What's new

Ideal weight I'd like to see this years Jazz players come back at.....

Yo [MENTION=840]fishonjazz[/MENTION], if you really wanna see strength gains, lift up and lower down slow.

Some people call it a 5x5x5, but you could do more reps I think. We'll use bench press as he example, but really any/every lift applies. Raise up for 5 seconds, take 5 seconds to lower, do 5 (or more) reps. You'll see better strength gains.
This is a great thing to do, I generally would recommend this for someone who has been lifting for a little while to cycle through. Ecentric stuff can be hard on the joints especially if you have built up to it. There are lots of increasing the time under tension that works well.

Next step from there is complex training which is what I do with most high level athletes. P3 does a lot of this. It take advantage of post activation potentiation. Where you lift something heavy and slow then do something fast and explosive. So you do what you described with bench press and then immediately go into clap push ups.

This is a great thing to do, I generally would recommend this for someone who has been lifting for a little while to cycle through. Ecentric stuff can be hard on the joints especially if you have built up to it. There are lots of increasing the time under tension that works well.

Next step from there is complex training which is what I do with most high level athletes. P3 does a lot of this. It take advantage of post activation potentiation. Where you lift something heavy and slow then do something fast and explosive. So you do what you described with bench press and then immediately go into clap push ups.

"PAP is a phenomenon by which the force exerted by a muscle is increased due to its previous contraction. Post-activation potentiation is a theory that purports that the contractile history of a muscle influences the mechanical performance of subsequent muscle contractions."
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3164001/

So is this mostly a performance focused training method?

"PAP is a phenomenon by which the force exerted by a muscle is increased due to its previous contraction. Post-activation potentiation is a theory that purports that the contractile history of a muscle influences the mechanical performance of subsequent muscle contractions."
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3164001/

So is this mostly a performance focused training method?
Yes, it is either used with complex training like described or to improve an explosive movement. For example I often use it with people training for the combine or a combine like event to get a better vertical. I wrote my thesis on using a heavy deadlift to improve a hand power clean. In those situations you would do the heavy moment and then rest 7 minutes, then you would see the PAP effect.

But in training scenarios you don't rest after the heavy part. You jump right into the explosive movement.

A lot of it is still being researched but anecdotally I have great success with it. That is what P3 is known for and why they became popular with NBA athletes.

It is also used with people trying to build strength and muscle. That's where the complex training comes in, you get more out of your workout in a shorter time.

Well I shouldnt have said pull ups. I don't know what to call them but they are kinds like pull ups except much easier. Basically I'm hanging from a horizontal pipe about 3 or 4 feet off the ground with my heels touching the ground. Then I pull my chest up to the pipe and back down.

I'm gonna try your advice on the lifting.
So when you say a few reps what do you mean? Like 8 reps? How many sets? How many times per week?

I only lift for about 20 minutes per day before work btw.

I'm sure Ron Mexico covered everything, but I'll tell you what I do as a semi-serious on and off weight lifter for the past 20 years.

If you're unconditioned, you'll get the best results by doing a full body workout each session, as opposed to muscle group splits. Whether you're doing full-body or splits, you need to work out these muscle groups each week: Chest (pecs), Back (lats), Thighs (quad and hamstring), and shoulders (delts). Most people also train their arms, calves, and occasionally glutes.

You can find many splits schedules on the internet, so I won't bother with that. I'll give you the full body workout that will give you the best results as an unconditioned body builder.

The goal is to reach muscle failure, NOT JUST FATIGUE, at the end of each set. This is very important. You will do these workouts 3 times a week, each time increasing the number of reps until failure (which you achieve by lowering the weights lifted). You should aim for 6-8 reps on the first day of the week until failure. So if you can do 10 bench presses until you can no longer do 1 more, you're not putting enough weight on. If you can only do 7 until the muscle fails, that's perfect.

So on the first day, you'll do your exercise for 6-8 reps until failure. Then you rest for at least a day (2 days if you like). Then you do the same exercises at 10% less weight, which would allow you to get in a couple more reps. For example, if you're bench pressing 150 lbs on day one, go down to 135 on day 2 of the cycle. Day 3 you decrease it 10% further, going down to 120. You rest, then go back to your 100%, trying to increase the weight a bit (say 5 lbs on each side).

You should do 4 sets each session of the following exercises (all with free weights):

1. Squats.
2. Barbell Bench Press (dumbbell is okay too).
3. Dumbbell Bent-over Rows (don't do pull ups).
4. Barbell shoulder press (or dumbbell).
5. Dead lifts.
6. Machine hamstring curls. Note: some people combine 5 and 6 into one by doing straight-legs dead lifts. But in my experience, that exercise does not achieve proper activation of the hamstring).
7. Bicep curls and calf raises, which are optional.

Remember, to build muscle, you need to be in a caloric surplus. So you don't need to do cardio. If you do do cardio, then you need to make up for the calories. I'd aim for 300 extra calories a day (over baseline). You also need to get 300 grams of protein a day, which is a ton.

Once your body becomes more conditioned and resistant, you'll need to switch to splits. Full body workouts will give you the best result for at least the first 6 months, and probably a bit longer. After that, you can get a lot more creative!

Here's a directory of exercises that I often look at:

http://www.exrx.net/Lists/Directory.html

But that's for the future. Stick to the big ones I mentioned for the time being. I would not bother with kinesthetics on off days, as you're trying to rest the muscle and give it time to recover.

350 ACCORDING TO MY NUTRITIONIST BUT IT WILL BE HARD

One day at a time my man, one day at a time.

Try to eliminate one thing, then another, then another. You want it to be sustainable, so don't eliminate everything at once and then give up in a month. Been there, done that.

You've got this! Keep us updated, there's good support here if you want it.

350 ACCORDING TO MY NUTRITIONIST BUT IT WILL BE HARD

The psychological aspect of what you're experiencing shouldn't be overlooked, imo. In the past, I've found that if I'm experiencing depression, the body can actually shut down a bit, which affects metabolism. Then if you eat in order to pacify loneliness or depression that adds weight, obviously. Things like depression and stress can have an effect even if you manage your diet and exercise. That said, I don't think depression is a bad thing, necessarily. If anything, it means you're observing and paying attention to the world we live in. Exercising and getting moving will have significant psychological benefits, like keeping engaged, overcoming fears, gaining confidence, etc. The mental benefits are as significant as the physical benefits and are linked, imo.

Once you start moving, it's easier to keep going. You'll gain confidence as you go. So as Nike used to say--Just Do It.

One day at a time my man, one day at a time.

Try to eliminate one thing, then another, then another. You want it to be sustainable, so don't eliminate everything at once and then give up in a month. Been there, done that.

You've got this! Keep us updated, there's good support here if you want it.

I'd say one week at a time. To get fit, exercise. To lose weight, count calories and ONLY eat when you are hungry. Burning calories is hard, eating smarter/fewer calories is much easier. Start each meal with a can of green beans, etc. Eat it first before anything else. I have always been able to find a reasonable meal (still tasty) at any sit down restaurant that wouldn't ruin my diet. Even at Cheesecake Factory. Some of their skinny menu choices are amazing and under 600 calories. I love the steak medallions FWIW.

Last year I cut back to 1500-1800 calories a day, and lost 40 lbs in 3 months and 70 lbs in a year with no real changes to my exercise routines. Take a picture of your weight each week (and yourself too). Record your waist and measure it as well. I went from a 38 to a 32. The first couple weeks will give you a good motivational boost once you see the results, and then just build off of that. If you eat correctly, you should be able to maintain a lower calorie diet without feeling hungry. A bag of 94% fat free popcorn is a great low calorie snack between meals.

I made it a competition against myself. Seeing the physical results and numbers on the scale were a big motivator. When you are heavier, you will burn more calories (your body has more mass to support), so it gets harder as you lose weight, but it is also easier to exercise as you slim down.

Make it a process. If you gain weight from time to time, don't stress. And make sure to still cheat on occasion. No point in living if you can't have some pizza or cookies once in a while.