Should he start?

• Yes he should start at PG

Votes: 19 24.7%
  • No he should not start and come off the bench

Votes: 49 63.6%
  • He should start at SG

Votes: 9 11.7%

• Total voters
I'd like to see us compete this season, so having said that, I support a Burke/Burks backcourt to start the season, since I expect that guard lineup to be the most effective. I like Exum as the primary backup to both.

I expect Exum to start at PG by 2015-2016, however.

I wouldn't start him day 1, but I would make sure he immediately gets 20-30 minutes per game and half of that with Hayward and Favors. By the end of the season, minutes increase and maybe he gets moved into the starting lineup depending on trades and performance.

Let's just say Burke really was the reason the offense didn't run much last year as some players and coaches mentioned.

Why would we then want Burke to bring the ball up the floor as has been mentioned here?
Either Burke learns to run, finds his shot, learns to play D, and makes the team better... or we find someone who can.
That person might be Exum.

If he is a great leader but can't ball, we should sign him as an assistant coach or something and move on with our lives.

We need to find this out this year because leadership is nice and all but it's not necessarily an elite NBA skill.
Being faster than 95% of the other guards is an elite NBA skill.

Trey Burke is going to play a lot of minutes for the Utah Jazz this year. He is the only guy on the team that we know can play Point Guard from day 1. As far as conditioning goes, it is going to be a problem this year for Exum. There is not a High School kid (which Exum basically is) that is going to be able to deal with the rigors of a full 82 game NBA season. Playing a handful of games in FIBA is not going to magically prep him for that. To top it off, it appears that he is the primary backup for the 1 and 2 slots (unless Hood is a monster, then you could slide Hayward back to the 2) Exum will get as much time as he is ready for, and much of it will be opposite Burke. This could all change if we land a FA that plays the 2, but if we don't , Exum will be the primary backup for the 1 and 2 for most of the season. Unless you think Burke can play a little off guard. . .

Let's just say Burke really was the reason the offense didn't run much last year as some players and coaches mentioned.

Why would we then want Burke to bring the ball up the floor as has been mentioned here?
Either Burke learns to run, finds his shot, learns to play D, and makes the team better... or we find someone who can.
That person might be Exum.

If he is a great leader but can't ball, we should sign him as an assistant coach or something and move on with our lives.

We need to find this out this year because leadership is nice and all but it's not necessarily an elite NBA skill.
Being faster than 95% of the other guards is an elite NBA skill.

I like Burke as a back up.. unless he can net us more via trade, which I doubt.

Trey Burke is going to play a lot of minutes for the Utah Jazz this year. He is the only guy on the team that we know can play Point Guard from day 1. As far as conditioning goes, it is going to be a problem this year for Exum. There is not a High School kid (which Exum basically is) that is going to be able to deal with the rigors of a full 82 game NBA season. Playing a handful of games in FIBA is not going to magically prep him for that. To top it off, it appears that he is the primary backup for the 1 and 2 slots (unless Hood is a monster, then you could slide Hayward back to the 2) Exum will get as much time as he is ready for, and much of it will be opposite Burke. This could all change if we land a FA that plays the 2, but if we don't , Exum will be the primary backup for the 1 and 2 for most of the season. Unless you think Burke can play a little off guard. . .
No

Then those who think that Exum should start right away need to be looking for a backup 2, because rolling with Ian Clark as the primary backup isn't going to cut it, and Exum isn't going to be strong enough to start at the 1 and play backup minutes at the 2.

Then those who think that Exum should start right away need to be looking for a backup 2, because rolling with Ian Clark as the primary backup isn't going to cut it, and Exum isn't going to be strong enough to start at the 1 and play backup minutes at the 2.
I agree. Clark is crap. My only suggestion is roll with Burke, Hayward and Hood together long enough to get Dante and Burks a rest.

I agree. Clark is crap. My only suggestion is roll with Burke, Hayward and Hood together long enough to get Dante and Burks a rest.

So at what point do you rest Hayward? If you are going to play Hayward and Hood together that would be the opportune time to play Exum. You match him with shooters that would allow him more room to operate in iso. Right now, the game Exum is comfortable playing overlaps a lot with Burks. It won't always be that way, but that is what we are facing.

So at what point do you rest Hayward? If you are going to play Hayward and Hood together that would be the opportune time to play Exum. You match him with shooters that would allow him more room to operate in iso. Right now, the game Exum is comfortable playing overlaps a lot with Burks. It won't always be that way, but that is what we are facing.

gotta play Exum with Hayward and Burke with Burks.

Burke 30/ Exum 18
Burks 30/ Hayward 18
Hayward 18/ Hood 20 / Novak 10
Kanter 30/ Booker 18
Favors 30/ Gobert 18

Burke 30/ Exum 18
Burks 30/ Hayward 18
Kanter 30/ Booker 18
Favors 30/ Gobert 18
That's actually not too bad of a base lineup for this year. I'd love to see them vary the combinations, but I think that they way you laid it out makes a lot of sense unless Dante clearly is playing head and shoulders above Burke. If that happens, then I'd be perfectly happy to see him and Trey switch roles and minutes.

This is a learning year of development and really seeing what the young guys can do. If Snyder feels Dante should be in the starting lineup sooner as opposed to later, they need to do whatever is in the best long-term interests of the team.

That's actually not too bad of a base lineup for this year. I'd love to see them vary the combinations, but I think that they way you laid it out makes a lot of sense unless Dante clearly is playing head and shoulders above Burke. If that happens, then I'd be perfectly happy to see him and Trey switch roles and minutes.

This is a learning year of development and really seeing what the young guys can do. If Snyder feels Dante should be in the starting lineup sooner as opposed to later, they need to do whatever is in the best long-term interests of the team.

except I just realized I totally left out Evans. God damn I wish that kid would learn to hit the 3.

except I just realized I totally left out Evans. God damn I wish that kid would learn to hit the 3.

At least one third of the team can play his position. He will either need to have more flexibility to his game or wait for injuries. Looking at the roster like you laid it out makes it real obvious why we matched on Hayward. . .

Burke 30/ Exum 18
Burks 30/ Hayward 18
Kanter 30/ Booker 18
Favors 30/ Gobert 18

Depending on how things look, I would think we would need more minutes out of Burks and Favors. If Hayward can play 36, then Burks and Favors can/should also be closer to 36.
Not sure who to take the minutes from but it would depend on who is not contributing.

/2cents

Depending on how things look, I would think we would need more minutes out of Burks and Favors. If Hayward can play 36, then Burks and Favors can/should also be closer to 36.
Not sure who to take the minutes from but it would depend on who is not contributing.

/2cents

It's just a framework splitting each position into 30 and 18 minutes. I could see giving Burks more mins but I wouldn't want them to put that many miles on Favors body. 30 min for 82 games is already a lot for a guy Favors size.

Burke 30/ Exum 18
Burks 30/ Hayward 18
Kanter 30/ Booker 18
Favors 30/ Gobert 18

I like the gist of what you are saying, but there is no chance that Novak gets only 10 minutes per game when Snyder wants to spread the floor.

I like the gist of what you are saying, but there is no chance that Novak gets only 10 minutes per game when Snyder wants to spread the floor.

Unless Hood is also shooting 40% from 3 and playing defense better than a cardboard cutout.

Unless Hood is also shooting 40% from 3 and playing defense better than a cardboard cutout.

This

The Jazz have set up their roster so that they can knock anyone down 10 mins that doesn't play D and add 10 for whoever does. Offensively the Jazz are pretty flexible this year. If guys want to play they will have to play D. The guys most at risk of losing mins are Kanter and Burke.