What's new

Is team concept play the way to go

This. The team concept is necessary to get you to the big dance. But the top tier players elevate the team in those big moments. That is the difference. That is why money-ball, or team ball the way the Jazz have constructed it for time immemorial will only get you so far. Without the top tier talent you have little chance of advancing when it counts. Even when we arguably had 2 of the top 10 players in the league, easily 2 of the top 20, we ran into the ultimate #1 and another top 20 talent in the Bulls and could not get past that wall. But it took our TWO top 10 players, including an MVP and a top 3 PG of all time to even get us there. Without that, well you see the last few years where that gets you. A couple of lower level top 20 players in Gobert and Mitchell, call them "tier 2" players, and a strong team concept could even get us the best record in the regular season, but with 2 2nd tier players we just couldn't advance. At some point you have to have that guy, or guys, that can elevate their game and take things over when it counts. Without that you have little chance of winning it all.

This is both fair but also somewhat unknown. That is, we don’t know how far the Jazz could’ve gone if Don (and Mike) had remained healthy two years ago. I’d like to think we beat that Clippers team. After that, who knows. Doubt we go past the WCF as we just would’ve gotten exposed in mismatches but never say never.

That Lakers team also had injuries iirc. Malone didn’t play in the finals I thought. Someone else was beat up too I think.

Ehh, I hate that narrative. Detroit won it. The Lakers ran through the West with ZERO issue that year.
No doubt they won it. No doubt the infighting and poor play from the stars on the Lakers contributed. Cannot deny either one.

This is both fair but also somewhat unknown. That is, we don’t know how far the Jazz could’ve gone if Don (and Mike) had remained healthy two years ago. I’d like to think we beat that Clippers team. After that, who knows. Doubt we go past the WCF as we just would’ve gotten exposed in mismatches but never say never.
Sure anything is possible. The question is, how probably is it? In my estimation, not very. Highly unlikely we get past the WCF and if we made the finals doubtful we can pull off the win there, but again, it was possible, and we will just never know. Another in a long string of woulda/coulda/shoulda in Jazz history.

Yeah all you need is two best shooters of all time, one of which is also a top 10 player of all time
IMHO the fit and talent were both pretty well maximized on that team. If you remove the chemistry you have to consider they are not getting the touches in the same places and percentages would take a hit. I think you can remove a lot of single factors on that team and perhaps they don't win in all. Talent matters a lot, but it cannot overcome bad chemistry. The current superteams are both suffering greatly from chemistry issues even though they have the talent part of the equation.

Interesting about pistons is they traded one of NBA's best talent for an undersized center. Grant Hill - ben Wallace. And won it all. They have no top 75 player

This. The team concept is necessary to get you to the big dance. But the top tier players elevate the team in those big moments. That is the difference. That is why money-ball, or team ball the way the Jazz have constructed it for time immemorial will only get you so far. Without the top tier talent you have little chance of advancing when it counts. Even when we arguably had 2 of the top 10 players in the league, easily 2 of the top 20, we ran into the ultimate #1 and another top 20 talent in the Bulls and could not get past that wall. But it took our TWO top 10 players, including an MVP and a top 3 PG of all time to even get us there. Without that, well you see the last few years where that gets you. A couple of lower level top 20 players in Gobert and Mitchell, call them "tier 2" players, and a strong team concept could even get us the best record in the regular season, but with 2 2nd tier players we just couldn't advance. At some point you have to have that guy, or guys, that can elevate their game and take things over when it counts. Without that you have little chance of winning it all.
The thing is that one cannot become a top-10 or top-20 player without actual shown ability in playoffs. Any other option is extremely rare. I would argue that a team-ball team like Jazz might carry the team into the playoffs and someone from the roster might well emerge as a top-tier talent in the tough spot during playoffs.

This is basically something I struggle quite a bit with. It simply seems to be known and a consensus fact that in order to succeed in playoffs one needs to have established stars.

Basically, in most pro-sports, players develop through their careers. I get it, there are limitless amounts of statistics that GM-enthusiast utilize to predict stuff and player trajectories but regardless of all odds, there are a lot of uncertainties at play. The Jazz this season is an unlikely prime example of setting players into places where they can succeed. A certain player's potential simply can be unlocked with the right circumstances and that player might evolve into a star-level player.

As a sports-follower (I wouldn't cathegorize myself as a fan but rather a casual enthusiast) I also have trouble in understanding why all actions should or must be done specifically with the sole aim of targetting for a title. If we really dive deeper into what sports is about, it is mainly entertainment for spectators. In this sence, a teams sole aim should and must not be targetting for the one and only title but instead a team should be competing and giving its best performance each and every season with the given set of players each year. As a proponent of this view it is utterly bewildering to me for any professional sports franchise to in any way concider tanking as a remotely attractive path at any given time. Yes, I do understand that the idea derives from trying to keep the league somewhat competitive by giving poorly performing teams a better shot at more gifted players in the draft. Regardless, it should be shameful to the extreme for any team or sports professional (including GMs) to deliberately attempt to suck in order to winning the tanking race.

Besides being a casual sports enthusiast you guys might have noticed that I am also an idealist. With that comes a firm belief, that by building, developing and coaching and especially by tweeking cicumstances to become favourable for the players, a team could definitely gain big success. May it be that that team possesses home-grown star-level talent or the team plays such a brand of sport that ultimately it turns out to be an attractive destination for such star-level players that find the brand of sport compelling.

In my idealist opinion, as long as one strives for doing things the right way good things happen and tend to accumulate. Eventually, I think its not about the end-goal but rather how one gets there; not the final destination but rather the great and memorable road-trip. Meaning that yeah, a title would be spectacularly fantastic and great but a season where the team has given all it got and then some while playing entertaining brand of basketball can be called succesful from every single angle you look at it.

This Jazz team is such an unlikely group of likable mismatch guys that I am enjoying this ride so much more than I ever anticipated.

Last edited:
As a sports-follower (I wouldn't cathegorize myself as a fan but rather a casual enthusiast) I also have trouble in understanding why all actions should or must be done specifically with the sole aim of targetting for a title. If we really dive deeper into what sports is about, it is mainly entertainment for spectators. In this sence, a teams sole aim should and must not be targetting for the one and only title but instead a team should be competing and giving its best performance each and every season with the given set of players each year. As a proponent of this view it is utterly bewildering to me for any professional sports franchise to in any way concider tanking as a remotely attractive path at any given time. Yes, I do understand that the idea derives from trying to keep the league somewhat competitive by giving poorly performing teams a better shot at more gifted players in the draft. Regardless, it should be shameful to the extreme for any team or sports professional (including GMs) to deliberately attempt to suck in order to winning the tanking race.
For this, we need to keep in mind that the franchise is a business first and foremost. Yeah, with an owner like a Cuban or even Larry H. we will get a more hobbyist approach to the game, but in the end the pluses and minuses matter. And frankly fans flock to winning franchises. They generate money. That is why the league has profit sharing, to balance that out. But the franchises that win will have bigger fan-bases than the ones that don't. And that winning comes in 2 parts: regular season and playoff. The thing is, the bigger driver of growing the fan-base is wins in the post-season, and championships are the biggest driver of all. Chicago was always a larger market, but their fan-base grew exponentially when they had Jordan and even more when they started racking up the rings. Fans, especially mid-level casual fans, want to feel like they are a part of something bigger, something winning. And that is all about the rings. That is what drives the money. So their focus will always be, in the end, on getting the rings.

Now I think the Jazz were on the treadmill for a long time because they believed that this bump in fans and money that would come with a ring was limited, so it made more sense financially to play BITS basketball (Butts In The Seats), where they were successful enough to keep their primary fan-base active, but never risked that by reaching for the rings. This came about after Larry H mostly, because his family really only cared about his legacy and the money, not the rings, not the hobbyist viewpoint.

I think Smith is more like the Cuban and Larry H mold and will do more to rock the boat to get us to the top, that is his dream and his goal, hence the HUGE shakeup this year. He is more the hobbyist. No Miller-run team (post-Larry, and even with Larry somewhat) would make a bold move like that. They played it safe, kept playing BITS basketball and enjoyed watching the team be 60% successful year after year. But most hardened fans, like many of us vocal ones on here, are along for both reasons. We feel committed to the team be it regional or whatever other irrational reason, and we enjoy watching them play, win or lose, but we also want to see the ring. We want to feel like we are part of something winning at the highest level as well. Yeah, like losing your virginity the anticipation is probably way way better than the reality, but we want that experience nonetheless. It is what keeps us coming back.

Without that hope, fans would dwindle off until all you had were people who watched it because it was on, and hey, basketball is kind of fun! But that isn't the fanbase that drives the success of the franchise.

This Jazz team is such an unlikely group of likable mismatch guys that I am enjoying this ride so much more than I ever anticipated.
Cannot agree with this more!