What's new

Interesting Al Jefferson/Chris Paul rumor that effects the Jazz

7StraightIsGreat

From Hoopshype:
Sources told ESPNDallas.com that the Minnesota Timberwolves have been urging Dallas to part with Dampier's contract -- and draft considerations -- in exchange for Al Jefferson, who has three years left on his contract at $42 million. The Mavericks, sources said, keep telling the Wolves that they won't surrender Dampier's contract in a Jefferson deal because they have it earmarked for a Pau Gasol-type trade, such as the centerpiece of Dallas' longstanding pursuit of New Orleans point guard Chris Paul.

I found this rumor very interesting for a couple of reasons:

-It really looks like it's going to take more than just a TPE for somebody to secure Al Jefferson, so we can probably put that idea to rest. Although, I'm sure that won't stop some from bashing KOC once Jefferson is moved to another team for assests we simply weren't able to offer.

-but the most interesting part is about Dallas' "longstanding" pursuit of Chris Paul. I hope and pray they find a way to get Paul in Big D. If Deron was ever to leave the Jazz, Dallas would probably be #1 on his wish list, wouldn't it?

That would be something seriously falling in the Jazz favor. If KOC can bolster this roster enough to keep D-Will happy, and Dallas is officially out of the question in 2 years, I think that increases our chances to keep Deron ten fold.

CP3 isn't being traded. the only reason that franchise is worth anything is because he is on the team.

Chad, this isn't directed at you since I think you're just messin around but I've heard a few people say Dwill to the Lakers in the past.

Dwill to the Lakers isn't going to happen. The Jazz would never trade him there so I don't see how he'd be able to sign with the Lakers. They won't have the cap space.

That's the other destination that worries me but not as much as Dallas did. In 2 years Kobe will have a ton of NBA miles on him and be close to 34 years old. Gasol and Odom will be no spring chickens and with Bynum you rarely have 7 footers with chronic knee problems who get healthier as the years go on. Deron's smart and he will realize that he's not really joining the current Laker dynasty as much as he'd be the first piece in an attempt to start a new one.

With LA's ability to lure free agents and spend cash, bolting Utah for the Lakers is still something Deron may do. That's why it's incumbent on our FO to spend the next 2 years turning this roster into something Deron doesn't want to leave. Utah can pay Deron the most money, if he feels like this Utah team can compete going forward, I think he stays put.

Look at the salaries. Lakers would have a team option on Bynum(16M) & Odom(8M) in the same year DWill has a player option. So Lakers decline options on both guys, putting them about 20M+ UNDER the cap. Dwill opts out, signs with LA. LA re-signs Bynum to a more cap friendly deal and Odom for a little less. Totally possible. How does that make you feel?

CP3 isn't being traded. the only reason that franchise is worth anything is because he is on the team. .....

Normally I'd agree with you on this, but the team is in the middle of ownership tranisition, isn't getting the support it needs in Nola, and is currently losing a lot of money. Not to mention, they drafted a PG last year in Collison who has turned out to be a pleasant suprise and may be better than most of us think. Not to mention he may be more durable than CP3 who is starting to show a little bit of durability concerns if you ask me. I don't think it's impossible that they look into moving Paul in a cost-cutting move.

Look at the salaries. Lakers would have a team option on Bynum(16M) & Odom(8M) in the same year DWill has a player option. So Lakers decline options on both guys, putting them about 20M+ UNDER the cap. Dwill opts out, signs with LA. LA re-signs Bynum to a more cap friendly deal and Odom for a little less. Totally possible. How does that make you feel?

How many players are currently on the Lakers roster? How many of them will be on the Lakers roster in 2 years. Until they fill out their roster this year it's unclear what the team could look like in two years. It doesn't make me feel anything different that I did before.

The Jazz FO is one of the better and smarter FO's in the league. I'm not worries about them when it comes down to Dwill.

Why is everyone here so set on Deron leaving the Jazz and going to our rivals? Give it up, stop being so pessimistic.

Dude, because Williams is a winner and he wants to win. The Jazz franchise can barely get Mark Madsen to look in our direction. Unless we can get some talent to allow Williams to compete, why would Williams stay with the Jazz...in Utah...in SLC?

Normally I'd agree with you on this, but the team is in the middle of ownership tranisition, isn't getting the support it needs in Nola, and is currently losing a lot of money. Not to mention, they drafted a PG last year in Collison who has turned out to be a pleasant suprise and may be better than most of us think. Not to mention he may be more durable than CP3 who is starting to show a little bit of durability concerns if you ask me. I don't think it's impossible that they look into moving Paul in a cost-cutting move.

And that's why I think the new owner would want Chris Paul on the team. If he wasn't on the team it would be harder to sale fans on tickets, marketing the team would be a helluva lot harder. CP3 is one of the NBA darlings, I don't see them giving that up. Why make your job harder. NOLA won't be getting anyone as good as CP3 anytime soon. Letting Boozer,Stoudimire & Lee type guys leave franchise wont cripple them like losing a CP3, LeBron or Gr8ness!

Dude, because Williams is a winner and he wants to win. The Jazz franchise can barely get Mark Madsen to look in our direction. Unless we can get some talent to allow Williams to compete, why would Williams stay with the Jazz...in Utah...in SLC?

Cavs fans didn't think LeBron would leave either.

"NOLA won't be getting anyone as good as CP3 anytime soon. Letting Boozer,Stoudimire & Lee type guys leave franchise wont cripple them like losing a CP3, LeBron or Gr8ness! "

CP3 is an Allstar but not a superstar I don't think. He has potential to be one but hasn't been healthy enough. If I were NO and got a "blow me away deal" for him I would do it.

CP3 is an Allstar but not a superstar I don't think. He has potential to be one but hasn't been healthy enough. If I were NO and got a "blow me away deal" for him I would do it.

Just because you think it doesn't mean its true. :p

I would think most people would consider CP3 a superstar. He's one of the most recognizable players in the NBA. People still consider him better than Dwill which is debatable.

CP3 will be traded to the Lakers this year for a future first rounder. We're going to let them sign all of their assistant coaches to 10 day contracts, and use that to satisfy the CBA

From Hoopshype:

-It really looks like it's going to take more than just a TPE for somebody to secure Al Jefferson, so we can probably put that idea to rest. Although, I'm sure that won't stop some from bashing KOC once Jefferson is moved to another team for assets we simply weren't able to offer.

I don't mean to be rude, but I don't understand how you could misunderstand what you just read so badly. That rumor says that the T-Wolves are "urging" the Mavericks to give them Dampier's expiring [and non-guaranteed] contract...meaning Minnesota is NOT looking for significant assets. It's purely a salary dump. Don't believe me? Research Dampier's contract. Teams want it because they can acquire Damp and then cut him without paying his salary. Trading Jefferson for Damp's contract and "draft considerations" is the very definition of a salary dump.

A great player in the NBA. A popular player outside the nba. a marketing tool for the nba. a top player at his position.

Define superstar in your opinion.

Again, why does a team with Kobe or Wade or James need a MAX PG on the team. It's a waste of money. But...oh well.