If the Jazz were able to, which of these give players would you prefer the Jazz trade Conley for?

POLL: Which of these five players would you prefer the Jazz parlay Conley for?

• Otto Porter

Votes: 22 46.8%
  • DeAngelo Russell

Votes: 7 14.9%
  • Tobias Harris

Votes: 12 25.5%
  • Kevin Love

Votes: 5 10.6%
  • Al Horford

Votes: 1 2.1%

• Total voters

Ujfanatic

In the history of the NBA, there are very, very few examples of players leading their teams to title contention in their first 6 years in the league. The only recent examples I can think of are Durant/Westbrook/Harden in 2012, LeBron in 2007, and Wade (with Shaq) in 2006. After that, you going back to Magic and Bird.

Donovan may be good enough to do what Durant, LeBron, and Wade did early in their careers but the better money would be on trying to time the team’s title contention aspirations for 3 - 4 years from now. So the question then is, which move sets them up for that in 3-4 years?

Harris fits that timeline if he’s good, but destroys it he doesn’t pan out and the Jazz are saddled with his contract the next four years. Griffin, Love, or Horford (if healthy) could all help Donovan get more playoff experience/success in the short term, which is important, but would then put pressure on the team to find better/younger players to replace them as Donovan enters his prime.

Unless you plan to let Gobert walk, letting Conley’s contract just run out is not a great strategy (unless you hope to re-sign him) because the Jazz will be at/over the cap anyways for the foreseeable future between Mitchell, Gobert, and Bogey. Conley’s expiring may be the last decent trade chip the Jazz will have for a while.

If the Jazz could get Horford and Richardson for Conley’s expiring I would do that in a heartbeat. I think Richardson would be a perfect and affordable long-term fit next to Mitchell and Horford would add great depth. Plus, both play defense. The last year of Horford’s contract isn’t fully guaranteed, so you are only on the hook for the full amount for the next two years, during which the Jazz won’t have any cap space anyways. Doubt Philly makes that move, but I certainly would.

Pastramiking

I would do Love + Sexton/Garland for Conley + #23 pick. Cleveland unloads Loves deal for expiring Conley contract and Utah gets an experienced and improving young lottery PG to pair with Mitchell for the next 5 years and can start now. Cleveland also gets to keep its #5 pick and unloads ones of its overlapping young PGs, as an all 6’1” backcourt is too small even in the modern NBA. Win-win.

Handlogten's Heros

2019 Award Winner
Ben Simmons just made All NBA meaning he gets a slight bump in his max... Philly's salary issues just got 3% worse. If the cap stays the same they will be like $23-25M over even if they fill it out with minimum guys... and it gets even uglier in future years. For a first round and out team...

They might be peak desperation right now.

Ben Wightman

Ben Simmons just made All NBA meaning he gets a slight bump in his max... Philly's salary issues just got 3% worse. If the cap stays the same they will be like $23-25M over even if they fill it out with minimum guys... and it gets even uglier in future years. For a first round and out team...

They might be peak desperation right now.
Who says no? (kinda feel gross now using a Bill Simmons term)

1600357664384.png