What's new

Jazz Opening Schedule

Was just looking at the Jazz first six games -- it's brutal. They could lose all six. Every team is a high-ranking playoff team, except Phoenix, who will be playoff contenders -- Dallas twice, the Cavs, Rockets, and Clippers. One positive, four of them are at home. It will be a good test and we will learn if the Jazz are legit. If they can win three games, I think they will have a chance to make the playoffs

Luckily all of the games except 2nd game in Dallas are the opponents second game of a back-to-back.

I'm as excited as anyone about what I'm seeing in the preseason with this team. However there's gonna be a lot of upset and sad jazz fans if they start setting a playoff run is their expectation. It would be wonderful if it happened but realistically we need to be looking for player development and a true competitive nature within the team. Much like we saw in that clipper game last night. If last night was any indication of the true nature of this team then they're on their way to being special or year or two from now. But it's gonna take them this year to learn to be able to do that every night.

Damn, that is brutal

Unless Quinn Snyder has them locked in and that's just how they play. Then a playoff run is coming and we have the coach of the year and possibly two all stars.

This is my vote, but could something like this ever really happen....

Best case:

1. Kanter becomes consistent with his outside shot and makes 3's on a regular basis
2. Exum continues his surprising improvement
3. Booker continues to impress
4. Burks becomes our leading scorer
5. Gobert leads the league in blocks

All those happen and we make the playoffs -- of course, this is mostly fantasy rather than a realistic appraisal. It would be nice if one or more of those things does happen.

Last edited:
I couldn't care less if Kanter starts raining 3's, I just want to see him consistently stick the offensive set and put forth some strong effort on defense.

The good thing about paying Cleveland early is that lbj hasn't really had a chance to settle in and gel with the team.

I am hoping for a season where we surpass expectations (shouldn't be too hard, seeing how there weren't any expectations), but I would be floored if we were seriously in the playoff race. Phoenix won what, 48 freaking games last year and didn't get in. You're going against elite competition every night. Every game matters. A lot of teams in the West want to make a playoff run this season (even some delusional teams that have no chance in hell), and they're all going to come in looking to hammer us. It's brutal. If we were in the East, I'd think maybe we could shoot for a bottom seed.

I've said it before but: I think this team will live or die by the Enes. I don't feel great about that. The rest of our core: Hayward, Favors, Exum, Burks, Gobert, even Booker and Burke, I'm bullish about. Kanter's still got a chance. But it's hard to be optimistic about him at this point. I think Booker and Gobert could pick up a lot of the slack, but they come with their own downside (S P A C I N G).

I think we could end up asking a whole lot out of Booker. Maybe more than is fair.

It'll be a really interesting season. We should know a lot about the future of this team by the end of it. I think that's why I'm so excited and invested in this year. I don't think plan on winning much, but I feel like the games will matter. There are a lot story-lines to be invested in. Whether we win or lose this year almost seems beside the point. After several throw-away seasons , we're finally going to start getting some answers.

im not expecting a playoff run. we could sneak in the bottom of the seeds, but that is mostly irrelevant this year. what i want to see is a team that plays together, has a plan, and shows improvement throughout the year. this is a rebuilding year that we need to see growth from the young guns. next year is when ill expect a playoff run.

I'm as excited as anyone about what I'm seeing in the preseason with this team. However there's gonna be a lot of upset and sad jazz fans if they start setting a playoff run is their expectation. It would be wonderful if it happened but realistically we need to be looking for player development and a true competitive nature within the team. Much like we saw in that clipper game last night. If last night was any indication of the true nature of this team then they're on their way to being special or year or two from now. But it's gonna take them this year to learn to be able to do that every night.
Man, If I see the same team every night that we saw against the Clippers the other night, I will be an extremely happy man. Win, lose or draw.

I am hoping for a season where we surpass expectations (shouldn't be too hard, seeing how there weren't any expectations), but I would be floored if we were seriously in the playoff race. Phoenix won what, 48 freaking games last year and didn't get in. You're going against elite competition every night. Every game matters. A lot of teams in the West want to make a playoff run this season (even some delusional teams that have no chance in hell), and they're all going to come in looking to hammer us. It's brutal. If we were in the East, I'd think maybe we could shoot for a bottom seed.

I've said it before but: I think this team will live or die by the Enes. I don't feel great about that. The rest of our core: Hayward, Favors, Exum, Burks, Gobert, even Booker and Burke, I'm bullish about. Kanter's still got a chance. But it's hard to be optimistic about him at this point. I think Booker and Gobert could pick up a lot of the slack, but they come with their own downside (S P A C I N G).

I think we could end up asking a whole lot out of Booker. Maybe more than is fair.

It'll be a really interesting season. We should know a lot about the future of this team by the end of it. I think that's why I'm so excited and invested in this year. I don't think plan on winning much, but I feel like the games will matter. There are a lot story-lines to be invested in. Whether we win or lose this year almost seems beside the point. After several throw-away seasons , we're finally going to start getting some answers.

repped

I agree that kanter is basically the x-factor. We will need him for that floor spacing to help the offense run (especially to help burks and favors around the hoop)
He NEEDS to play great, not just for himself and his next contract, but also to help the rest of our starting lineup

repped

I agree that kanter is basically the x-factor. We will need him for that floor spacing to help the offense run (especially to help burks and favors around the hoop)
He NEEDS to play great, not just for himself and his next contract, but also to help the rest of our starting lineup

Or maybe just the asset we trade Kanter for--- either works.

Or maybe just the asset we trade Kanter for--- either works.

I mean--we can't resign everyone. And if Gobert continues to develop, I'm much more interested in keeping Burks. Kanter's going to get overpaid anyway because of his position.

I mean--we can't resign everyone. And if Gobert continues to develop, I'm much more interested in keeping Burks. Kanter's going to get overpaid anyway because of his position.
Right now I find myself liking Booker over Kanter. Better range, bad *** attitude, is going to be cheaper. With Gobert's emergence, we don't need Kanter to play any minutes at the 5. And that's part of his game: being a poor-man's Big Al. Maybe Kanter will surprise us all. But I do think he'll be overpaid by someone and Utah needs to set aside money to re-sign Gobert. Rudy is going to get a HUGE (pun intended) offer.