Jazzfanz Bookclub

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by JazzGal, May 27, 2010.

1. JazzGal

JazzGal Well-Known Member Contributor

May 26, 2010
    Trevor H. Cooley is the author. Is that Edgewriter here?

This book has a rating of 3.95 on Goodreads so apparently must be pretty good (and the rest of the series is rated even higher). I have it on my TBR list and hopefully will get to it someday. Let us know what you think, @fishonjazz.

Edit: Rats, my library doesn't have any of his books.

2. Jazz Spazz

Jazz Spazz Inconceivable Staff Member

Aug 25, 2010
    I read a bunch of Cooley's books. He has some options for audio books as well, but I enjoyed the ebooks better. I like what I've read so far, even if it's not perfect. I found some characters annoying, but enjoyed what I've read so far in the series a good deal. He had some deals in the past where some books were free on kindle, and that got me started. I'm partway through his next series, the Jharro Grove books. I think the stories are family friendly with some unique ideas.

I did enjoy reading something that a fellow jazzfanzer wrote, that may have swayed me a bit.

moevillini likes this.
  3. Jazz Spazz

Jazz Spazz Inconceivable Staff Member

Aug 25, 2010
    After reading this post again later, I want to clarify that I like the books a lot more than it sounds from the quoted post above.
    I recommend checking them out.

moevillini likes this.
  4. fishonjazz

fishonjazz Well-Known Member Contributor 2019 Award Winner 2018 Award Winner

Nov 4, 2010
    So far (about 1/3 of the way done) I really really like it. Way more than I thought I would. I dont typically like that genre all that much but Im really enjoying it.

5. fishonjazz

Nov 4, 2010
    Ya the one im reading was free and thats the only reason i am actually reading it. wouldn't have bought it but now that im reading this one i will probably buy more books by that author.

Jazz Spazz likes this.
  6. Ostertag>Duncan

Ostertag>Duncan My Members Premium Contributor 2019 Award Winner

May 26, 2010
    Yes Cooley is Edgewriter. I still remember when he hadn't published yet but was throwing the idea around here. Congrats to him.

Sent from my XT1575 using JazzFanz mobile app

fishonjazz likes this.
  7. Lord Bullingdon

Lord Bullingdon Well-Known Member

Feb 9, 2013
    Just finished The Whale aka Moby-Dick. absolutely loved it.

8. fishonjazz

Nov 4, 2010
    I just finished the memory man series (James patterson) and it was really good.
    Now I just started book 2of the bowl of souls series (written by a fellow jazzfanzer)

9. Lord Bullingdon

Feb 9, 2013
    Alan Moore - A Small Killing (Illustrated by Oscar Zarate) is EXCELLENT. One of my favorite of Moore's works for sure.

[​IMG]

10. Rubashov

Rubashov Well-Known Member 2019 Award Winner

Dec 24, 2016
    [​IMG]

Been reading Arthur Koestler's Invisible Writing, I'm a huge fan of Koestler hence my username, the book focuses of the period covered by his two previous books, Dialogue with Death and The Scum of the Earth, both of which were written during the Spanish Civil War and the Second World War, so identities have been redacted in the early novels. The invisible writing covers the same period without any need to conceal facts, for instance when Dialogue with Death was written Koestler was working as an agent for comintern, so certain things were omitted or only alluded to, anyway if you're into the history of the European left you'll love this book.

[​IMG]

Also started reading this on my recent trip to Tasmania, was enjoying it immensely, I love Murakami, stupidly I left it on the damn plane on the way home.

11. Lord Bullingdon

Feb 9, 2013
    "One Red Paperclip" details the story of a Canadian blogger who barters from a paperclip to a house.

[​IMG]

ONE LOVE likes this.
  12. Wes Mantooth

Wes Mantooth Well-Known Member

Jul 14, 2015
    Anyone read this? I found out a couple months after I posted this that they're making it into a movie. Dicaprio starring. Scorsese directing. Highly recommend.

fishonjazz likes this.
  13. JazzGal

May 26, 2010
    I haven't read it yet, but I know lots of people who loved it.

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using JazzFanz mobile app

14. JazzGal

May 26, 2010
    I've recently been participating in Ekpe Udoh's Twitter book club. Rather fun. We just finished a Lisa Scottoline book, and the author actually joined our discussions. Ekpe is taking sign-ups for the next book if you are interested #ekpesbookclub

The next book is "Say Nothing" by Brad Parks. I won't be participating in this one since my library doesn't have it, and I'm not planning to buy it.

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using JazzFanz mobile app

15. Rubashov

Dec 24, 2016
    [​IMG]

mate of mine is clearing out his spare room to turn into a nursery for his first child which is due in a couple of months, so i've picked up a couple of free books, this was the first one i chewed through took me a couple of days.

written by a an ex-newscorp journo it documents how a bunch of Aussie Vietnam vets were screwed by their government and the Army. Not a bad read, real easy to read, its nothing special stylistically, interestingly Walker is brave enough to give the myth of ANZAC a poke and has a small shot at the pollies and establishment for building it up as this sacred cow while ignoring the reality that Australian's have only once ever fought to defend our own country and in every other conflict we have fought as the pawns of one empire or another. Anyway my next book will be this;

[​IMG]

Masters is a journo i have a lot of respect for this could be an interesting book.

16. JazzGal

May 26, 2010
    I finished a reading challenge at the end of August which took 52 books to complete, and with additional books read, I have finished 74 books this year so far. And I haven't been able to pick up a book since completing that challenge. If it wasn't for listening to Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone on audiobook, I wouldn't have anything to show for last month.

I've discovered the joys of binge-watching on Netflix this past month. I'm sure the two things aren't related.

Stars Fan likes this.
  17. Rubashov

Dec 24, 2016
    Hyper-intellectualism as a coping mechanism?

JazzGal likes this.
  18. Eenie-Meenie

Eenie-Meenie Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2012
    Just happened to see this thread. Guess I never really looked at much here except for basketball news, though in the last year I started to notice lately some political posts by The Babe and others. Wow, Jazzgal, you really are a reader. Even in the days when I poured through classic novels, I never read anywhere near that much. The Internet has been a huge factor in my reading decline.

19. JAZZGASM

JAZZGASM Guest

I just finished reading The Dictionary. I have to say, it has everything! Suspense, excitement, twists, adventures, heartbreak, betrayal. Essentially every word you can think of. I highly recommend it.

fishonjazz and JazzGal like this.
  20. gandalfe

gandalfe Well-Known Member

May 29, 2010
    Just finished the first book in the Terra Ignota series. The language is a bit difficult, and it takes some doing to put yourself in that world, but once you do, wow. I was actually planning to take a break and go though some non-fiction science (Well... evolutionary anthropology. Kind of fuzzy stuff, but I love it) when I was done with it, but the last chapter was so gripping I had to pull up the next one and start on it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terra_Ignota

[​IMG]