What's new

"In retrospect, King won the Williams' trade in a landslide."

Oh, and if you go 9-24 (27%) at home, I think that does classify as pathetic. *Especially when you have a "top 10 player" in the league*

Deron Williams, the NBA’s top point guard, has never played with a core as talented as Joe Johnson, Gerald Wallace and Brook Lopez. However, without much interior defense, the Nets will have to hope they can sneak back into the Howard discussions in January to have a chance of contending for a title.

I think this is a huge overstatement by realgm's power rankings. The core of Boozer, Kirilenko, and Okur is equal if not better than Joe Johnson, Gerald Wallace, and Brook Lopez. It is true that Johnson is the bext backcourt mate that Williams has ever played with by far, but AK, Booz, and Memo were all All-Stars at one point or more. AK is about equal to Wallace and Okur was a better rebounder and scorer than Lopez. Lopez has a better post game, but Utah had Boozer for that. If that core gets Brooklyn to the Eastern Conference Championship, as the Utah core got to the Western Conference Championship, then there might be cause for debate.

I think this is a huge overstatement by realgm's power rankings. The core of Boozer, Kirilenko, and Okur is equal if not better than Joe Johnson, Gerald Wallace, and Brook Lopez. It is true that Johnson is the bext backcourt mate that Williams has ever played with by far, but AK, Booz, and Memo were all All-Stars at one point or more. AK is about equal to Wallace and Okur was a better rebounder and scorer than Lopez. Lopez has a better post game, but Utah had Boozer for that. If that core gets Brooklyn to the Eastern Conference Championship, as the Utah core got to the Western Conference Championship, then there might be cause for debate.

The Nets team is more talented. Brooks Lopez, despite his reboudning defecincies, is still a really good offensive 7' center. Wallace is a better version of all the Jazz cutters and Joe Johnson is more talented than any Jazz player he played with. Humphries is a nice role player with his rebounding and they have a young 6th man in Brooks who is probably better than any 6th man Dwill has played with.

The Jazz core got to the conference finals by beating a Golden State team who wasn't really playoff caliber, they just sneeked in as a 8th seed and had a huge matchup advantage versus Dallas.

Last edited:
Freakazoid, normally I respect what you post. Today is one of the few times that I think you are insane. How can you feel good about an article that claims the New York Knicks with their current talent is the 7th best team in he NBA? I had to keep reading just because the rest of it was laughable and entertaining.

Last edited:
Call me old fashioned, but I generally include all the games when I judge a team. I know this goes against the new trend of only looking at road records, but we won 36 out of 66 games last year (.545), while the mighty road warriors of NJ won a total of 22 out of 66 games (.333). Hope you don't mind if I threw in the 33 home games they played. I know they don't matter as much, but I still thought they should be included. Oh, and if you go 9-24 (27%) at home, I think that does classify as pathetic. *Especially when you have a "top 10 player" in the league*

Nice job of missing the point entirely. The point wasn't that NJ is good. The point was that Utah wasn't all that good, either, and certainly not to the point that fans should be trash talking. When your road record is the same as the GS Warriors, who spent half the year tanking games, you've got a lot of work to do, regardless of how good your home record is. Utah has one of the best HC advantages in the league, so our HC record can be a bit decieving. Road record is a much better indicator of where the team actually is in regards to the rest of the league, and I mentioned this being a big red flag several times before the playoffs. If you have any doubts as to how that turned out, I suggest you go back and re-watch our series with the Spurs.

My intent here isn't to take anything away from our players, as far as doing what it took to make the playoffs, but at the same time, let's not pretend they belonged on the same floor as the Spurs. Like it or not, the Jazz and Nets were closer together than the Jazz and Spurs.

Freakazoid, normally I respect what you post. Today is one of the few times that I think you are insane. How can you feel good about an article that claims the New York Knicks with their current talent is the 7th best team in he NBA? I had to keep reading just because the rest of it was laughable and entertaining.

Did you laugh when he wrote the article about KOC being a genius, and then picked him as exec of the year? That's what I thought. If you choose to wear your homer goggles every time you read something about the NBA, that's your choice, but I like to take them off from time to time, just because somebody needs to be objective around here once in a while.

It's a power ranking. Just because I posted it, doesn't mean I agree with every single pick. Just for kicks, why don't you switch the teams around and put them where you think they should go, and then we can look back when the season is over, and see which one of you is more laughable. Nobody gets these things 100% correct, especially this far before the season starts. The landscape will likely look a whole lot different in a few months.

Last edited:
Trade is win-win, but damn wouldn't it feel good for the Jazz to win it all and D-will signs somewhere else?

Freak jumping the shark in this thread. Backing yourself up with power rankings has got to be a low point on level with quoting bleacher report.

Let's get real. Who's talking trash exactly? The thread is based upon a NJ blog propping up the Deron trade as a landslide win for the Nets. Try to keep that in mind. Fans responding to that kind of thing are not going to be kind to the Nets in return.

Last edited:
Just wait until we use the GS pick to acquire the "Jimmer"! Then it's a landslide who won the trade!!!

Kanter's 20 and hadn't played college basketball the previous year and didn't receive a proper camp - what did the article's writer think was going to happen? 20 and 10? Also, just because Kanter and Favors aren't starting doesn't mean there's a problem - it merely means Utah has a glut of decent 4s and 5s - most teams would love to be in our situation....

It's a power ranking. Just because I posted it, doesn't mean I agree with every single pick. Just for kicks, why don't you switch the teams around and put them where you think they should go, and then we can look back when the season is over, and see which one of you is more laughable. Nobody gets these things 100% correct, especially this far before the season starts. The landscape will likely look a whole lot different in a few months.

I like this challenge. I will post it in he General NBA because I don't feel like having Cy complain about a thread not being Jazz centric enough.

I'm not even sold on the assumption Brooklyn will be better than the Jazz THIS season.

C- Lopez vs. Big Al. Both can score, neither defends. Al is a good rebounder. Lopez coming back from a injury and just signed a huge contract. Al playing for one. Slight Advantage UTAH.
PF - Millsap vs. Humphries. No comment needed. Big advantage Utah
SF- Wallace vs. Marvin Williams. Gerald is on the decline. Shooting percentages last season were pretty close. Slight advantage Nets.
SG - Johnson vs. Hayward. Johnson wins on violume, but again, if you compare shooting %'s, assists and rebounds, they're comparable. Advantage Nets.
PG - Williams vs. Williams. I really like Mo. I hate Deron. But I'm not stupid (despite what you might hear from my wife). Big advantage Utah, I mean Nets.

Startiung lineup: I'll give the Nets a 5-8 pt advantage.

Bench: Favors, Kanter, Burks, Fredette (joking) against Brooks, Bogans and Stackhouse (can you believe he's still in the league?). Marshon is a good prospect, but he's it off the bencdh (unless I missed someone). Utah has a HUGE advantage here, probably more than enough to compensate for a weaker starting 5, at least in the regular season.

Trade is win-win, but damn wouldn't it feel good for the Jazz to win it all and D-will signs somewhere else?

How is this trade a win-win? Nets were in need of rebuilding as much as we were. It's not like one team was rebuilding and one team was established and needed a veteran, so they traded some of their picks for a veteran, which was not critical to the other team. This is a trade when there has to be 1 winner and 1 loser, because Nets are Jazz are in similar position - building a team. Now, I fail to see how we can be a winner. PG is our biggest weakness, we don't have any star players, and the young guys we got play the same position as our best players, who are also not old, and are better than the youngsters. If we kept DWill, we would have had same starters at big positions AND the best PG in the League and a superstar. How in the world was this a win for us? We lost, and we lost big time.

Kanter's 20 and hadn't played college basketball the previous year and didn't receive a proper camp - what did the article's writer think was going to happen? 20 and 10? Also, just because Kanter and Favors aren't starting doesn't mean there's a problem - it merely means Utah has a glut of decent 4s and 5s - most teams would love to be in our situation....

Instead of glut at PF/C, it is better to maintain the starters and also have the best PG in the League to compliment them. No?

Yeah I don't see how the Nets are going to from the lotto to the top of the East. They added Gerald Wallace & Joe Johnson? Decent players sure but enough to completely turn them around?

The Nets dodged a bullet and narrowly avoided disaster, but they got their superstar re-signed. As of right now, they have a sure thing, while Utah has a lot of potential. That doesn't mean that Utah lost, because we're better off than if we had gambled and lost him for nothing, but as of right now, they have a star and we don't. You can try and rationalize all you want, and it's definately possible that we will be much better than them in the future, but it isn't a sure thing by any means.

Too soon to say this for sure, but it's possible. Also, trading Al at the right time to keep the GS pick could have been huge as well.
I wonder how many people will be calling DWill a Superstar after this year. If it looks anything like the last two his contract will be a nightmare to unload.

If we kept DWill, we would have had same starters at big positions AND the best PG in the League and a superstar.

Deron was on his way out the door. I guess we would have been big winners if we had lost him for nothing.

How in the world was this a win for us? We lost, and we lost big time.

It's too soon to really declare anything like this, one way or the other. It's entirely possible we end up with at least one all-star or more + other assets. The Nets are a definite win here, but it's very possible we end up with just as much of a win, if not moreso.

I wonder how many people will be calling DWill a Superstar after this year. If it looks anything like the last two his contract will be a nightmare to unload.

Well I am not exactly ready to call him a bust or not a good player anymore, BUT he is shooting under 40% (450-1130) as a Net and averaging 4 turnovers a game (worst in the NBA). This should probably improve with Lopez back and Joe Johnson & Wallace helping out. But still 39% and 4 TOs a game for 20M a year?

Didn't read previous 6 pages but I had to give my opinion. Nets look like winners now, only because they have created the illusion of success in order to sell tickets in NY. But the ball hasn't even bounced yet. Lets see what happens when Deron gets used to those big checks, and Avery Johnson tries to coach him, and Billy King can't trade Humphries for Kevin Love and Joe Johnson is shooting too much ......then pissy Deron returns and all hell breaks loose.

Of course as a Jazz fan I am more concerned that Favors somehow gets on the court and kanter somehow learns how to jump and play.