What's new

Jazz will not go over LT

slc

It's looking like Jazz will not go over LT for even one year. That's why they let Boozer go.

They probably would have kept him if they could stay under the LT and carry a 14 man roster. They will not sign or trade for anyone else that will put them over the LT. So Jazz will fill a 13 or 14 man roster without going over the LT. They will survive as best they can this year until they have cleared out payroll to start next season.

Then they will have the money to pursue more legit pieces to be a contender. Jazz just don't have the surplus funds like other elite teams and billionaire owners to survive. Seems like they only have 9 or 10 mil left to fill out their roster this year. By the time they sign Matthews, Fes, etc they won't have much left to sign FAs.

So fans have to be happy with what Jazz put on the floor this year and hope for the 10-11 season to free up more serious money to build a contender.

By my count, we're one day into the period during which teams can sign free agents. By another count, we're one of about 25 teams that haven't signed one yet. Personally, I'm going to step back from the panic button for a little while.

Barkley said it best when the Lakers put us out. It was something like why bring Booz back? The Lakers have stopped the Jazz how many years in a row now? It's time to try something different.

Barkley said it best when the Lakers put us out. It was something like why bring Booz back? The Lakers have stopped the Jazz how many years in a row now? It's time to try something different.

This is exactly hitting the nail on the head, but you're going to have a real hard time convincing Jazz fans of this.

This is what I find to be the most annoying thing about most Jazz fans: We're all at a point where every single last one of us Jazz fans know that a Jazz team lead by Carlos Boozer is simply never going to beat the Lakers or most of the other contenders for that matter. Yet, when Utah finally let Boozer walk, Jazz fans are panicking, calling for KOC's head, etc. Some will say we should have traded Carlos before we got to this point, but I'm not on that bandwagon. First of all, which player could we have traded Carlos for 1 year ago that was going to brighten the future of the Utah Jazz? I actually like the idea that Utah let Carlos go and got financial freedom in the process. Sure, it might not be financial freedom until 2011 when both Booz and AK are gone, but it's still financial freedom none the less.

This will put the orginization back in the driver's seat in regards to building this roster the way it needs to be built in regards to beating the Lakers and other contenders. While I haven't called for KOC's head like many other Jazz fans, I will readily admit that he has now entered a 2 year window in which he's either going to save this franchise, or fall flat on his *** and be fired after D-Williams bolts to Dallas.

With that being said, I'm going to bet O'Connor does what needs to be done. The guy came on board at the very end of the Stockton and Malone era and has done enough good to keep one of the smallest market sports teams in the nation a winner and a viable product.

Maybe 2010 will be tough to watch or maybe Utah suprises us with some creative use of these trade exceptions and we actually head into the fall excited about Utah's prospects. Either way, this team has said goodbye to Boozer and that was something that had to be done if they were ever going to take the next step.

By my count, we're one day into the period during which teams can sign free agents. By another count, we're one of about 25 teams that haven't signed one yet. Personally, I'm going to step back from the panic button for a little while.

Eh...
Dallas
Atlanta
Miami
Boston
Chicago
Milwaukee
L.A. Lakers
New Jersey
Phoenix
OKC (extension)
Memphis
New York

That's twelve, so eighteen haven't signed a player? That's unless I'm missing a team. Close enough, I guess. Still disconcerting to me a bit, though.

True. But they dumped a lot of salary and just were over by a small amount.
And by being over, it still costed them several million dollars of lost revenue from being under the cap, in addition to paying 2x on the 'small amount' over the cap.

True. But they dumped a lot of salary and just were over by a small amount.

Your favorite team is a small market team. They SHOULDN'T pay the tax. They should always strive to minimize the tax and pay it as infrequently as possible. The Jazz were 15th in revenues last season which is great for them. But the whole purpose of keeping revenues up is so that when they have to pay the tax, they can. If they're not careful, they fall to the wayside of teams like Charlotte, who were just forced to sell, or in worst case scenario Seattle. You can't be a Jazz fan if you're not willing to accept their financial constraints.

Eh...
Dallas
Atlanta
Miami
Boston
Chicago
Milwaukee
L.A. Lakers
New Jersey
Phoenix
OKC (extension)
Memphis
New York

That's twelve, so eighteen haven't signed a player? That's unless I'm missing a team. Close enough, I guess. Still disconcerting to me a bit, though.

I wasn't counting teams that signed their own free agents. And I definitely wasn't counting precisely. But very few teams to this point have signed anyone outside their teams. The whole process was stalled by the Circus. Now it's on. We'll see what KOC does.

I wasn't counting teams that signed their own free agents. And I definitely wasn't counting precisely. But very few teams to this point have signed anyone outside their teams. The whole process was stalled by the Circus. Now it's on. We'll see what KOC does.

The problem is that the Jazz have no money to spend. The MLE is tied up with Matthews currently. They don't know how much of it is going to be used by Matthews. They have the bi-annual, but you're not going to get much out of it.

The best option is the Harpring TPE. The Jazz wouldn't use Boozer's TPE until next year because that would put them in the tax. If Matthews and Fesenko come cheap enough, the Jazz can get a 6 million dollar player in a trade.

Question is, who's that 6 million dollar player?

Jazz are going to be worse next year. They have a few TPE and also the Memphis pick. Looks like they will hold off for one summer and then make their moves either during the year via trade or next summer. Deron we still love you!

The problem is that the Jazz have no money to spend. The MLE is tied up with Matthews currently. They don't know how much of it is going to be used by Matthews. They have the bi-annual, but you're not going to get much out of it.

The best option is the Harpring TPE. The Jazz wouldn't use Boozer's TPE until next year because that would put them in the tax. If Matthews and Fesenko come cheap enough, the Jazz can get a 6 million dollar player in a trade.

Question is, who's that 6 million dollar player?

And the Ronnie Brewer player. But that's the point. Those 2 TPE's aren't going to flesh themselves out in the market right away. They might need another team to unload an asset they don't want to get one they do. Or alternatively, a team that is obtaining an asset that requires them to unload one for tax purposes. As to the MLE, we'll see with Wes. If the Jazz are smart, they won't overpay and we might have our MLE. Or we might sign an MLE player and let Wes go. I'm not high on overpaying Wes, but I am high on keeping him for a low price.