What's new

Jazz Scrimmage Thread

Yep.
I thought it was a shot at first and I was like wtf

Nice play by both of them.

I thought the sick kid was awesome btw.

Most kids that age would get horrible stage fright and probably freeze up or cry.
That kid was great

It was really touching!!

My wife is into Yoga and she was really impressed by Rudy Gobert when they were stretching. She said he is the most limber of any of the Jazz players for what that is worth..:) I was surprised how much stronger Alec Burks looked last night. I hope he has an awesome year.

And breathes really hard. We were sitting close and he was the one guy you could actually see fighting for air out there. I think that was something that really stood out being close - you would look around at the other players, most standing up straight, some bent over grabbing their pants, but Exum the only one who you could actually see huffing and puffing.

That's very interesting. I wonder if he is still acclimating to the altitude (melbourne (lived most of his life) --> 100ft above sl, LA (where he trained/lived for nearly a year after moving to the states --> 230ft above sl) to SLC ~4,300ft above sl)

That's the only thing i can think of.

That's very interesting. I wonder if he is still acclimating to the altitude (melbourne (lived most of his life) --> 100ft above sl, LA (where he trained/lived for nearly a year after moving to the states --> 230ft above sl) to SLC ~4,300ft above sl)

That's the only thing i can think of.

That would definitely not help, they've also had some pretty rough practices so it seems.

That would definitely not help, they've also had some pretty rough practices so it seems.

Then shouldn't Motum be showing signs as well. I am sure the alititude helps but looks like Exum simply has some conditioning work to do.

Watched the scrimmage yesterday.

We are going to have some problems while learning and adjusting to the new offensive system. You can see the effort to implement flow with constant movement and passes, but in a lot of situations the flow just broke and players deferred to old habits. I couldn't help but notice the horrible spacing in some situation where players were confused about who is supposed to move to the other wing, or who of the bigs is supposed to get out of the paint and set the screen. Individually:

1. Excited about Burks, I was not as high on him as most Jazz fans, but damn could he be awesome this season. He's on the verge of a breakout year and if we are to judge from the little we've seen, he's in great shape, seems to have added some muscle and looks very confident on the floor.
2. Gobert! Underrated passer. I think it comes mainly because he has trouble keeping the ball in his hands(people usually knock it off easily if it's in his hands too long). If he manages to keep it, though, it seems like he has good instincts for the pass.
3. Kanter... took a really long 2. I'd rather him not... Really! Either get to the 3pt line or don't shoot 20-21 footers, PLEASE! This is the worst shot a big who's trying to establish long range game can take. This is the worst type of shots anyone can take really and that's well supported by statistics - even for good shooters the long 2 is the most inefficient shot.
4. Favors! Post moves? Up and under? Damn, if he can add that to his game and uses it consistently and successfully, sprinkle in some hooks and power moves ... he can actually become a threat in the offensive game, too. Looked really comfortable on the floor as well.
5. Trey Burke - I actually liked what I saw, abused Dante's lack of physical strength, by simple use of screens, finished 1 himself, made a great play for a Booker layup.
6. Dante - damn, that shot needs improvement! He still looked timid on the offensive end to me. On defense I like his lateral movement and his length and size will cause problems to a lot of point guards from day 1. The problem is - again, strength and experience. As I said above - even simple screens put him on the floor or in serious positional disadvantage to his man and that creates bad problems for the whole team defensively - Trey blew past him several times just by using the simplest of screens, he needs better awareness and technique for avoiding or getting past screens.
7. Brock Motum - I think from the people fighting for a roster spot he had the best game, he's just all around solid, nothing flashy, but he just does the little things well, he has some range on his shot... too bad our front court is somewhat stacked(Kanter, Favors, Gobert, Booker, Novak, Evans). Would we take a 7th big? I don't know...

Anyways, can't wait for first game today.

Reactions: ema
Then shouldn't Motum be showing signs as well. I am sure the alititude helps but looks like Exum simply has some conditioning work to do.

Motum spent 4 years in Washington playing college basketball, not the same as Utah elevation, but I'm sure he has experience playing in Colorado/Utah plenty of times throughout his college career.

I'm interested to see how this new double high screen, pass to the wing, who in one option reverses right back into pnr with one of the original screeners, while the other big often pops out to the 3 point line. Lots of options on the play already, with one evolving the other way into DHO at the elbow.

Motum spent 4 years in Washington playing college basketball, not the same as Utah elevation, but I'm sure he has experience playing in Colorado/Utah plenty of times throughout his college career.

Well there you have it.

I was impressed with Motum. He has a funky shot, but he seems accurate with it. He hustles, rebounds well, and runs the court well. He made a three and I saw Quin nudge Randy Rigby and they both smiled. Could mean nothing, but I think Quin likes him. FYI, it only takes your body 48 to 72 hours to adjust to elevation. Exum just looked gassed and out of shape. He looked like he never had control of his body on any of his shot and he was easily screened. On the bright side, I was impressed with his length and height. Seeing him next to Gordon, he was just slightly shorter.

I'm interested to see how this new double high screen, pass to the wing, who in one option reverses right back into pnr with one of the original screeners, while the other big often pops out to the 3 point line. Lots of options on the play already, with one evolving the other way into DHO at the elbow.

Passing to the big then sprinting to initiate pnr-like action looks good, for pace, throwing different looks, and taking away a lot of the "force baseline" defender's position.

He is 4 years older though, could have more stamina and endurance.
I just want to say that when I was 19 I coulda play basketball for 10 hours non stop at the peak of mt Everest.

It's baffling how tired exum gets

[size/HUGE] fixed [/size];911091 said:
There's also the very real possibility, as Vermin has said, that he isn't as tired as he appears.
Ya, he is faking tiredness in a scrimmage game against his own teammates in order to lull them to sleep so he can then school em