What's new

Game Thread Jan 29, 2021 8:00PM MT: Jazz vs. Mavericks

Added to Calendar: 01-29-21

I didn't see that play but I love that it's the play that stood out to you. The reason I hate game highlights is that they are NOT the game highlights. They are a compilation of the scoring that happened. Plays like the one you describe are how games are won. Deflections, boxing out, diving for a loose ball, setting the screen, moving without the ball even when you never get the ball... this is how games are won when everything else is equal. That's the stuff you don't see in a highlight reel. That's the stuff that make basketball amazing.
This. It bugs me that "highlights" have just turned into "every scoring play" with just about nothing else. I wish someone would put together real highlight reels.

I didn't see that play but I love that it's the play that stood out to you. The reason I hate game highlights is that they are NOT the game highlights. They are a compilation of the scoring that happened. Plays like the one you describe are how games are won. Deflections, boxing out, diving for a loose ball, setting the screen, moving without the ball even when you never get the ball... this is how games are won when everything else is equal. That's the stuff you don't see in a highlight reel. That's the stuff that make basketball amazing.

That's fair point. Also after our first game against the Mavs I saw the "top 10 plays from last night" on the nba website. I was sure there would be something from our game because we had so many absolutely beautiful plays with great ball movement ending in scoring. But nope, it was all from other games: one spectacular pass from Jokic and than dunk, dunk, 3, dunk etc. Really boring in comparison with what Jazz did.

Thank you. Before LeBron got hurt, they were the 4 seed in the West. And that Lakers roster was pretty awful. Before LBJ got there, they were the worst team in the NBA over the 4 years prior. If he doesn't get hurt, they probably win a playoff series. That's an MVP type guy.

I just don't think Dallas is that good. And Doncic is good, but the media overvalues him. All I saw before this game was Doncic hype stuff.

Sent from my SM-G970U using JazzFanz mobile app

The Lakers had the easiest schedule in the NBA to that point that year. They were going to struggle Lebron or no.

We're making good teams look like clowns. Here's to finishing with the 1 seed and having home court. And then we send a band to play outside LeBron's hotel and unlike the Bulls LeBron begins to cry and urges Adam Silver to remove the Jazz from the league.

So mavs got issues. Luka looks a little extra heavy ( he’s never perfectly fit) and I think he doesn’t quite have enough juice to have the whole offense centered around him. I think we are also starting to see these offenses that are so centered on one guy wear on teammates and doesn’t help them be successful unless they are great offball. They needs more and better shooters but I also think they need to rethink things a bit. Zinger just looks awful.

Also... we are really good and seem to be bought in on the beautiful game basketball... we also have guys that can get a bucket in iso... this could get really interesting.

Injuries had some role but it wasn't that big. They weren't able to play 36 minutes of sustainable good basketball even when he was playing. And it was some we are bad, so extended time out for LeBron. He didn't try to come out of injury when he could.

Also last year's Mavs team was the best offensive team ever and this season they went and got defenders who haven't been able to play/get acclimated. KP regressed a ton.

I mean Luka isn't playing great right now, he came out of shape and is and still putting up monster stats with good efficiency. He is the best player on his team by far.

Media values him because he has fans and he generates talk. Irrelevant to how he plays.
LeBron partially tore his groin. His piss poor team collapsed without him. Regardless of schedule, halfway through the year LA was the 4 seed with him and missed the playoffs after he went down. Maybe he could have rushed back to maybe play enough games to maybe be an 8 seed. But have you ever seriously injured your groin? You don't rush that recovery.

Dallas lost again last night despite another great statistical performance by Doncic. They aren't that good and he is overrated (imo). Elite players should do better with average rosters. He isn't on a great team, but he isn't on a bad team either. Being 12th or 13th in the west is unacceptable regardless of how many fans he has.

Last edited:
LeBron partially tore his groin. His piss poor team collapsed without him. Regardless of schedule, halfway through the year LA was the 4 seed with him and missed the playoffs after he went down. Maybe he could have rushed back to maybe play enough games to maybe be an 8 seed. But have you ever seriously injured your groin? You don't rush that recovery.

Dallas lost again last night despite another great statistical performance by Doncic. They aren't that good and he is overrated (imo). Elite players should do better with average rosters. He isn't on a great team, but he isn't on a bad team either. Being 12th or 13th in the west is unacceptable regardless of how many fans he has.

I never said he should rush that but he was coasting a lot more than he does. And he was one the biggest reasons that team did not work. It paid off next season, though.

Dallas will better. They haven't had a full roster in a long time. They had 2 guys that didn't play in a long time starting and missing another starter who was vital for them.

Doncic is leading the league in potential assists. Whenever someone leads the league in potential assists, they usually lead in assists too. Doncic doesn't. He has to play with non-shooters that don't usually play much like James Johnson. It's obvious where the problem is.

You keep bringing fans into this but I agree that they are irrelevant. Most MVP caliber players have huge amounts of fans.