What's new

Jazz select Grayson Allen at 21

Dennis admits there were 2 teams trying to get infront of the Jazz to select Allen. Even after the Jazz selected him, Dennis admits they had a really good offer on the table to give Allen away.

Danny Ainge school of press conferences

I am fully aware. I'm just saying I know - know - that CarolinaJazz would be talking the worst **** on Allen if he was black/tattooed/had cornrows.

The tattoo's don't bother me much anymore! Just about everybody's got them and although they look disgusting to me, what makes me laugh and want to puke even more is these dolts that have hair styles that look like a bird landed on there head....and BUILT A NEST!

Dennis admits there were 2 teams trying to get infront of the Jazz to select Allen. Even after the Jazz selected him, Dennis admits they had a really good offer on the table to give Allen away.

LOL .. we learn something new every year. 2 years ago it was the 'balance test'. This year it's the 'hand pads'.

It's really comical watching DL trying to explain these tedious concept to wide eyed reporters.. LOL ..

I like the pick a lot. On the other hand Draymond Green is still an immature douche **** and he's an impactful player, though I doubt Allen will be as good as him.

Now were grinding corn! I have no doubt in my mind that if the Jazz got Draymond Green it would put them over the top! Plus, remember if Green came to the Jazz then GS would have to replace him with a lesser talent and impact player!

Well, now that I think about it, the guys he mentioned, Hornacek and Kanter, both were elite shooters for their positions.

I guess I can see how 'hand pads' helped with shooting, and how that's gonna help Grayson.

Now were grinding corn! I have no doubt in my mind that if the Jazz got Draymond Green it would put them over the top! Plus, remember if Green came to the Jazz then GS would have to replace him with a lesser talent and impact player!
My buddies who know **** about the draft are telling me Grayson Allen is dirty like Draymond (say it like the song Moves like Jagger).

if jazz think he is a good player, I trust them. Go jazz

Sent from my iPhone using JazzFanz

Obviously not happy with the pick, but now that ive had the night to think about it.

Some positives:

-Kid hustles

-He plays with passion (this is the only thing I really love about him, I love players that bring it, and he does)

-He does have some offensive game (my worry is his consistency)

-The tripping was never a negative. A championship team usually has some bullies on it. I want a mean team.

-He measured really well at the combine

-His workout apparently was the best one this year for us

-I’d rather have Allen over Holiday and even Brown

- I would have been furious if Heurter was still on board and we drafted Allen. After Huerter went I cared less, and was hoping for a trade down.

Still I would have rather had Okobo, Spellman, even Musa, wasn’t a fan at all of Wagner at 21 but maybe now we should have taken him to replace Favors.

Like Cy and others have said Allen will probably have a fantastic summer league. I hated the pick, but now im letting it go and focusing on the positive and trusting DL. He could pan out to be a balls to the wall all out player who becomes a fan favorite. I can see that. He could provide some offensive punch. I’ll get behind him and give him a chance. I actually like his style of play a lot more than someone like Trey too cool for school Lyles. Allen is a gamer, and plays with an edge. I like that.

Allen I’ve said my peace, prove me wrong, and make this squad better. I’m supporting you now.

Last edited:
I've said this before - Grayson does(has done? if you believe it's all behind him) some stupid **** in the heat of the moment on court, but by all accounts he's a great guy off the court. My dislike of this pick has ZERO to do with supposed attitude problems. But whatever... it's done now and he's our player and I wish him nothing but to kill any competition that's in his way. It's not like he has no talent, but lets see first how he's going to get used and second how he's going to improve his consistency with his shot, his decision making when the ball is in his hand and his finishing with NBA level athletes around him at the rim. Hopefully the NBA spacing and our system that doesn't require him to handle the ball all the time will help with the transition. If he's truly the shooter DL is trying to sell him as he will undoubtedly improve our spacing and will score a ton from passes from Ricky and Donovan.

Reading this thread, this caught my attention:

Strengths
Absolutely deadly when open.

Well, if that's true that alone would make this selection a success. Rubio finds the open man and Donovan gets all the attention. Allen will get playing time with one or the other for good minutes.

Someone please explain to me how according to a source:
Weakness
Lack of elite lateral quickness

But then you read this:
Allen posted a lane agility time of 10.31 seconds. According to ESPN draft analyst Jonathon Givony, that’s the fifth-best mark in NBA Combine database history, dating back to 2000. He also had the second-best shuttle run time (3.4 seconds) in the combine and tied for the fourth-highest in both max vertical leap (40.5”) and standing vertical (32.5”) among those who worked out this year.

Doesn't the lane agility drill test lateral quickness?

Reading this thread, this caught my attention:

Strengths
Absolutely deadly when open.

Well, if that's true that alone would make this selection a success. Rubio finds the open man and Donovan gets all the attention. Allen will get playing time with one or the other for good minutes.

Someone please explain to me how according to a source:
Weakness
Lack of elite lateral quickness

But then you read this:
Allen posted a lane agility time of 10.31 seconds. According to ESPN draft analyst Jonathon Givony, that’s the fifth-best mark in NBA Combine database history, dating back to 2000. He also had the second-best shuttle run time (3.4 seconds) in the combine and tied for the fourth-highest in both max vertical leap (40.5”) and standing vertical (32.5”) among those who worked out this year.

Doesn't the lane agility drill test lateral quickness?
Those tests don't really correlate great with on court performance. For example, Devin Booker had the best lane agility ever recorded and he's one of the worst players moving his feet on defense. It's more than moving his feet, it's about reaction, technique, willingness to commit to defending and giving effort. There are about a dozen other factors that are probably more important to being a good defender than a lane agility test.

The negative reaction reminds me of when my Browns took Baker #1. Two of the most polarizing players in college sports.

I think you'll all feel better once you listen to DL interviews and his reasoning.