What's new

Is VanVleet really

LogGrad98

Contributor
2020-21 Award Winner
2022 Award Winner
2023 Award Winner
2024 Award Winner
better than Donovan Mitchell? Did you see his line recently?

37 pts
10 reb
10 asst
2 st
1 bl

Even his overall stats

22 pts, 5 reb, 7 assst, 40% from 3 - OBPM 5.0; DBPM +0.3

vs Mitchell

25 pts, 4 reb, 5 asst, 34% from 3 - OBPM 4.4; DBPM -0.4

Should we trade DM for VanVleet?

I was getting on this thread to make the case that Van Fleet's defensive stats this year are likely an outlier, but actually it doesn't look like that's true. At least according to RAPTOR, he has been a positive on both offense and defense each of the last five years except 18-19. Donovan, on the other hand, has been a negative defender each of the last five years except one, his rookie season.

All that said, I still think Donovan is a significantly better player. Van Fleet has not had the responsibility of being a number 1 option each of the last five years.

I wanted to say that Mitchell is definitely a better player than VanVleet. But looking over their statistics VanVleet is really making the most of having no Lowery this year. They're pretty similar in all statistical categories including player efficiency. Still I think Mitchell is a bit better and has a higher ceiling.

FVV is basically Jamal Murray. Your ultimate heatcheck player. But you can't trust him to be the lead man on a championship team. Let him be your secondary or even tertiary guy, providing some firepower when your star is in trouble.

FVV is basically Jamal Murray. Your ultimate heatcheck player. But you can't trust him to be the lead man on a championship team. Let him be your secondary or even tertiary guy, providing some firepower when your star is in trouble.
Nah, that's a terrible analysis on FVV