What's new

Is Hardy such a good coach?

FrenchJazzFa

After 30+ games, i'm still think our coach have a great potential but on my opinion, he should improve in a cpl of ways :

1/ Sitting THT is fine but how do we explain that Gay play a lot ( and play really bad...)
2/ Why let JC shoot so much specially when he is not hot?
3/ Why do not play more the youngs guys ( NAW, Kessler) when we all know Mike and others vets may not be here soon.
4/ Why do not optimize Lauri skill and make him our primary player? I feel sometime that except Mike, other players don't give him the ball enough.

After 30+ games, i'm still think our coach have a great potential but on my opinion, he should improve in a cpl of ways :

1/ Sitting THT is fine but how do we explain that Gay play a lot ( and play really bad...)
3/ Why do not play more the youngs guys ( NAW, Kessler) when we all know Mike and others vets may not be here soon.
4/ Why do not optimize Lauri skill and make him our primary player? I feel sometime that except Mike, other players don't give him the ball enough.
I think Hardy has done a fantastic job. We have a bunch of strong bench players, rotational guys etc who are just playing beautiful ball. Almost everyone under the age of 35 have boosted their career numbers this year. Being barely above the .500 mark surely isn't optimal, but I think we are gonna start sliding up the ranks towards the 6th seed now that our schedule starts to look much more favourable.

1) Despite his other shortcomings... Gay passes the ball. He actually averages 18 passes made and 12 received for the season, so he is definitely keeping the ball moving. He plays within Hardys system. Plus we lack guys who can play 4 effectively (not that Gay is effective at 4, but I dont know who beside KO is or even could be since we dont want to put Lauri there).

2) Hardy cannot control players on court decissions... JC obviously has a green light to drive and that is important since it makes the defense collapse and gives us better outside shots. If he kicked out more he would be even better. JC is not the best decissionmaker, but ever since Sexton got injured, he has been our only legit driving threat. Even outside of his driving threat its hard to bench him since he is a fan favourite and #2 PPG guy.

3) We are playing them. Given THT solid minutes before he started stinking the join, given NAW a solid run ever since. Ochai, Bolmaro, Dok and the others obviously havent shown enough to warrant high attempts. Also our top guys rank pretty low in league for minutes (Lauri 44th, Clarkson 68th, Conley 118th in the league).. so its not like we are giving excessive minutes to the vets. Kessler/Vando timeshare annoys me, but even that is a tough spot for Hardy since he has 2 young guys with upside that are both most effective at the same spot. Notice how Vando played 4 and absolutely no one covered him in the corner in the Cavs game? Mobley lived in the paint on defense, and Vando was spectating the offense.

4) I would love to see more touches for Lauri, but he has been recognized by every opponents scouting and they are trying to keep the ball out of his hands every night (vs Cavs Okoro was like glued to him). Its hard to get him the ball if you are not comfortable making tight window passes. I feel like Mike and KO get him the ball in good positions where he can make plays.. but thats about it. Hoping that when Sexton comes back, we might see some Conley + Sexton minutes and see if that results in Lauri getting more opportunities.

Quite agree with your point. Except point 1. For me , Gay is really bad, Fontechio should get his min. I do hope too that even when Colin will be back, we will still see a lot of NAW. We have 4 good players at PPG and shoud share the min the best way for the youngs to improve.

hardy's amazing. the stuff you brought up might even be valid complaints, but those things make up about .05% of the decisions he makes and the impact he has as a HC. those are the things that are most visible to us as fans, but again, they make up such a small portion of his overall job, it's pretty much negligible to his overall performance.

I think Hardy has done a fantastic job. We have a bunch of strong bench players, rotational guys etc who are just playing beautiful ball. Almost everyone under the age of 35 have boosted their career numbers this year. Being barely above the .500 mark surely isn't optimal, but I think we are gonna start sliding up the ranks towards the 6th seed now that our schedule starts to look much more favourable.

1) Despite his other shortcomings... Gay passes the ball. He actually averages 18 passes made and 12 received for the season, so he is definitely keeping the ball moving. He plays within Hardys system. Plus we lack guys who can play 4 effectively (not that Gay is effective at 4, but I dont know who beside KO is or even could be since we dont want to put Lauri there).

2) Hardy cannot control players on court decissions... JC obviously has a green light to drive and that is important since it makes the defense collapse and gives us better outside shots. If he kicked out more he would be even better. JC is not the best decissionmaker, but ever since Sexton got injured, he has been our only legit driving threat. Even outside of his driving threat its hard to bench him since he is a fan favourite and #2 PPG guy.

3) We are playing them. Given THT solid minutes before he started stinking the join, given NAW a solid run ever since. Ochai, Bolmaro, Dok and the others obviously havent shown enough to warrant high attempts. Also our top guys rank pretty low in league for minutes (Lauri 44th, Clarkson 68th, Conley 118th in the league).. so its not like we are giving excessive minutes to the vets. Kessler/Vando timeshare annoys me, but even that is a tough spot for Hardy since he has 2 young guys with upside that are both most effective at the same spot. Notice how Vando played 4 and absolutely no one covered him in the corner in the Cavs game? Mobley lived in the paint on defense, and Vando was spectating the offense.

4) I would love to see more touches for Lauri, but he has been recognized by every opponents scouting and they are trying to keep the ball out of his hands every night (vs Cavs Okoro was like glued to him). Its hard to get him the ball if you are not comfortable making tight window passes. I feel like Mike and KO get him the ball in good positions where he can make plays.. but thats about it. Hoping that when Sexton comes back, we might see some Conley + Sexton minutes and see if that results in Lauri getting more opportunities.
HermanG, really nice analysis. I tip my hat.

It is way to early to tell what caliber of coach he is. He has had some good moments but also a few of the most head scratching bad moments I have ever seen from a coach.

He's definitely exceeded expectations for a 34 year old first time head coach. Some people only predicted the Jazz to win 20-25 games all season, we're already at 18 wins and we're not even at the halfway point of the season yet. If he's already this good, I'm excited to see him once he has more experience and a few years under his belt.

The job of an NBA head coach looks much simpler from the outside than it is in reality. We don't really know what goes on behind the scenes and what things Hardy has to juggle when making decisions on lineups, playing time and tactics. There's just different kinds of pressure coming from multiple directions.

This isn't the NCAA, where a coach is literally paid to do one thing and one thing only - win by any means necessary, AND they basically have full dictatorial rights to make it happen. An NBA coach is more like a middle manager in that regard. Player egos (and personal career agendas), intra-team dynamics, agent relationships, winning pressures, tanking pressures, entertaining the fans, etc etc... just a lot of stuff on the plate.

Not fouling when we are down and the other team has the ball and there is only 2 seconds between game clock and shot clock at the end of the game was preety poor coaching and something that even a rookie needs to know. And he made the mistake in 2 different games.

Not fouling when we are up three and the other team needs/wants to shoot a 3 to tie is a bad coaching decision imo but that decision is more forgivable because lots of coaches make that stupid decision. Hardy made that decision twice in one game. The first time he chose not to foul they hit the three and sent the game into overtime. The second time they got a decent 3 point look but McCollum luckily missed.

All in all he has been great though and should probably finish top 5-7 in coach of the year.

Danny ainge should win executive of the year for the gobert trade alone.

Sent from my iPad using JazzFanz mobile app

1. Numbers show the defense is a lot better with him in the game. I just wish he’d just choose never to shoot like ever.
2. Coach doesn’t choose who shoots. Lol
3. One. WTH have you been watching? NAW and Kessler play a lot. he plays Conley because he’s trying to win. He’s not worried about next year. That is management’s job. He only cares about winning and as a first time head coach it’s very important to get off to a good start in this day and age of impatience.
4. Markkanen needs to learn to optimize his skill set. He’s not aggressive enough in hunting his shots. He tends to give up too fast and gives up the ball. Hardy can tell him till he’s blue in the face to be aggressive. Markkanen just needs to learn to take the bull by the horns.

Personally I wish he’d lose more. But as far as his coaching chops are concerned he’s already an upper echelon coach in the NBA.

Not fouling when we are down and the other team has the ball and there is only 2 seconds between game clock and shot clock at the end of the game was preety poor coaching and something that even a rookie needs to know. And he made the mistake in 2 different games.

Not fouling when we are up three and the other team needs/wants to shoot a 3 to tie is a bad coaching decision imo but that decision is more forgivable because lots of coaches make that stupid decision. Hardy made that decision twice in one game. The first time he chose not to foul they hit the three and sent the game into overtime. The second time they got a decent 3 point look but McCollum luckily missed.

All in all he has been great though and should probably finish top 5-7 in coach of the year.

Danny ainge should win executive of the year for the gobert trade alone.

Sent from my iPad using JazzFanz mobile app
I think on the 2nd scenario, up 3 and they are hunting for a 3, they are playing the odds by not fouling. It is really pretty rare to get that last-second shot they need, and if you foul them you stop the clock and give them another chance. At least I imagine that is probably part of the logic and why about every coach does that.