What's new

Jazz Salary Breakdown for 20-21 Season

The question is, if we keep Conley, how much cap space will we have in summer 21 when we are cleared of Conley's 34mil then enter into first year of DM's mega deal?

The question is, if we keep Conley, how much cap space will we have in summer 21 when we are cleared of Conley's 34mil then enter into first year of DM's mega deal?
I'll work it up tomorrow. Hard to know at this point though. Is Gobert re-signed? Does Don start his extension? Does Clarkson sign this year?

Sent from my SM-G970U using JazzFanz mobile app

No chance the millers go over the tax limit... their portfolio companies are hemorrhaging cash right now. They're going to be pinching pennies for the next few years mark my words.

And yet they are rumored to be in play to buy RSL and they just released their director of tickets sales and former vivint exec to return RSL as the interim pres during the sale of RSL?

I suspect they are doing fine.

Reactions: SCS

If we re-sign Gobert, we will almost certainly still be over the cap (depending, of course, on what that cap will be). We will essentially swap Conley’s contract with Mitchell’s and be in the same situation as this year.

Jonathan Tjarks of The Ringer made the point that the Jazz/Mitchell situation is similar to Dame and Portland in that both were drafted into a team that was already being built around another “star” (Hayward; Aldridge) instead of a full rebuild where they were surrounded with other, similar aged/lottery pick players. He noted that as a result Portland has spent Dame’s entire career trying to retool on the fly without having the opportunity (financially or otherwise) to truly build from scratch around him and worried the Jazz were essentially set up to make the same mistake during this crucial stretch of Mitchell’s career.

Up until the previous off season the Jazz has given themselves the option to do just that and have maximum cap flexibility for 2021. They essentially would have had no major contracts, with Conley, Gobert, and Ingles all set to expire. That strategy would have involved not extending Mitchell this summer and instead re-signing him as a restricted FA in 2021 and risk having Gobert enter into unrestricted FA. I think they “played it safe” instead and signed Bogey (who I really like but is definitely older then you would like for Mitchell’s timeline) and extended O’Neale and Ingles. By extending Mitchell now the Jazz are formally giving up on 2021 cap space. I do think locking Mitchell in now is the right strategy, certainly given They have already made those other decisions, but do worry about the team ever having the flexibility to now effectively build around him.

If we re-sign Gobert, we will almost certainly still be over the cap (depending, of course, on what that cap will be). We will essentially swap Conley’s contract with Mitchell’s and be in the same situation as this year.

Jonathan Tjarks of The Ringer made the point that the Jazz/Mitchell situation is similar to Dame and Portland in that both were drafted into a team that was already being built around another “star” (Hayward; Aldridge) instead of a full rebuild where they were surrounded with other, similar aged/lottery pick players. He noted that as a result Portland has spent Dame’s entire career trying to retool on the fly without having the opportunity (financially or otherwise) to truly build from scratch around him and worried the Jazz were essentially set up to make the same mistake during this crucial stretch of Mitchell’s career.

Up until the previous off season the Jazz has given themselves the option to do just that and have maximum cap flexibility for 2021. They essentially would have had no major contracts, with Conley, Gobert, and Ingles all set to expire. That strategy would have involved not extending Mitchell this summer and instead re-signing him as a restricted FA in 2021 and risk having Gobert enter into unrestricted FA. I think they “played it safe” instead and signed Bogey (who I really like but is definitely older then you would like for Mitchell’s timeline) and extended O’Neale and Ingles. By extending Mitchell now the Jazz are formally giving up on 2021 cap space. I do think locking Mitchell in now is the right strategy, certainly given They have already made those other decisions, but do worry about the team ever having the flexibility to now effectively build around him.
This is a valid concern... we don’t really get FAs though so not like that capspace is getting something better than Rudy or Bogey. Had we landed Brogdon instead of Conley we’d have more guys on the same timeline.

My thought is basically we can stay the course and be a 50-55 win that makes it to the second round a handful of times... or we do a hard pivot and trade Rudy and really do a full renovation. It is likely that we are worse though... but it gives us a chance at increasing the teams ceiling... it’s only a small chance though. And then I think... well what are the chances at hitting big in the draft in the late first... better than possibly improving with the trade stuff we get for Rudy? IDK... but I promise the front office won’t go the full renovation route unless Rudy forces their hand by not signing his extension.

I just have my concerns that Rudy never puts his full impact on a playoff series. He’s still fine there but not like the regular season.

This is a valid concern... we don’t really get FAs though so not like that capspace is getting something better than Rudy or Bogey. Had we landed Brogdon instead of Conley we’d have more guys on the same timeline.

My thought is basically we can stay the course and be a 50-55 win that makes it to the second round a handful of times... or we do a hard pivot and trade Rudy and really do a full renovation. It is likely that we are worse though... but it gives us a chance at increasing the teams ceiling... it’s only a small chance though. And then I think... well what are the chances at hitting big in the draft in the late first... better than possibly improving with the trade stuff we get for Rudy? IDK... but I promise the front office won’t go the full renovation route unless Rudy forces their hand by not signing his extension.

I just have my concerns that Rudy never puts his full impact on a playoff series. He’s still fine there but not like the regular season.
Or we can keep Rudy while doing a 97Spurs, 04 Suns, and this year's Warriors type of one-season-only reboot. Get rid of Niang, Bradley, NWG, Ed and players that we now have known well enough, in exchange for players of the highest physical upside possible from the draft/international market. Then spend a whole season teaching them NBA basketball. The goal is to develop a NBA caliber dynamic wing who can help take our current roster to the next level, given we know how difficult it is to acquire a fully developed wing from trade or FA. But to do this we will have to spend a season.

Lower next seasons expectation from 50win to 40win or less. Accept the fact that we may not make the playoff next season. But hopefully by the end of season we may have a Jerami Grant/OPJ/Covington type of 3nD dynamic wing on a cheap deal and expect better things in 2021.

U
I'd hate to see Oni go
He has potential, but if you let these guys go it opens up options for JWF and Brantley. Oni had some good games down on the farm and some where he was just awful. Would you rather have the option guys or Jack Cooley, Bryce Cotton or Elijiah Millsap? The latter were deemed not worthy by Quin and they went overseas. My point is the GLeague is filled with guys who have the talent of the option guys.

No chance the millers go over the tax limit... their portfolio companies are hemorrhaging cash right now. They're going to be pinching pennies for the next few years mark my words.

Tony Jones has said otherwise countless times.

This is simply not the case.

And yet they are rumored to be in play to buy RSL and they just released their director of tickets sales and former vivint exec to return RSL as the interim pres during the sale of RSL?

I suspect they are doing fine.

They are. Jazz fans have always taken their skepticism to the extreme on the topic of the Jazz willingness to spend. Sure, they haven't ever paid the tax. But when in the past was it logical to do so?

They've paid the tax twice, back in the DWill-Boozer era. Second time was actually to bring in Al Jefferson after Boozer left; they were afraid of making Williams mad.

Just heard the priority is to keep everyone and run it back for next season. If that is the case, the conversation would be IF we can make the playoff next season as I don't see players of Ingles/Conley’s age as the 90% of the players they were the season before

Just heard the priority is to keep everyone and run it back for next season. If that is the case, the conversation would be IF we can make the playoff next season as I don't see players of Ingles/Conley’s age as the 90% of the players they were the season before
God no!

They are. Jazz fans have always taken their skepticism to the extreme on the topic of the Jazz willingness to spend. Sure, they haven't ever paid the tax. But when in the past was it logical to do so?
Not sure when it makes sense but during the hayward years we had plenty of opportunities to improve the team and operated at the salary floor almost every year... Like we had one of the lowest payrolls every year for multiple years... so please understand it isn't just unfounded skepticism.

You can say whatever sounds good but when it comes time to cut the check we have balked.

No one here really expected otherwise right? I know I didn't.

There is a case that we were really good second half of the year so you plug up an obvious rotation hole or two and maybe you good. The starters weren't really the problem in the playoffs....

The big issue is almost every western conference team will be better next year. I think OKC goes full re-build... it makes so much sense for them to do it this year. Every other team should be better... some much better.

No one here really expected otherwise right? I know I didn't.

There is a case that we were really good second half of the year so you plug up an obvious rotation hole or two and maybe you good. The starters weren't really the problem in the playoffs....

The big issue is almost every western conference team will be better next year. I think OKC goes full re-build... it makes so much sense for them to do it this year. Every other team should be better... some much better.
Lakers(if they keep Davis)
Clippers
Nuggets
Thunder(CP3 will regress but they've got other young players that will improve and fill the gap)
Rockets
Warriors(Klay+Steph ain't missing the playoff)
then Mavs(less certain with Prozingis injury, but the league will do all it can to push Doncic to become the face of this league).
That is 7 playoffs spots already taken.

That's left us, Blazers, Suns(the bubble champ), Pels and T'wolves in the race for the final playoffs spot. As long as Conley/Ingles regress as expected of the players in their age and Bojan takes his time to get back to 100%, it's hard to see us as the favorite if we just stand pat. SOMETHING needs to be done either this offseason or next midseason.

Clippers
Nuggets
Thunder(CP3 will regress but they've got other young players that will improve and fill the gap)
Rockets
then Mavs(less certain with Prozingis injury, but the league will do all it can to push Doncic to become the face of this league).

That's left us, Blazers, Suns(the bubble champ), Pels and T'wolves in the race for the final playoffs spot. As long as Conley/Ingles regress as expected of the players in their age and Bojan takes his time to get back to 100%, it's hard to see us as the favorite if we just stand pat. SOMETHING needs to be done either this offseason or next midseason.
OKC will almost surely rebuild... there are already some whispers they will move on from CP3. They won't retain Gallo. They need some additional top tier talent and have a bajillion solid first round picks coming... add in some high picks and they are gold.

Gallo ain't coming back and they can cash out CP and Adams while they are still intact. Best time to tank is when no one else in your conference is tanking.

I would rather run it back, use the MLE and maybe even re-sign Clarkson too than extend Gobert to a major deal.

If we think this year is bad, just think about the frustration of paying Don and Rudy so much that we dont even have a Conley too. We would be so incredibly thin if Don and Rudy were making $60+ and the cap was staying flat.

Don is a max player. Rudy is not.

Sent from my SM-G970U using JazzFanz mobile app

Clippers
Nuggets
Rockets

Billy Donovan and the Thunder just mutually parted ways btw... because they couldn't give him an answer on the direction of the franchise... basically he said he didn't want to be Brett Brown and they told him they weren't running it back. Presti will sell high on all his pieces and put the team through a quick version of the process.