What's new

Jazz acquire Novak from Raptors

He's a serviceable player. That second year is a bit troubling. More than anything, is anyone concerned at all that this organization isn't serious about improving the defense? We know very little about Exum (relatively), Hood was not a defender, and now they're adding a guy that can't defend anybody? I get that the Jazz got an asset or two here, but they're small, and the Jazz will utilize Novak since it's a multi-year (why would you add the years for the mere pittance of a 2nd rounder if you're not going to play him?).

So I rhetorically ask, where are the defensive players?

I'm not too concerned. His role will be so limited the point, in his case at least, is moot.

Beyond that, Quin via DL, has only brought in two other guys to this point, Exum and Hood. Exum has very, very good potential defensively from everything I've read though he'll obviously have to put on some muscle, and Hood seems similarly capable.

And Parker, Manu, Diaw, Belinelli, I'm not sure any of those four guys are or were renowned for their defensive abilities but through proper coaching, they have helped form a solid defensive unit. Obviously having someone like Duncan in the middle helps and maybe, just maybe, Favors will evolve into that guy. All in all though, we have some defensive potential here already. It's Quin. Quin is the key.

He's a serviceable player. That second year is a bit troubling. More than anything, is anyone concerned at all that this organization isn't serious about improving the defense? We know very little about Exum (relatively), Hood was not a defender, and now they're adding a guy that can't defend anybody? I get that the Jazz got an asset or two here, but they're small, and the Jazz will utilize Novak since it's a multi-year (why would you add the years for the mere pittance of a 2nd rounder if you're not going to play him?).

So I rhetorically ask, where are the defensive players?

Hard rep. Been wondering the same thing. As I said earlier in this thread, until we add two defensive pieces, I'm making sure my excitement stays down. If you were to put a guy like Iggy on this team, then I'd get amped. We need to totally change our perimeter defensive demeanor.

He's the token vet. He'll sit on the bench and play limited minutes.

He's was obviously stoked on his payday in TOR. Now he has to uproot and move to a new city, that's much smaller, and still not play. Dude is cruising. This was a GS type deal, salary relief for TOR. Don't expect much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LOL!
Chicago can just amnesty Boozer.

And their notoriously miserly owner would still have to pay him $17+ million. There's a big reason Chicago would still trade him for no salary coming back even if it's not for purely basketball reasons.

The Jazz should be in talks with them and see what it's worth because it is certainly worth something to the ****er that pays the checks.

He's the token vet. He'll sit on the bench and play limited minutes.

He's was obviously stoked on his payday in TOR. Now he has to uproot and move to a new city, that's much smaller, and still not play. Dude is cruising. This was a GS type deal, salary relief for TOR. Don't expect much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

True and truth is you could do a lot worse than him as your 10th man.

I'm not too concerned. His role will be so limited the point, in his case at least, is moot.

Beyond that, Quin via DL, has only brought in two other guys to this point, Exum and Hood. Exum has very, very good potential defensively from everything I've read though he'll obviously have to put on some muscle, and Hood seems similarly capable.

And Parker, Manu, Diaw, Belinelli, I'm not sure any of those four guys are or were renowned for their defensive abilities but through proper coaching, they have helped form a solid defensive unit. Obviously having someone like Duncan in the middle helps and maybe, just maybe, Favors will evolve into that guy.
Like I said, three new players, none of them defensive ones. It's fair to try to glean the priorities in what little we see, it doesn't seem that defense is one of them.

Tangentially, Manu was a superb defender for most of his career and Diaw was once one of the most versatile defensive players in the entire league (also was the most effective defender against Lebron in '13, and still one of their primary defensive players against Lebron in '14). If they're lesser defenders now, its because their bodies betray them. But they HAVE BEEN good defenders in the past, so they can still be effective when placed in a good enough situation (on the best-coached team in NBA history and almost exclusively coming off the bench). Furthermore, they're frequently and historically anchored by one of the best defensive players of all time, and their starting wings are two of the best perimeter defenders in the league (that can shoot, anyway).

There are zero perimeter players on this team who play with defense as a primary calling or think like it either. I'm almost hoping Hayward is out so the Jazz can find some space for a real competitor who knows what defense means and wants to do it. At least Marvin kind of did.

We'll see, but Novak will play unless he's completely worthless now. I'm just not seeing the supposed emphasis on fixing the defense so far this offseason (which is especially troubling since defense is particularly susceptible to a team's culture and the Jazz's is being rehabbed from pure dog-****, you'd hope it was a little more obvious that the team was taking especially focused measures to shore up the problem). I hope I'm just being a loon and not onto something.

Last edited:
Like I said, three new players, none of them defensive ones. It's fair to try to glean the priorities in what little we see, it doesn't seem that defense is one of them.

Tangentially, Manu was a superb defender for most of his career and Diaw was once one of the most versatile defensive players in the entire league. If they're lesser defender now, its because their bodies betray them. But they HAVE BEEN good defenders in the past, so they can still be effective when placed in a good enough situation (on the best-coached team in NBA history and almost exclusively coming off the bench).

We'll see, but Novak will play unless he's completely worthless now. I'm just not seeing the priority here (which is especially troubling since defense is particularly susceptible to a team's culture and the Jazz's is being rehabbed from pure dog-****, you'd hope it was a little more obvious that the team was taking especially focused measures to shore up the problem).

Owning. The. Thread.

And their notoriously miserly owner would still have to pay him $17+ million. There's a big reason Chicago would still trade him for no salary coming back even if it's not for purely basketball reasons.

The Jazz should be in talks with them and see what it's worth because it is certainly worth something to the ****er that pays the checks.

I completely agree with you, but acquiring Boozer would be the fourth new player who can't play defense worth teh ****s.

[size/HUGE] fixed [/size];863718 said:
I completely agree with you, but acquiring Boozer would be the fourth new player who can't play defense worth teh ****s.

True. But they could always buy him out. At least his salary doesn't go into next year (which if the Jazz retain Hayward for almost-assuredly beyond $10 million and if they keep Burks who is better/should get paid more and Kanter who may be in a similar situation, the Jazz are probably done renting out cap-space for half a decade).

I understand that I am looking like something of a lunatic here. That second-year is really bothering me, paired with the fact that he is and always has been one of the most worthless defensive players in the NBA. But maybe he's there as much to help teach shooting to the other guys as anything else (I could actually believe this to be a factor).

Gah. That second ****ing year.

I just want to have a reason to believe that this team really is prioritizing the defense. Something. Anything besides just talking about it. There's not a more crucial time than right now.

I understand that I am looking like something of a lunatic here. That second-year is really bothering me, paired with the fact that he is and always has been one of the most worthless defensive players in the NBA. But maybe he's there as much to help teach shooting to the other guys as anything else (I could actually believe this to be a factor).

I just want to have a reason to believe that this team really is prioritizing the defense. Something. Anything besides just talking about it. There's not a more crucial time than right now.

Well, we didn't bring Corbin back.

**** it. He's an amazing shooter and a nice guy. Cool. Maybe getting to play this season on a non-competitive team will get him some stats and the Jazz can actually net another small asset by trading him (even though their track record on this front isn't terribly impressive [since trading Memo for HUGE salary relief AND a 2nd rounder which is still a miracle to think about]).

I don't think we have a bad roster in terms of defensive abilities. I think its the scheme from Corbin that made us look so bad. His scheme and getting players on the same page. Development in those areas are huge.
To be determined but at the beginning of last year I don't think anyone thought we were going to be one of the worst defensive teams. I would bet we greatly improve next year.

I don't think we have a bad roster in terms of defensive abilities. I think its the scheme from Corbin that made us look so bad. His scheme and getting players on the same page. Development in those areas are huge.
To be determined but at the beginning of last year I don't think anyone thought we were going to be one of the worst defensive teams. I would bet we greatly improve next year.

This is mostly blind hope, IMO. When Gordon Hayward is clearly your best perimeter defender, then you're up ****creek and there's no coach who can do much to save you.

Last edited: