What's new

Jazz Offseason Plan

I wish we could bring prime Jerry Sloan onto our team. JS on this team and we would kill it.

Alright... here’s what I’d try to do.

Sign Rudy Gay with full mini-MLE 3/18
If that doesn’t happen then give Batum the same offer. My worry is his motivation seems to waiver a bit. One of those guys needs to replace Bogey...

Trade Bogey to Dallas for Kleber. Saves 9M and now we can play 5 out when we need to... if that doesn’t work then...

Trade Bogey to Charlotte in a three team deal... hayward to Indy... Turner and Bojan to Charlotte... we get Washington (my preference) or Bridges and take Lamb in the deal. Saves us a few million in salary and helps us play 5 out. I think I prefer this deal to the Dallas one. Lamb is perpetually injured but a good player if he can stay healthy and he is expiring.

Then you see what you can do with Favs... can you get a smaller deal in... can you get a different player type? Saving a few million would really help with the tax.

We have to keep Mike to have any hope so cut salaries around the edges. I think we lose some shooting with Bojan but get better basketball players and can move to 5 out lineups when need be.

Sucks we have to bench our highest paid player at points in the playoffs but there are scenarios where we just have to do it.

If that doesn’t happen then give Batum the same offer. My worry is his motivation seems to waiver a bit. One of those guys needs to replace Bogey...

Trade Bogey to Dallas for Kleber. Saves 9M and now we can play 5 out when we need to... if that doesn’t work then...

Trade Bogey to Charlotte in a three team deal... hayward to Indy... Turner and Bojan to Charlotte... we get Washington (my preference) or Bridges and take Lamb in the deal. Saves us a few million in salary and helps us play 5 out. I think I prefer this deal to the Dallas one. Lamb is perpetually injured but a good player if he can stay healthy and he is expiring.

Then you see what you can do with Favs... can you get a smaller deal in... can you get a different player type? Saving a few million would really help with the tax.

We have to keep Mike to have any hope so cut salaries around the edges. I think we lose some shooting with Bojan but get better basketball players and can move to 5 out lineups when need be.

Sucks we have to bench our highest paid player at points in the playoffs but there are scenarios where we just have to do it.
Probably isnt fair, but Rudy Gay in Utah gives me big Jeff Green in Utah vibes.

Probably isnt fair, but Rudy Gay in Utah gives me big Jeff Green in Utah vibes.
Me too a bit but he’s been good in San Antonio... he also rebounds and is still getting blocks and steals. I think he’s in the same mold and had some disappointing stops in his career but is overall a much better player.

Me too a bit but he’s been good in San Antonio... he also rebounds and is still getting blocks and steals. I think he’s in the same mold and had some disappointing stops in his career but is overall a much better player.
Yeah, but I think SA's offense is a natural fit with him. I just think he's too old to give a 3 year deal at that price. I'd rather do a higher 2 year deal if signing him was a guarantee.

In other summers yes... this summer no. Since the tax is here in a big way I expect we play hardball with Niang... Mike has us over a barrel though. So I’m guessing it’s either like a 3/60M or he walks to ring chase.
Why isn't Niang a candidate for a sign and trade? I think he has pretty good value and I think he's a much easier sign and trade then Conman.

Kyle Anderson is on Jingles timeline. Meaning his deal expires the same time as Jingles. We can go and grab him as the definite Ingles replacement with his money.

Conley can't handle major starter minutes if the Jazz is to resign him. His hamstring just can't be trusted. Slowly bringing him off the bench and start DM at the point would be the long term plan.

Conley can't handle major starter minutes if the Jazz is to resign him. His hamstring just can't be trusted. Slowly bringing him off the bench and start DM at the point would be the long term plan.
But they would be a massive overpay for a backup PG. and seeing how he’s coming off an allstar year, I doubt Conley wants to come back and not start. These guys have egos.

But they would be a massive overpay for a backup PG. and seeing how he’s coming off an allstar year, I doubt Conley wants to come back and not start. These guys have egos.
Sunk cost effect my dude. Conley's trade was the one that Jazz shouldn't have made. But once they pulled the trigger, it's to their best interest to follow it through and hold onto to him.

Yeah, but I think SA's offense is a natural fit with him. I just think he's too old to give a 3 year deal at that price. I'd rather do a higher 2 year deal if signing him was a guarantee.
I'd rather do two years too and would try... but I think he will have offers at the MLE for 1 year at least. Again when I try to do these things I try to give a little more so that I'm not being a homer... anyone can put together a brilliant plan if they are like "just give KD the minimum and have him come here... problems solved". Not saying you are doing that but that's how I frame things in my mind.

Sunk cost effect my dude. Conley's trade was the one that Jazz shouldn't have made. But once they pulled the trigger, it's to their best interest to follow it through and hold onto to him.
Never a fan of this. It’s what gave us too many years of AK47 and Boozer and then too many years of Al Jefferson. It’s better to rip the band aid off and fix the problem.

I’m leaning more and more to rebuilding honestly. Rather than trying to keep this team competitive, it might be better to tank for a few seasons, rebuild, and give it another championship go before Mitchell’s contract is up.

Why isn't Niang a candidate for a sign and trade? I think he has pretty good value and I think he's a much easier sign and trade then Conman.
Because he will get a low number that slides into anyone's exceptions... might be a minimum dude this year.

I appreciate the effort, but couple things I see:

- I'm with Cy - I'm not a big fan of Rudy at that price tag for that length.

- I don't think we should be worried about saving money unless we are having to avoid the hard cap. So the Kleber deal is something I would avoid. He's a lateral move at best.

- I like the 3 team deal concept with Indiana and Charlotte, but I would be either targeting Rozier or dumping Favors in that deal. Charlotte would be clearing Hayward and getting Turner. I think they could afford to take on Favors too with all that cap space. So we trade Bojan and Favors, and get back Lamb, Bridges and scraps.

- If we can do all the above and keep Mike, then we do it.

- And we also sign somebody who can play small ball 5 - Theis, Olynyk, OPJ, Batum

Add Lamb, Bridges, small ball 5 guy
Keep Conley
Lose Bojan and Favors

I'm not blown away, but it could work to improve us.

Rudy Gay is the player that is most similar to Marcus Morris that I can see that is available... and I feel that he is a reasonable target. Marcus was so key to the Clips win... can manufacture a turnaround here and there... spaces the floor and can put it on the floor a bit. Switched really well and stone walled Don a few times. Helped them keep Rudy off the glass on defense as well.

Rudy Gay is not as quick as Marcus laterally and is older... but he's been durable and is a better rebounder. I think he's a guy that would be key to playing 5 out but he also functioned well with a traditional center.

I get that he is old but he's still producing... If we get 80-90% of what he was this year then Mini-MLE is a steal imo.