What's new

jazz vs spurs in 2nd round of WFC?

chochem

it seems with the way Spurs is playing, they will be the 1st in WF, i'm hoping jazz stays in 4th or 5th, face the OKC in 1st round, and face the Spurs in 2nd round, this is jazz 's best situation to avoid lakers until the 3rd round and hope Dirk's mavs can knock out the defending champs...

The best chance for the Jazz to reach WCF is attained by getting a top3 seed. The easiest path would be Hornets-Jazz in 1st round + Mavs-Jazz in 2nd round while Spurs and Lakers clash in an epic 2nf round matchup. Those are two teams I would not want to face earlier.

it seems with the way Spurs is playing, they will be the 1st in WF, i'm hoping jazz stays in 4th or 5th, face the OKC in 1st round, and face the Spurs in 2nd round, this is jazz 's best situation to avoid lakers until the 3rd round and hope Dirk's mavs can knock out the defending champs...

2nd round of the WFC?

Anyway, we'll see where the Spurs are at the end of the season. Bubbles have a tendency to burst.

2nd round of the WFC?

Anyway, we'll see where the Spurs are at the end of the season. Bubbles have a tendency to burst.

bubbles-the-wire.jpg

Waaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyy too early for this type of speculation.

However, when we consider history I think we should avoid both the Lakers and Spurs as long as we can. Both these teams have dominated us for most of the past decade.

The Jazz should try for the number 1 seed.
It'd also help if the refs give 10,000 make up calls against the Lakers and Spurs in the playoffs to partially balance out the special help they've gotten every year for the last 30 and 15 years respectively.

Far too early in the season to conjecture about potential playoff matchups, but I'm with Thriller on this one: avoid the Lakers and Spurs. I'll even take it a step further and say our best bets would be to play New Orleans, Denver, or OKC (the Thunder would be a bit tougher though).

If the playoffs started today, the Jazz would be the 4th seed and would be playing against OKC. Both Denver and New Orleans are 2.5 games back and are in 6th and 7th place, respectively.

I'll beat the tired drum and say that a trade could inject some spark into our lineup. You guys know my preferences...SJax or Iggy for AK47

Who knows what could change.
Look at Dallas. They were winning like crazy until they got hit with injuries. Without Dirk, they can't beat anybody. And now, they probably lost Butler for the season. He was averaging 15 points a game.

However, I think for the Jazz to become serious contenders to go all the way, they need some sort of major improvement. I am very impressed with a 4th place record so far, but 4th place seeds don't often win it all. You can't count on signing players like Gasol or Amare. The best chance of becoming a true contender is if they get amazing skills development out of some of the young players during the season. Guys like Hayward , Price , Miles, Fesenko, Watson, Evans. I am impressed with the bench contribution so far. I am impressed with how the Jazz have developed some players like Millsap and Matthews in the past. They need to see tranformative improvement from not just one, but about 3 of the young guys this year, and continued contribution from the vets. Against the odds, but not impossible.

Last edited:
I think the Lakers are very beatable. I don't think there are any teams the Jazz simply cannot beat, but I'd like to avoid the Spurs until the WCF.

Seriously? Why are we even discussing this? It's not even halfway through the season and you want to discuss possible playoff implications and matchups? No.

No.

According to acronymfinder, here are a couple of possible interpretations of the acronym "WFC". I'm not yet deep enough into my analysis to have deducted which of the following actually have 2 rounds.

Weed Free Check (Possibly appropriate given the content and posters in this thread)
Winter Fluorine Conference (Everyone bought their tickets for this yet? Or are you holding out for the Summer Calcium Symposium?)
World Furniture Congress (Imagine the wild times)
Women For Change (I believe Katie belongs to this club -- not entirely sure)
Worcester Fencing Club (Sounds kind of messy. I stick to A1.)
Waluigi Fan Club (More of a Bowser fan myself)
Working for Change (I believe this is a fast food workers union)
Washington Flanders Club (Stupid Flanders)
Wings for Christ (This should dispel any notion that He's a vegetarian)
Washington Flute Circle (Rumor has it that they also do other shapes)
World Freak Center (official website: jazzfanz.com)
Wild Fish Carvings (Not clear if it's the fish that are wild or the carvings)
Waters Fraction Collector (Understand it collects denominators only. Extra charge for numerators)
Women Fuelwood Carriers (I'll handle my own wood, thanks.)
White Fish Collection (Racists)
Who the Fish Cares (Indeed. WFC?)