud wing player that has the potential to be a top player in the NBA

All of the above… just be opportunistic… if a Kevin Huerter type deal pops up… go for it… if you can trade up on a draft for a guy you target… then do it… if the right star comes available at the right time… go get him cowboy… otherwise use them on players

All of the above… just be opportunistic… if a Kevin Huerter type deal pops up… go for it… if you can trade up on a draft for a guy you target… then do it… if the right star comes available at the right time… go get him cowboy… otherwise use them on players

Yes, of course, but you are playing it wrong. And maybe it's not a fun game so that's fine.

Maybe a better way to phrase the question is what way do you hope or envision our pick stash being used?

It feels like most of the talk has been around using the picks to trade for the next available star, but maybe we are seeing that isn't the best use of those picks after all.

I bet when you go to wendover your the person who only bets $5 a hand and gets scared to double down when you have a hard 10 or 11 and the dealer is showing a bust card.

And Kawhi Leonard and Jimmy Butler were drafted 15th and 30th back in 2011. I believe back when wing players were considered tweeners and not nearly as sought after as today. You can't judge where some players were taken over a decade ago in a draft and apply to today when so much as changed and what teams value now than in comparison to then.

And I'm not betting it all on green. I offered one trade example to move up. I through out 5 picks. The jazz have plenty. What are you going to use them for? To draft a team of roleplayers like Jordan Clarkson? Enjoy getting eliminated in the second round every year. I even said I would keep the 2027 and 2029 Cavs and Wolves picks. Those picks probably will be quite valuable.

Due to the abundance of picks the jazz have, yes I would trade some of the lesser value ones to try and move up in the draft and hopefully though not guaranteed get a stud wing player that has the potential to be a top player in the NBA
I don’t like to flush my money down the drain or my draft picks for that matter. Hey, but don’t worry that lotto ticket is going to hit any day now.

Take the last 5 drafts then, where theory should be more applicable. How does it pan out?

2017 - Celtics trade back to get Tatum, but at the same time Sixers traded up for what they think is a better player. No other player comes close to what you are saying.
2018 - No tweener forwards in the top 9 (maybe Luka but more point guard) 10. Mika’s Bridges, 11. Shai Gilgeous-Alexander 12. Miles Bridges 14. Michael Porter Jr.
2019 - No good tweeners forwards in whole draft.
2020 - Anthony Edward #1 but was pretty consensus so you couldn’t trade up to get and only 6-4. Then nothing until Jaden McDaniels and Desmond Bane at end of first round. Honorable mention, awesome Halliburton goes 12th
2021 - Evan Mobley and Scottie Barnes at 3/4. Both very good but sophomore slumps but time will tell. Don’t think they will be superstars. This is probably the draft closest to what you are thinking. Frank Wagner goes 8th and could end up just as good as them.
2022 - Chet doesn’t even play in first season due to foot. Not good for a skinny C/PF. Jabari Smith Jr. as an average season. Shaedon Sharpe has fantastic season at 7 and that was a scary pick because he didn’t play freshman year.So, they lucked out. Jalen Williams goes 12th and looks like a star. Then a bunch of good players throughout first including Walker Kessler, whom nobody would have guessed would be amazing. So lucked out again.

“Let’s say Brandon Miller is the next Kawhi.”

I don’t like to flush my money down the drain or my draft picks for that matter. Hey, but don’t worry that lotto ticket is going to hit any day now.

Take the last 5 drafts then, where theory should be more applicable. How does it pan out?

2017 - Celtics trade back to get Tatum, but at the same time Sixers traded up for what they think is a better player. No other player comes close to what you are saying.
2018 - No tweener forwards in the top 9 (maybe Luka but more point guard) 10. Mika’s Bridges, 11. Shai Gilgeous-Alexander 12. Miles Bridges 14. Michael Porter Jr.
2019 - No good tweeners forwards in whole draft.
2020 - Anthony Edward #1 but was pretty consensus so you couldn’t trade up to get and only 6-4. Then nothing until Jaden McDaniels and Desmond Bane at end of first round. Honorable mention, awesome Halliburton goes 12th
2021 - Evan Mobley and Scottie Barnes at 3/4. Both very good but sophomore slumps but time will tell. Don’t think they will be superstars. This is probably the draft closest to what you are thinking. Frank Wagner goes 8th and could end up just as good as them.
2022 - Chet doesn’t even play in first season due to foot. Not good for a skinny C/PF. Jabari Smith Jr. as an average season. Shaedon Sharpe has fantastic season at 7 and that was a scary pick because he didn’t play freshman year.So, they lucked out. Jalen Williams goes 12th and looks like a star. Then a bunch of good players throughout first including Walker Kessler, whom nobody would have guessed would be amazing. So lucked out again.

“Let’s say Brandon Miller is the next Kawhi.”
So what's your plan for the all the draft picks? How about you lay your plan out. What picks are you using to draft players what picks are you trading and for what? You want to keep this year's picks right? Through out some names of guys your taking and let's see your roster construction

Simple, draft who you will be enthusiastic about even if you have to trade down or up AND be opportunistic with trades.

There is no one way to do this. If a star is available through trade and it makes sense you do it. Same if it’s for a rotational player. Have to be opportunistic and get out of this mindset that it has to be done one way or that it needs to be done in the most ideal, perfect situation. I would like to draft a superstar with the 60th pick but I wouldn’t let hopes and dreams get in the way of conducting good business elsewhere.