What's new

Jazz @ Warriors - 8:00 PM MT Sunday - ESPN

Which helps the team in the long run. You run a win now at all costs franchise and you run the risk of becoming the Knicks (although the Knicks are finally improving a bit) or the Cavs if it doesn't work...which it only does for 1/32 teams each year.
Long run, schl0ng run. Been like that for the longest time.

If the Celtics had hang on to Jefferson and their lotto pick instead of trading for Garnett and Allen, they wouldn't have had a ring and probably still be in the lottery or a perpetual also-ran like the Jazz. And up to now, the Celtics are still contending.

But sure, with Deron likely to leave with all this same-old same old and the great Hayward era upon us soon, let's try the same track for another decade or so and see what happens. Or more accurately, doesn't happen.

Long run, schl0ng run. Been like that for the longest time.

If the Celtics had hang on to Jefferson and their lotto pick instead of trading for Garnett and Allen, they wouldn't have had a ring and probably still be in the lottery or a perpetual also-ran like the Jazz. And up to now, the Celtics are still contending.

But sure, with Deron likely to leave with all this same-old same old and the great Hayward era upon us soon, let's try the same track for another decade or so and see what happens. Or more accurately, doesn't happen.

Take heart: even after Deron leaves, we will still have Jerry.

Watching the offense last night was a horror show. And it's not like the defense was any thing of beauty. But absolutely nobody is synced. I still believe this team will figure it out, but this season could get really ugly.

I dont think it can get uglier than this...I mean, the Jazz scored 81 points against a team that plays no defense.

The crazy thing is we've just had a nice stretch playing teams that don't defend. And the offense got worse. Which means guys are not close to figuring out how to play together. This is training camp stuff. I really wish I knew the inside story of what the coaching staff is doing to get the players going the right direction.

Very happy for Bell. That's exactly the kind of game where he should have gotten extended minutes because he made contributions across the box score. Of course, anything that makes Jerry think we need Bell playing 30 minutes regularly terrifies me. This is clearly going to be a Knight/DFish/Harp atrocity that never goes away.

Not just now. If you are a longtime Jazz fan you would realize by now that this has been the story for ever. As long as this thing is run by the Millers the Jazz philosophy is going to be- do as much as possible to field a team that qualifies for the playoffs. Beyond that, anything extra should be just a bonus. Championship ain't worth shaking up things or breaking the bank. Fan base loyalty and franchise stability is the bottomline. Fielding a "competetive" team that makes the playoffs is the business goal. Championship can just be like a nice icing on the cake, whenever it comes.

VJ, that's all I've ever asked of the Jazz: field a competetive team that makes the playoffs. We are not going to win a championship with how the NBA is currently modeled. Fans that expect that to happen are delusional. I'm thankful to the millers for saving this team and implementing it's successful business model that has kept it alive and well in Utah. If fans don't like it they can stop watching and buying tickets.

The Utah Jazz are the only organization in pro sports where the head coach gets a free pass.

Yep. They'll just say the players aren't playing hard enough, but that's an unrealistic expectation both in the NBA and any business. If you think your boss is a dope and/or their leadership isn't getting results, you're not gonna work as hard for them as you otherwise would.

Yep. They'll just say the players aren't playing hard enough, but that's an unrealistic expectation both in the NBA and any business. If you think your boss is a dope and/or their leadership isn't getting results, you're not gonna work as hard for them as you otherwise would.

Thats the real world...