What's new

Game Thread Jan 13, 2024 07:30PM MT: Jazz vs. Lakers

Added to Calendar: 01-13-24

Takes:

- Clarkson got a couple of really favorable calls in this game. I guess the refs remembered he used to play for the Lakers.

- Last minute change to the game plan or not, we came out look looking soft and slow on D. A long stretch of wins does that to a team sometimes, plus you start to develop a target on your back and other teams get that extra bit of motivation that matters. We'll see it more and more, just have to deal with it.

- Making DLo eat that BS early celebration felt fantastic. Dude is super annoying. He's like Trae and Luka in that you can't even breath on him when he goes around a pick on the perimeter. Always ready to flop like he took a bullet. Reaves is almost as bad these days.

- Olynyk had one of those games where everything he did was either sloppy or inexplicable. I guess it's just the price you pay for the full KO experience. He looked like he was high. Fortunately Hardy recognized early that Kelly didn't have it and sat him down.

- John Collins is taking full advantage of the fact that defenses are not paying any attention to him, with the Jazz having a multitude of weapons. This is a good thing, but let's pump the brakes on the "COLLINS IS BACK!!" thing. He still can't do anything off the dribble, keeps getting blocked and gets caught ball-watching on D. Nice game though, in the absence of Kessler.

- Speaking of Walker... what was that about? He played scared and soft and his body language was suspension-worthy. You just can't get that down on yourself that easily. At this point, it's not just a personality trait anymore, it's a flaw that's hurting both himself and the team. He has to fix it.

- We also saw why Walker may have trouble staying on the floor if/when we make the playoffs. It was a reflex for the Lakers to hack him the second Olynyk made the mistake of giving him the ball under the basket. Through to form, Kessler missed both FT's and that was pretty much the end of his night. I mean... EVERYONE knows the foul is coming. Walker has to anticipate it and go up a LOT stronger. FFS, he's as big as a house. Play your size.

- Doesn't it feel like Keyonte has shot well from the perimater lately? Well, he hasn't. He's 8/29 (28%) over the last 5 games. That's how your eyes lie to you when the team is winning. By and large, he's managed to make the shots when they mattered, but... that's still now great. Happy about his continued development as a facilitator and calm ballhandler, though.

These notes came out a bit more critical than I intended, but overall this was a satisfying win and the direction of the team is great.
I was almost betting on you calling out the defensive gameplan.... but you didnt.

But for Keyonte, instead of harping on the fact that he hasnt played that great lately, you could consider giving him flowers when he actually deserves them. I havent seen much hype about him lately around here, and even as one of the strongest believers I've put the negative spotlight on him a few times, as he has deserved it.

What I dont really understand is why you felt like this is the correct moment to bash the guy?

I was almost betting on you calling out the defensive gameplan.... but you didnt.

But for Keyonte, instead of harping on the fact that he hasnt played that great lately, you could consider giving him flowers when he actually deserves them. I havent seen much hype about him lately around here, and even as one of the strongest believers I've put the negative spotlight on him a few times, as he has deserved it.

What I dont really understand is why you felt like this is the correct moment to bash the guy?
Tremendous Downside living up to his name.

Huh?

I've been one of his cheerleaders lately and have given him props for playing better. I literally wrote in the post right above:

Happy about his continued development as a facilitator and calm ballhandler, though.

I also pointed out he's made clutch shots even if his % isn't good. That's not what I'd call "bashing", LOL. To repeat: Key has been a LOT better during this winning stretch, and I'm particularly impressed by his patience running the PnR. Hasn't looked like a rookie, which is great.

I'm just interested by the tricks our minds sometimes play on us when we watch basketball. During the game I caught myself thinking, "Man, Key has been on fire from the arc lately". Went to check the exact numbers, and realized I couldn't have been more wrong. 28% is bad. It's just interesting... When you're winning, you don't look at the game the same way and the team results "spill over" into how you view individual players and their performances in the moment.

I guess that's only human. But even when the W's keep piling up, it's worth keeping an eye on the currents under the surface. The opposite is equally true, of course. Encouraging developments may take place during losing streaks.

Huh?

I've been one of his cheerleaders lately and have given him props for playing better. I literally wrote in the post right above:

I also pointed out he's made clutch shots even if his % isn't good. That's not what I'd call "bashing", LOL. To repeat: Key has been a LOT better during this winning stretch, and I'm particularly impressed by his patience running the PnR. Hasn't looked like a rookie, which is great.

I'm just interested by the tricks our minds sometimes play on us when we watch basketball. During the game I caught myself thinking, "Man, Key has been on fire from the arc lately". Went to check the exact numbers, and realized I couldn't have been more wrong. 28% is bad. It's just interesting... When you're winning, you don't look at the game the same way and the team results "spill over" into how you view individual players and their performances in the moment.

I guess that's only human. But even when the W's keep piling up, it's worth keeping an eye on the currents under the surface. The opposite is equally true, of course. Encouraging developments may take place during losing streaks.
For whatever reason, I trust his shots in the 4th. I dont know if he actually shoots better there, but it feels like he does. It could also be the fact that Hardy plays the "hot hand", and when Keyonte is cold he rides the pine.

Or then maybe he is one of those guys, who are prone to being a bit casual and sloppy when the crowd/game intensity is low, but when there is a sense of urgency and stress he turns sharper.

For whatever reason, I trust his shots in the 4th. I dont know if he actually shoots better there, but it feels like he does. It could also be the fact that Hardy plays the "hot hand", and when Keyonte is cold he rides the pine.

Or then maybe he is one of those guys, who are prone to being a bit casual and sloppy when the crowd/game intensity is low, but when there is a sense of urgency and stress he turns sharper.
4th quarter he shoots his best % from 3 at 40%. His worst quarter is 3rd at 24%.

Easy to see why some posters get labeled negative when you can take all those words and only fixate on the negatives they say them make a big deal about it

Yeah but some posters don't want that. They only want to acknowledge the negative he says so they continue labeling him that way.
Dude stop being such a hypocrite. This was you 10 days ago:
Brother I have TU on ignore. I dont even read most of his post.
He has made his own reputation, not me or anyone else here. Just like you have made yours. No one here has an "agenda" in trying to trash either one of you two, but you both engage people in a negative way and say dramatic and controversial things.

Dude stop being such a hypocrite. This was you 10 days ago:

He has made his own reputation, not me or anyone else here. Just like you have made yours. No one here has an "agenda" in trying to trash either one of you two, but you both engage people in a negative way and say dramatic and controversial things.
I've taken him off once I saw the change. I let people change.

You just want someone to argue with.

You just want someone to argue with.
If I "wanted someone to argue with", I would have pushed the subject after his lengthy reply. Instead I said this:

That is just discussing.

And this all coming from a guy who has recently multiple times cried about "not being allowed to discuss ball without being called out"...

Yeah, it's kinda live or die at times with JC. He was borderline hijacking the offense at times in 4th, trying to shoot him out from his slump in that game. When his hot and making them, sure, shoot. But he wasn't. Thus was his worst game in last week or two
That may be true to an extent but my comment had more to do with the stars on the team. I watched the LA feed last night and they even referred to him as a walking bucket. He’s known that way throughout the league and the offense has always flowed through him down the stretch of close games since Hardy has been coach. Sure he has been known to take questionable shots but he has the greenest of lights for a reason and undoubtedly one of the best one on one players in the league.

Last edited:
Btw great box for Lauri:
29 points, 9 rebounds (2O/7D), 5 assists (another 5!!), 2 steals and 1 block..... with ZERO turnovers and ZERO personal fouls.
The 29 points was on a really low amount of attempts too iirc

Sent from my CPH2451 using Tapatalk

Important to remember last night was a b2b as well. Hardy managed the minutes well but KO especially didn't seem as sharp. I'm guessing its part of the reason we got off to a sluggish start.
Five weeks ago I wouldn't have enough faith in Hardy to adjust his game plan after a rough patch. Now I'm expecting a win every game. As was mentioned earlier, winning really changes opinions. (Perspectives is probably a better word to use there).