What's new

Jazz Salary Breakdown for 20-21 Season

LoPo

Estimated Salary Cap is $109 million - https://nba.nbcsports.com/2020/06/2...main-roughly-flat-at-109-million-next-season/

Estimated Luxury Tax Line is:
$123 million (according to the article above)
OR
$132 million (if based off the 2019 Luxury Tax Line using the "flat cap" model)

Utah Jazz Salaries (https://www.basketball-reference.com/contracts/UTA.html):
Conley $34.50
Gobert $26.53
Bogdanovic $17.85
Ingles $10.86
O'Neale $8.04
Mitchell $5.20
Davis $5.01
Bradley $3.54
Niang $1.78 (Team Option)
Williams-Goss $1.52 (Team Option)
Oni $1.52 (Team Option)
Tucker $1.52 (Team Option)
TOTAL with options: 12 Players at $117.87
TOTAL without options: $111.53

Estimated salary of #23 pick - $2.3

2019 Breakdown of MLE, RE, and BAE amounts. Not all information applies to this year, but the contract amounts would stay the same under the "flat cap" scenario. https://www.hoopsrumors.com/2019/06/values-of-201920-mid-level-bi-annual-exceptions.html

Based on $109 Salary Cap, these are the exceptions available to us as a non-taxpayer team:

MLE: $9.56 or Room Exception: $4.77 (if we somehow get under the cap by shedding Conley)

BAE: $3.6

We can use the BAE (Bi-Annual-Exception) this year since we couldn't use the BAE in the 2019 offseason. https://www.hoopsrumors.com/2019/07/how-teams-are-using-201920-bi-annual-exceptions.html

If any of this information is incorrect, please let me know and I'll edit the post.

Thanks and Go Jazz

Last edited:
Does Davis have guaranteed money? WOOF

How does a Mitchell extension affect this year's cap? He is signed to the low number for next season for now. Does the extension immediately make his count $35 million against? Never know how that stuff works.

I assume we pick up all those player options except maybe NWG.

Can we use all three of those exceptions? Will we? What are the ramifications cap and luxury tax wise?

Thanks for making this.

Does Davis have guaranteed money? WOOF

How does a Mitchell extension affect this year's cap? He is signed to the low number for next season for now. Does the extension immediately make his count $35 million against? Never know how that stuff works.

I assume we pick up all those player options except maybe NWG.

Can we use all three of those exceptions? Will we? What are the ramifications cap and luxury tax wise?

Thanks for making this.

Yeah buddy. My pleasure.

Davis is guaranteed unfortunately.

Donovan would sign an extension almost exactly the same as Jamal Murray did last year since the cap will stay the same. So Don will only count as $5.2 this year, but balloons to the extension the year after. There are some rules that would effect a midseason trade using Don and how that impacts the finances of a trade, but I don't think that will be something we have to worry about.

Jamal Murray23$4,444,746$29,250,000$31,590,000$33,930,000$36,270,000$38,610,000

I think we pick up Oni and Niang and pass on NWG. Not sure what we do with Tucker. We are over the cap regardless unless we make a trade.

I'm not 100% sure if we can use all 3 exceptions. I believe we can as long as we are under the luxury AND over the cap when the contract is offered. The only way we do that is by trading and renouncing very wisely.

Yeah buddy. My pleasure.

Davis is guaranteed unfortunately.

Donovan would sign an extension almost exactly the same as Jamal Murray did last year since the cap will stay the same. So Don will only count as $5.2 this year, but balloons to the extension the year after. There are some rules that would effect a midseason trade using Don and how that impacts the finances of a trade, but I don't think that will be something we have to worry about.

Jamal Murray23$4,444,746$29,250,000$31,590,000$33,930,000$36,270,000$38,610,000

I think we pick up Oni and Niang and pass on NWG. Not sure what we do with Tucker. We are over the cap regardless unless we make a trade.

I'm not 100% sure if we can use all 3 exceptions. I believe we can as long as we are under the luxury AND over the cap when the contract is offered. The only way we do that is by trading and renouncing very wisely.
We should try to cut some salary to get below the cap. It's just not worth it. We know the championship dream with Mike Conley is over. It's time to look at a different direction

We should try to cut some salary to get below the cap. It's just not worth it. We know the championship dream with Mike Conley is over. It's time to look at a different direction

In a weird way, it's better for us to be slightly over the cap than slightly under. We qualify for more exceptions by being over the cap oddly enough.

It's going to be such a balance to stay under the luxury. If we sign Clarkson to a $10 million deal, we can't do it if we draft at #23 even if we renounce all 4 team option guys.

Ed Davis for anything would be great. He's a player favorite, maybe some strings will be pulled.

Damian Lillard loves Ed Davis. Says he's his favorite teammate ever. Portland has a team option on Trevor Ariza who is set to make $12.8, but Portland could release him owing only $1.8.

If they did that, Portland could then trade us Mario Hezonja for Ed Davis straight up. Hezonja isn't huge for us, but the deal saves us $3.1 million. And with all the injuries Portland has had to their front court (Collins, Nurkic, etc.), they might have incentive to bring in a true big who fit their team so well before.

Does saving $3.1 million do that much for us? It might be enough to keep Oni, Niang, #23 and pay Clarkson around $9 million while staying under the luxury. It's that close.

Man we could do so much with that Conley money. Just makes me sick.

Estimated Salary Cap is $109 million - https://nba.nbcsports.com/2020/06/2...main-roughly-flat-at-109-million-next-season/
Estimated Luxury Tax Line $123 million

Utah Jazz Salaries (https://www.basketball-reference.com/contracts/UTA.html):
Conley $34.50
Gobert $26.53
Bogdanovic $17.85
Ingles $10.86
O'Neale $8.04
Mitchell $5.20
Davis $5.01
Bradley $3.54
Niang $1.78 (Team Option)
Williams-Goss $1.52 (Team Option)
Oni $1.52 (Team Option)
Tucker $1.52 (Team Option)
TOTAL with options: 12 Players at $117.87
TOTAL without options: $111.53

Estimated salary of #23 pick - $2.3

2019 Breakdown of MLE, RE, and BAE amounts. Not all information applies to this year, but the contract amounts would stay the same under the "flat cap" scenario. https://www.hoopsrumors.com/2019/06/values-of-201920-mid-level-bi-annual-exceptions.html

Based on $109 Salary Cap, these are the exceptions available to us as a non-taxpayer team:
MLE: $9.56
Room Exception: $4.77
BAE: $3.6

I'm assuming we can use the BAE (Bi-Annual-Exception) this year since we couldn't use the BAE in the 2019 offseason. https://www.hoopsrumors.com/2019/07/how-teams-are-using-201920-bi-annual-exceptions.html

If any of this information is incorrect, please let me know and I'll edit the post.

Thanks and Go Jazz
Nice breakdown but luxury tax would be at 132M I believe... that's what it was this year.

Nice breakdown but luxury tax would be at 132M I believe... that's what it was this year.

Thanks for bringing that up. I used the number quoted in the article which was $123. However, if they went by last year, that luxury line would be $132. I'll add the possibility of both to the original post.

Thanks

I'm under the impression that the Jazz are willing to be a tax team, but it seems like there's a lot to sort out with the CBA still. It will be interesting to see what the league decides to do

I'm under the impression that the Jazz are willing to be a tax team, but it seems like there's a lot to sort out with the CBA still. It will be interesting to see what the league decides to do
No chance the millers go over the tax limit... their portfolio companies are hemorrhaging cash right now. They're going to be pinching pennies for the next few years mark my words.

No chance the millers go over the tax limit... their portfolio companies are hemorrhaging cash right now. They're going to be pinching pennies for the next few years mark my words.

You are probably right.

If the luxury tax limit is $132, then we could potentially keep Oni, Tucker, Niang, #23, and pay Clarkson around $10 million and be right at the luxury limit. So our offseason addition would be #23 and our offseason loss would be Mudiay.

That's uninspiring....

I don't think this is a fair assumption. 5 years ago this would make sense, but it seems like the trust was set up in a way to keep the Jazz separate from their other businesses. They haven't taken any kind of profit since 2017, they might be set up well to weather this pandemic. Although, I could also be wrong in my interpretation.

if we have a legit chance at championship, then sure. but we're not gonna be a tax team just to barely make the playoff.

if we have a legit chance at championship, then sure. but we're not gonna be a tax team just to barely make the playoff.
They will make the leap next season. Got a lot out of the bubble and the chemistry is now there. Bogdonvic return and Conley playing for another contract are positives.

Need to keep Clarkson if at all possible. He has no agenda which is great.

I don't think this is a fair assumption. 5 years ago this would make sense, but it seems like the trust was set up in a way to keep the Jazz separate from their other businesses. They haven't taken any kind of profit since 2017, they might be set up well to weather this pandemic. Although, I could also be wrong in my interpretation.
Whatever they have in reserve may have covered the loss for this year... maybe... but next year they will take a loss and just because its in a trust doesn't mean they will want to feed it if their other businesses aren't healthy. The auto dealerships may be doing fine and may cover for the entertainment side a bit. They don't seem like they would have a lot of debt so they are likely well equipped to weather the storm... they may not be willing to shell out an additional 20-30M in salary between tax and salary so that we can upgrade our backup center.

When teams say they are willing to go into the tax but generally operate at the low end of the salary cap it means that if Giannis wants to come here we will pay some tax. Not... if we can add some wing depth we will go into the tax.

I would let all of the team options go. I know everyone is earning crumbs, but there are GLeaguers out there as good or better. They didn't earn Quin's confidence to merit playing time, so I say can all of them particularly Niang.