What's new

Jackpotting Around Podcast: Episode 6 - Tony Jones From The Athletic

Damn, really enjoyed this and the format. Big podcast listener on my commute, but Locke isn't my cup of tea. Sounded very clean and professional (aside from the more hectic final third, but time management will definitely get easier if you stick with it)

Subscribed, hope there's more to come.

(Art): In one of your articles, before the trade deadline for The Athletic, you mentioned that the Jazz could be both sellers and buyers at the trade deadline. I know when it got closer, you were kind of saying they were going to be sellers more likely. But during the morning of the trade deadline, Woj mentioned that we could potentially get better and add more picks at the same time. So it sounded like maybe something was in the works there. Were we in on something that you can talk about or give us any information about? Maybe about trading for better players or anything like that?

(Tony): The Jazz were in on a guy that, I absolutely, 100% cannot say the name, but understand they were in on a guy that if they had made that trade, they would have been a buyer. It was not Dejounte Murray. There were a lot of people who got that wrong. The Jazz never got past an exploratory conversation for Murray. But there was a guy, it would have been a buy, and he was pretty off the grid. He was a really good player, and the Jazz were about, I want to say, about 60, 65% down the road to that, and it just kind of fell apart. There was just a lot of stuff that had to happen. But that was the only buy trade that they were in past, maybe Tuesday. Everything else was kind of a sell mode. But if they had done that trade, it would have been really interesting times, for sure.

(Art): Very interesting.

(Chad): Starter level? Are we talking, like starter level player or, like, higher?

(Tony): I would say that he wasn't a star, but he's better than a starter.

(Art): Okay, we appreciate the little tidbit. That's awesome. Definitely going to start some chatter online about that for sure. People are going to be guessing about who that player is.

(Tony): I can promise you they will never guess the guy and I can't give you any hints on who the guy is for sure. Yeah, they will never guess it. It would have been completely off the grid. Nobody had linked that guy to the Jazz at all. It would have been, like, out of left field, and I knew who it was, and it was kind of like, when I was told who it was, I was like, oh(!), okay. When I was told who it was, it was like, we're trying but this is likely not going to happen, so it doesn't do any good to really report it. But, yeah, there was one trade that they were in that would have been a buy trade, but everything else was, hey, do you want this guy? Or do you want this guy? Do you want this guy?