What's new

Jazz sign Bojan

I LOVE THIS MOVE!!!

Dennis promised better shooting. We got it. Con, BogDon, the real Don, and Gobert have never played with this much talent around them. The spacing is there. The defense is there. The offense is there. Lookout west! We are here!!!

I haven't posted in ages but this offseason is shaping up really great. No guarantee of course that the end result will be any better than the last couple of seasons because except if Donovan does the Jump, to go all the way when you don't have a top 5 star in this league is really really hard.

But the FO did what they had to do to give themselves the best possible chance to achieve this :
- With Conley and Gobert the 1-5 defensive axis is very strong;
- With Conley a top quality PG that can also spread the floor and attack the PnR for his own score will open the game for DM and the Gobert roll ;
- With Bogdan and Conley a big big upgrade in perimeter shooting over Rubio and Favors that will open the floor for DM and the Gobert roll.

They have built about as good a starting 5 as a team like the Jazz can do. Now let's round up the bench to make it solid and this is a team that has a chance to win it all. It is a chance, not an overwhelming one, but the chance is now there.

This is really good.

@Jazz4ever

See, this is what I meant about us having a low floor - with the Ed Davis signing IMO we targeted specifically raising the floor of this team in case of Rudy getting injured. He's not as good as Rudy, but he approximates some of the things Rudy does and is one of the better floor-raiser for a team like ours. I like this signing. It makes sense. It doesn't raise the ceiling at all, because you cannot play him with our best player on the floor, but I guess all other moves we made this off-season are ceiling raisers so it's OK to use somewhat premium resource we had left as an insurance for our best player and replacement for what we lost most of by losing Favors.

Last edited:
@Jazz4ever

See, this is what I meant about us having a low floor - with the Ed Davis signing IMO we targeted specifically raising the floor of this team in case of Rudy getting injured. He's not as good as Rudy, but he approximates some of the things Rudy does and is one of the better floor-raiser for a team like ours. I like this signing. It makes sense. It doesn't raise the ceiling at all, because you cannot play him with our best player on the floor, but I guess all other moves we made this off-season are ceiling raisers so it's OK to use somewhat premium resource we had left as an insurance for our best player and replacement for what we lost most of by losing Favors.
Very well said!

So, legit question. Is Utah a Superteam now?
I don't think so. Not by the classic definition and probably not even by any definition.

In the last decade or whatever it has been, most super teams were created by players, not FOs. A group of superstars talked amongst themselves and decided to join forces to nearly guarantee a championship. Destination undetermined.

The Warriors were a bit different, but they didn't become a super team until they beat a super team in the finals. It was at that point that superstars started taking pay cuts to be on the team.

The Jazz have a fairly organic core of drafted players in Gobert and Mitchell. Two phenomenal players, neither of whom has been an all-star as of yet. But the Jazz have cultivated their reputation as an organization, and the head coach, Snyder, is an extremely well respected coach. I think much of what happened this off-season is due to the outreach of Donovan Mitchell and the league wide respect for Gobert. People saw the awesome situation those two amazing players were in with such a fantastic coach and front office and all the sudden, with Golden State falling off they saw the Jazz as a legit option to seek success and even (knock on wood) a title.

We're giving Zanik a lot of credit for this off season, but there's A LOT that plays into it, imho. I think the Jazz were able to go in with a really really strong pitch and all the sudden this "non-FA destination" started looking like a pretty nice destination.

I don't think so. Not by the classic definition and probably not even by any definition.

In the last decade or whatever it has been, most super teams were created by players, not FOs. A group of superstars talked amongst themselves and decided to join forces to nearly guarantee a championship. Destination undetermined.

The Warriors were a bit different, but they didn't become a super team until they beat a super team in the finals. It was at that point that superstars started taking pay cuts to be on the team.

The Jazz have a fairly organic core of drafted players in Gobert and Mitchell. Two phenomenal players, neither of whom has been an all-star as of yet. But the Jazz have cultivated their reputation as an organization, and the head coach, Snyder, is an extremely well respected coach. I think much of what happened this off-season is due to the outreach of Donovan Mitchell and the league wide respect for Gobert. People saw the awesome situation those two amazing players were in with such a fantastic coach and front office and all the sudden, with Golden State falling off they saw the Jazz as a legit option to seek success and even (knock on wood) a title.

We're giving Zanik a lot of credit for this off season, but there's A LOT that plays into it, imho. I think the Jazz were able to go in with a really really strong pitch and all the sudden this "non-FA destination" started looking like a pretty nice destination.

Great post.

I'm not saying it wasn't a good signing. I'm saying I know what this board complains about and I want to be on record.
We are fans. We complain about everything, duh.

But you are tilting at windmills right now my friend. Many of us have been asking for exactly this for years. For the FO to stop sitting on their assets and do something with it by hell.

And they did.

I for one will be happy even if we end up in the lottery next year, because at least we tried, took the risks. Did SOMETHING.

But I will still do plenty of complaining because I'm a fan and that's what fans do.

Duh.

I kinda hope Bogdanovic is the starting 4. I still remember the effects Okur had on our offense, pick’n roll was damn near impossible to stop, between his pick and pop and Booz’s pick’n roll to the hoop. DWill was able to find plenty of room to operate and allowed Brewer to get so many layups from Deron never seen a wing get so many easy layups on back door cuts,and it was all thanks to having a great stretch big, in that case being from the 5 man, but Bogdanovic at the 4 could cause monumental issues for the opponents defense. Is it possible our offense could have even more open looks than last year? I’m imagining a Mr. Burns look in Quin right now just thinking of ways his new toys can play havoc with other defenses. My god I’m so hungry for jazz basketball. Somewhere in the heavens LHM is grinning from ear to ear. I think we finally get a championship. It’s coming. **** the Lakers, even if Leonard signs there.

We are fans. We complain about everything, duh.

But you are tilting at windmills right now my friend. Many of us have been asking for exactly this for years. For the FO to stop sitting on their assets and do something with it by hell.

And they did.

I for one will be happy even if we end up in the lottery next year, because at least we tried, took the risks. Did SOMETHING.

But I will still do plenty of complaining because I'm a fan and that's what fans do.

Duh.

Same Log. We needed the Jazz to go hard and they did. And I’m not overly risky ways. We didn’t bring in volatile guys. We didn’t trade essential depth players like Ingles and O’Neale...

Even if this blows up in our faces it was absolutely the right call.

I kinda hope Bogdanovic is the starting 4. I still remember the effects Okur had on our offense, pick’n roll was damn near impossible to stop, between his pick and pop and Booz’s pick’n roll to the hoop. DWill was able to find plenty of room to operate and allowed Brewer to get so many layups from Deron never seen a wing get so many easy layups on back door cuts,and it was all thanks to having a great stretch big, in that case being from the 5 man, but Bogdanovic at the 4 could cause monumental issues for the opponents defense. Is it possible our offense could have even more open looks than last year? I’m imagining a Mr. Burns look in Quin right now just thinking of ways his new toys can play havoc with other defenses. My god I’m so hungry for jazz basketball. Somewhere in the heavens LHM is grinning from ear to ear. I think we finally get a championship. It’s coming. **** the Lakers, even if Leonard signs there.

Is it possible we get more open looks?

I think it's likely we do. We'll actually have guys who can shoot!

Rudy just might average 20/15 with the open space he'll have.